1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

I give up!

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Help' started by ewo, Nov 15, 2009.

1. ewo

ewo Moderator Staff Member

Ok Brothers........... I give up, I have been working on this since before Holloween and still no go.

Can someone with more experteze look at this file and tell me what is wrong??/
    I can get cut lines to work on some of the parts, Just some. and its an exact copy of the full size gorilla. :(

It just aint working for me Attached files Monkey.skp (3.8 MB)Â

2. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Actually, a while back when you mentioned you were going to do a half size gorilla, I had a look at the files. And came up with probably the same problem. I started a thread on it: viewtopic.php?f=100&t=1181&p=10892#p10892 You could try the old version .918, as reported to work in that thread. I have posted dos batch files to switch between versions. I never fully understood what the problem was. The new phatscript is about to come out and hopefully will fix the problems with the over lapping phlatlines. If you look at the space between the outside cut phlatline and the orginal part there should a surface (grey). If not then the gcode won't be generated there. If you look closely at the yellow phlatline, you can try and correct it manually. I tried it on a simple part and it seems to work. The tricky thing is even after you get the yellow phlatline outline correct, you still have to force it to make a surface. You can force it to do this by just drawing a line over an exsisting line. Especially, if you look in the slot of the simple shapes, you see some weird T shape thing (at the very end) which I think is the frequent cause of the problems. Don't see why they are there. It's just a regular 1/8" slot, not a sharp angle?

3. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Hey Ewo.
    I took a look at your file. I am able to get it to create the cut lines with the newest script that will be coming out soon (tonight I understand). If you can hold off till then I'm sure you will find Tim's work with the offsets will fix your problems. Basically the file wasn't a very clean file to start with. There are a lot of acute angles that cause a lot of problems with the way Sketchup handles offsets.
    This happens sometimes when dxf's get imported in to sketchup.
    After you use the new script on it you will see it takes a while to generate the actual cut line. This is Tim's work going into action.

4. firetrappe

firetrappe Member

Bruce, i've had a look at your file and there seem to be a couple of problems that i've spotted so far.

Firstly there are quite a few stray lines dotted around. If you haven't already got the 'stray lines' plugin then download it from here (free) : http://www.smustard.com/script/StrayLines put it in your plugins folder and when you restart Sketchup it will show up in the Plugins drop-down menu. Choose 'label' from this menu and it will show you where all the stray lines are in the file. You can delete these if they are not needed or join them together if necessary.

The second thing i've noticed is that some of the Outside cut lines overlap. This is a common problem due to problems with the 'offset' tool in SU, The new version of the script which is due to be released very soon should prevent this happening,

It's midnight over here in the UK, so I haven't got time to look at it further tonight, but i'm sure the other guys will have it fixed for you in no time.

Si.

5. Eflybob

Eflybob Member

I took a quick look.It appears that some segments are on the WHITE layer, some segments are on layer0... Try moving everything to the same layer. Scott..

6. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

ewo, I think version 922 due to be released, I thought this weekend, will solve your problem.

I am able to get the parts to generate correct gcode, but it taking quite a bit of time for the paths to be analyzed. You will have to be patient selecting parts and marking the paths.

I did not make the tabs, but I did manage to make all of the cut paths for you...

By the way... Tim spent a lot of time on the new 922 version and the script changes he made specifically address this issue. You will notice that it takes a while for the paths to be analyzed but that is because the script is doing its job sorting out all the overlapping angles which prior to version 922 cause problems with the cutting.

The new version should be available to everyone very soon, maybe even later tonight. Attached files Monkey.skp (6.2 MB)Â gorilla.cnc (637.5 KB)Â

7. ewo

Thanks Flash ........ That is a great help........ :D

I will try to add the tabbing and get it all cut out

Thanks to everyone for your help. i cant wait for the new script!

8. ewo

Si, i am downloading stray lines now.
    Thanks for the link

EDIT: I already had the plugin. i forgot that i had it. It didnt find nothing on the parts that i tried it on

9. ewo

Ok now what ? Will i have to regroup ?

Attached files [​IMG]

10. gasmasher

gasmasher New Member

That dialog should only appear if some of the cut lines were created with an older version of phlatscript. If some of them are older then you need to upgrade before generating gcode and all grouping will be deleted in the process. Unfortunately there isn't a way around deleting the groups due to the way Sketchup stores data about the cut lines.

11. ewo

Yes some were created with the old script.

I will upgrade then :) Thanks

12. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

You guyz are awesome. Thank you so much for helping ewo.

13. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I've got to add that Tim put in an algorithm to automatically find the best path, so you don't have to regroup. Unless you want to force it to cut a certain pattern. But it looks awfully tough to try and select those parts. :shock:

14. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

remember all you need to so is triple click to select a part instead of trying to left drag a selection. Then you can right click to make a group or assign a shortcut key to the group function. This is a quick way to set your cutting order
    Mark

15. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Mark, that's a good tip. I knew about the double click, but not the triple.

I got this quick video capture of the gorilla automatic cut order, using the v922 ps:
    Attached files Gorilla cut order_video capture.zip (383 KB)Â

16. ewo

I had no clue how to go about regroupling this file.

Thanks for the info Mark ! :) I assigned a key for the group function ;)

17. firetrappe

firetrappe Member

Bruce, i'm glad you're getting this file sorted out. Just a quick note about the Stray Lines plugin... If you select everthing on the page using the select tool and then run the plugin it will label all the stray lines in one go. IIRC when I tried that last night on your original file it found nearly 40.

Let us know how the monkey comes out when you've cut it :)

Si.

18. ewo

Thanks Si, Im tabbing the files now and will cut it when im done.

I have ran the file several times for debugging and it looks like its going to work fine. I will post some pictures here of the finished Gorilla and then post the files to the other thread if all goes well.

Thanks for the information. I didnt know i could run the stray line tool on the hole file at once........