1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Hinge Hole Pattern

Discussion in 'Trouble Shooting - Support - Help Section' started by meistertek, Dec 27, 2008.

1. meistertek

meistertek Member

While checking the pre-drilled pattern against the hinges I noticed that the holes did not line up. I am guessing I should just go ahead and pre-drill my own holes according to the hinge hole patten I have.

I am wondering if the hinge supplier changed the hinge to one with a differnt pattern and now the holes don't line up. I attached the hinge bag label and hinge over hole photos for reference. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. WW8S

WW8S Member

I've noticed the same issue with my hinges. I think my hinge was stamped Stanley, I'll have to look at the bag to see if it is identical to yours.
    Dave

3. meistertek

meistertek Member

My hinges are stamped "National". I wonder if I stopped by Lowes and took a look at some different hinges if I could find some with the right pattern. I'll transfer the wood hole pattern to a piece of paper and go to check it out.

It's probably not a big deal, but it would be nice to line up with wood hole pattern. On the other hand the pre-drilled holes are only in the first layer.

4. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

I had the same issue, so I just went with beefier hinges...

5. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Yep, I had the same issue. Just drilled new pilot holes and all is well.

6. meistertek

meistertek Member

Thanks for the feedback guys! I decided to go ahead and fill in the pre-drilled holes with super glue. Now that the glue is dried I will drill in the new hole pattern as shown in pencil in the attached images.

Interstingly when I went to Lowes to look at the hinges I found a hinge that matched the existing phlatprinter hinge hole pattern glued to the wooden display board in front of the hinge box. So this makes me believe that the hole pattern of the hinges was changed by the company that supplies Lowes with hinges.

Maybe future phlatprinters can be updated for this new hinge hole patern. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Thank you for that update, on the hindges. I was going over it trying to figure out what the problem could be there, now it makes perfect sense I started to think maybe they just had no way of machining them the same everytime. But I will get the new ones and make some comparisons, and redesign.
    Thank you again
    Mark

8. meistertek

meistertek Member

Now that the super glue is dried in the pre-drilled holes I went ahead and drilled the new hole pattern to match the hinge pattern. I am glad that I super glued the existing holes first as my drill bit would have walked over right into a couple of them. I also predrilled all my new holes with a 3/32" diameter drill bit and it was much easier to screw in the drywall screws by hand (my electric screw driver batteries were dead!). Even with the larger pre-drilled holes the hinge mounting is very secure and strong.

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Just my $0.02: They may just change the hing design/vendor/etc on the next shipment they receive, or it may be different depending on where one buys the hinges so the re-design will be for naught. Just a suggestion, but I would leave the holes out all together. I just drilled new holes with out filling the old ones, and had no problems. Now if you had control over the hinges you were using, then yes design them in.

10. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Good points, I really wanted to keep this so that everyone could easily find parts at their local hardware store, with the exceptions of a few parts. But from the looks of it when they want to change their products we will have to change our parts as well.
    You have a good point on leaving them out all together or post a link direct to the vendors.
    Thank you
    Mark

11. meistertek

meistertek Member

My vote is to leave the hole pattern out all together, that way if an unexpected hole pattern change happens I does not matter since the holes will be drilled to the hinges pattern that is available at the time of the build.

I am guessing getting rid of the hole pattern will probably eliminate a tool change in the mfg process of these two parts also!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

I'll "third" or "fourth" that vote. My holes didn't match either, but I just drilled new holes and kept on building - I never even thought about filling the old holes. :oops: