1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

How to assemble the parts I made in SU

Discussion in 'Sketchup Help' started by MartinT, Jan 10, 2010.

1. MartinT

MartinT Member

Hello guys,

So I've been busy for some time making my design in SU, I did it via draw tracing a 3 view but did it in in 2D since it will not have a full fuse anyway.
    So the parts are mostly done, but now I want to assemble them in SU to see how things are looking, and to judge some parts for positioning. (like all you pros do it, have the parts inside the safe cutting area, and have the 3D model ("painted and all") a bit futher on in the .skp file)
    I tried various camera views and buttons and things but have really no clue how to go about.
    I viewed various tutorials, which where very helpful, they got me where I am now(!) but no info on literally "picking a piece up, rotating it into the correct plane, and connecting it where it is supposed to go..."
    So, is there a tutorial on that, or any instructions?

regards,
    Martin

PS, different Q: what does the explode command do?

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Hey Martin T,
    Mark had some good vids that showed this very well but I can't find them. They were in 3 parts on how to design a plane in Sketchup. Also Anyairs full fuse vid here: viewtopic.php?f=94&t=82 would be another one that should show you how.

Basically you will be grouping or making your parts into components, then use the move tool mainly to move the part and or rotate the part while its in a group.

The explode command will ungroup or uncomponent (new word).

3. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I normally, always group instead of making components. That's because components, I think, are saved in your drawing even when you delete them? You would want to use components, if you had multiple parts that are identical. With components, when you just editing one of them, they all get updated with that change.

There is a rotate tool, but I almost never use it. The move tool, is much easier to rotate groups with. And of course you need it to move stuff, anyways. Check out this youtube tutorial:

4. MartinT

MartinT Member

Thanks, you guys are fast!

I need to group parts first, and then it should be easy, as shown in the tut here above!

Once again, thank you!
    Martin

5. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

A quick Tutorial on how I take a 2d drawing and make it 3D

Cheers
    E-T

6. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I prefer the rotating tool. When you use the rotating in the move tool you can't snap to the axis' but you can in the rotating tool.

7. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

I didn't show in the video But I use both tools. :cool: first I line all the parts on axis with the Rotate tool. Explode parts then regroup them. Then when using the move tool all your axis are snapable. 90-180 and so on.

Cheers
    E-T

8. MartinT

MartinT Member

Thanks E-T!