1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

list of my build mods....

Discussion in 'Original Phlatprinter MODIFICATIONS' started by rjarois, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Didn't you save the file in Sketchup before generating the cut files?

2. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

dennis, i just traced, and made cut files, thats what i saved. here is the original file i used. randy.

Attached files FFFeagle56_sm.pdf (484.1 KB)Â

3. rjarois

wachin mark work on his MK-2 build, sparked me to finally finish my original phlatprinter....the slot area flexes allot and is weak, so i got a piece of 1/8 x 1 aluminum flat stock and used 30min epoxy and some weight to flatten on the old rock...after i did that i installed my vacuum set-up. the old monkey hacker came out in me as i started choppin.....hole saw to start, finishin up the hack with the dremel. it isn't pretty but it should work with the 5 horsepower shop vac. the slot in the table was done before as i needed clearance for the 280in oz Z-axis stepper. hopefully it will pull the foam out. since i have the printer runnin so good the foam dust is gettin deep, lols. randy.
    reinforcement support being installed
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    monkey table vacuum hack....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Lookin good! Lookin good! I could use that. Love the way you have you top secured so you can remove it too!

5. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Great Job Randy!
    I added a 3/8" hardwood spar on my lid sometime back. It made a huge difference.

6. rjarois

thanks 3-d, i had to be extra carefull because of the dremel nose mount....it comes pretty close to the bottom of the top.

7. rjarois

i want to report the results of the latest mods.....the 1/8 aluminum reinforcement added good stiffness to the slot area. but made it a tighter squeeze to press the spindle lock for tool changes. i had to make up a thiner tool to hold the lock pin, but the mod was worth it regardless...... now the vacuum table works great!! before i used printer, i took some foamboard and taped over the open slot in the back of printer. my front and back table supports block off the top slots. the big 5hp shop-vac pulls all the air thru the top cutting slot area. you can hear the strong air vortex as it is getting sucked into the slot, it is very powerfull. i cut two foamie planes out, and when i was done, i looked to see if ther was any foam debris....it was clean, could not see any foam particles. the vacuum mod works beautifully, and this will end the foam mess i used to have. peace, randy.
    table supports block off top slots, blocked the rest with foamboard.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Randy! that is too cool man!
    You come up with some truly great ideas man
    Nice one
    Mark

9. rjarois

thanks mark...the only downside to the vacuum mod is the loud 5hp shop-vac. but to have the inside of the phlatprinter cabinet in a strong vacuum like that is worth it, as the foam residue is just gone. the air rushing into the top slot......lets just say the foam dust, particles and debris are not escaping the strong vortex the strong vac makes. to me its worth the noise to not have a mess in my basement....heck i bumped my overhead light fixture the other day, and it was like raining foam, lols. now that will be a problem of the past :D randy.

10. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

Randy, do you think it is pulling the foam down flat onto the slot????

Cheers
    E-T

11. rjarois

glen, i donno...i cut a couple models, and really didnt pay no attention...except ther was no foam debris when done cuttin... :D :D

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Foam debris?? If that was a 6hp motor, the whole PP would probably implode from the vacuum! :lol: Then you'd have MDF debris!

Maybe that mod should include the installation of a vacuum gage to the pp case. :lol:

Ooo - Ooo - I've got it! You should add a port and a vacuum chamber off the side of the pp. Then you could vacuum-infuse seasonings into meats and maybe vacuum-seal those bulk grocery items! Or pack an entire closet full of clothes into a Zip-lock sandwich bag. That way, the "lady of the house" could find culinary or domestic reasons to "allow" you to use your PP more often! ;)

Seriously Randy, that is a great looking addition to your machine. :D

(Is there no-one who will offer up the obvious pun - - - "This mod sucks" ??)

13. rjarois

lmao @ dennis. :D :D :D man, ya kill me dennis.....as you know at this point and time, i have to use what i got layin around....when i was hookin up that 5hp vac, i was thinkin man oh man, lols....the thing is overkill to say the least.....next time i fire it up, i will see if the side walls deflect in, lols. randy.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

:lol: lol, That's what I'm talkin' 'bout, Randy.

15. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Late breaking news this just in.
    Man get sucked into his Phlatprinter though the cutting slot.
    The man was ok and when asked why he hooked up a 5hp vac to the Phlatprinter, he simple stated
    LOL
    :D :lol: :D :lol:
    Too funny Randy, nice work
    Mark

16. rjarois

thanks fellas....this vac-mod has made the phlatprinter version-1 complete. i know i have said that more than once in my mod log, lols. but now i think its true. the machine runs flawlessly at 300ipm on all axis. it has been tested up to over 400ipm but decided to back down to make sure it stays reliable for me. as of now i am making alot of foam debris on it...all my buddies want foamies all the sudden, go figure, lols. the last 6 months have been a big learning experience for me, and i have truly enjoyed building the phlatprinter. also, i hope that maybe someone might of got something from this mod log i have kept. even a little tip someone may have found useful makes me feel like it was worth posting... mark, trish, man what can i say.....you guys are great, and supported me right from the start....remember the missing lid parts e-mail i sent??? man i was a bonehead at the start of this project. lols. to all the fellas that helped me thru the way....to many to list....just about everyone in the phlatboyz.....i gotta tell you fellas, thank you for helping me...no one knows all, and with out all your help...well my build wouldn't have been possible for me. i have personally had the pleasure to meet mark and trish, and i feel i have to mention to any new phlatprinter customers, that you could not have purchased a product from better people. sincerely, randy.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

I'm looking for a Binford 10hp that I can re-wire to run on 220V !
    That ought to suck a bowling ball through a garden hose! :shock: :p

18. rjarois

OK fellas, just when i figured i was done with my printer.....lols....wanting to cut sign blanks with the stock printer or plywood, i always had troubles with the material pushing up on me...on the harder stock it would just deflect up on me. i wanted to build a overhead style gantry, but as allot of ya fellas know I'm outta work rite now, hence the sign cutting, lols. with no funds to build what i wanted i decided to think outside the box....i mean like move the gantry outside the box. this was some serious hacking, and not for the feint of heart....the photos speak for themselves. i will update when I'm done, but this is what i have as far...my goal was to use the existing parts and not have to purchase any components. i have $20 dollars spent on this mod for a piece of 1/2 mdf sheeting. randy.
    yea baby cut open the end on a table saw....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    gettin heigth set-up...
    [​IMG]
    gettin started with mod...
    [​IMG]
    fillin slot...
    [​IMG]
    top reinforcement...
    [​IMG]
    crusing along...
    [​IMG]
    gettin things lined up...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    stepper install...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    glue dryin...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    at this point im not sure if i will hack the phlatty lid or make a new one....for sure the pressure roller spring mod will stay :D :D will update soon. randy.

19. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

<blink> <blink> Holy cow!

20. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Randy, that's not a modification, it's a re-define redesign! Wow! :eek:

21. rjarois

lmao Dennis....redesign is to fancy of a word...I'm not very bashful when it comes to hackin...lols.

22. rjarois

lols erik...i think this favors me for out monkey contest, lols. hey i need that z-axis depth control more than ever now. please let me know if i can edit the phlatcode to do this. liked we talked before, that is the only proper way it should be set-up. then i can add the pop-thru value i want, if at all. randy.

23. rjarois

got the mod more or less completed....didn't hook up the x-axis roller yet, relocated the board and have to get a lil longer wire. just have the y and z. cut the slot opening in the 1/4 mdf with no trobs. i took about 4 cuts steppin thru. the top is very rigid now because of the reinforcement i installed. all i have to do now is mount the pressure roller, hook up the x-axis, and sand a lil. then pretty up with a lil red paint. also i must have better screw alignment, as i tested the y-axis to 450ipm at a 60 velocity setting. so far so good. randy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Far out, man. I'm going to make me one of those too. I was thinking from the beginning, when I found out about Phlaty, that that's the way to do it rather then have the gantry at the bottom.

25. foamlvr

foamlvr Member

That is SHAWEEEEET !!! It's amazing what a sharp mind can do with $20 Good work rjarois !!