1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Import file and can't do anything?

Discussion in 'Sketchup Help' started by 72cheyenne, Nov 20, 2009.

1. 72cheyenne

72cheyenne New Member

Hi, I got sketchup pro a couple weeks ago and when I try to put a 3-view of an airplane in it I can't do anything 3d or really at all with it. What am I doing wrong? I've watched a bunch of videos and read a bunch of articles but still can't figure it out. I must be missing something.
    Thanks
    Nigel

2. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I assume you have imported a picture and want to move/rotate it. Since the pic should be imported grouped, it can all be done with the move tool. Here is a video on the use of the move tool:

3. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Kwok, I think what Nigel means is that he had put the three-view picture of a plane and wants it to be 'put together' to be 3D. If I'm right, the move tool will not do it.

To get 3D, Nigel, you'll have to put the 3 views together yourself. It's quite involved, but unfortunately there is no way around it. :( :D

Welcome to the forum, BTW.

4. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

The only manipulation that can be done to an imported image by SU is Move, Scale and Rotate. Other tools like Push-Pull for example, are only for your active model that you have created.

The only real reason to import a 3-view image is for reference only. Use it to trace the model or parts. The 3D aspect is created entirely by you. SU does not have an option to do this automatically, however it does have many tools and plugins which makes 3D modeling simple.

5. 72cheyenne

72cheyenne New Member

Yes, tigerpilot is right. I watched other site tutorials on this subject and there is a guy that does a J-3 cub off three views and is able to push and pull and do all kinds of things with it. I guess I'm just trying to get pointed in the right direction. If you could possibly get me started I would sure appreciate it. Thanks

6. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

72cheyenne, as I've said, it's quite involved. You start by tracing the outline of of the fuse. The top or the side, as you wish. Once it's done you can 'pull' it. You then do the same to the other view. Then they have to be combined. It's not as hard to do as it sounds, it just take some time to do it. You'll have to look up all you can on SU and then just start trying to do it. It will come to you eventually. I promise. :D That's how we all learned it. Trial and error. :D

7. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member