1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Lowes is discontinuing fff

Discussion in 'Foam Talk' started by theothers, Jul 1, 2009.

1. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

2. theothers

We sent our email.

3. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

You know I knew this day was comming, we've been having too much fun. I just didn't think it would be so soon! :?

4. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Here is wht I sent them. Feel free to copy and paste. Just make sure that you send them feedback and let them know that you are unhappy with there decision.
    If we have to start ordering this online, shipping costs will jack the prices so high we may as well stop scratch building :eek: and start buying kits :shock:

===================
    Re: Item # 127129, Model # 669153 Dow Fan Fold Foam

It is my understanding that you are no longer going to carry this product. In case you are unaware this is a very popular material in the radio control (RC) community and there are no substitutes. By discontinuing this product you are driving a lot of potential Lowes customers elsewhere to obtain this product along with any other materials (glues, tape, building materials, etc.) that they may also be needing. So it is my opinion that you are loosing a large customer base by dropping this product. Please reconsider your decision for our sake and yours.

A concerned RC enthusiast

5. Klondar

Klondar Member

My note has been sent.

BTW: What about the new version was bad, Too soft, brittle, not machine well, heavy, etc...

Just curious in case we HAVE to start using it. Also I remember a post a bit ago about a new Dow product sold by other distributors for a bit more that sounded like it could be better, Anyone tried it and have an opinion? Also What dollar store chain carries the $1 sheet foam board?

6. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Dollar Tree carries the foam board, I don't personally like it though, it's only 4.5mm thick and the hassle of taking the paper off both sides just isn't worth it.
    Plus it seems very brittle to me, I know alot of people use it but that is just my thoughts on it.
    Try it, you may like it.

7. Klondar

Klondar Member

Thanks for the Information, Just try to keep options open. I'll have to stop by one and pick up a few sheets to try.

8. travisc

travisc Member

Yesterday I went to Lowes and they had the Dow FFF on sale for 9.97 a bundle.
    I got three of the best they had, the rest looked like someone ran a fork lift thru them.
    Who else sells the Dow brand besides Lowes.
    Home Depot has the Pink Owens Corning has any one used that brand?
    Lowes also has thier own brand of the 1/2" 3/4" and 2" thick foam.
    I plan to use that for my indoor 3D CNC routed signs.
    I will use sign foam ($200.00+ 4x8) on the real nice signs that I will make.

9. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

There are more then one types of the pink stuff, the stuff I have used was not formable by hand. A hair drier or heat gun had to be used or else it would snap. It does machine fine however.

10. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Reading posts on RCGroups, there are posts saying Lowes is discontinuing selling FFF going back to 2007.

I'm not so sure there is a lot of validity to these rumors. Yes, your Lowes may be out, but in the past, when I have reminded the customer service people that the shelves were empty, they ordered more for me. I waited a week, went back and the shelves were stocked full again.

11. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Flash, I think the old rcgroup posts are about the original FFF with the covering on both sides. That is truly discontinued and gone. They replaced it with dow protection board, which was poorer quality. That's the stuff you see Mark cutting all these times. And looks like they are doing it again. When I saw Mark, demoing the lowes brand green foam on the live cam, the first thing I thought was they were they were going to discontinue dow FFF. Also, had the same feeling when Jnida63, a few weeks ago, said his local lowes had FFF on sale for like $10. Basically clearing out remaining stock.

Mark & Trish are way above the curve, on this. I haven't seen anything on rcgroups about this. But then the average person doesn't go out buying foam every week, like the carews. :lol:

-Kwok

12. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

Alright Mark and Trish I smell a new product coming out by you two....Hot wire foam cutter for those 1 and 2" 4x8 sheets of foam board....well :)

13. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

That sure raises costs. :|

14. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Well, I guess I will have to go see if there is any left on the shelves here. I certainly don't want to run out of the cheap foam. Build too many prototypes to afford whacking a $7 to $10 sheet of Depron just to test a new plane out.

I would like to hope they are mistaken, but if is to be, then we will certainly need to find some alternatives.

15. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

Just got back from Lowes. No discount there 80 bucks and I was on my way with 2 bundles of the stuff. Did ask 3 different people up front on the situation with the foam and they said it will always be availabe there. Very popular stuff for the local builders and do it your selfers.

16. theothers

We talked to customer service at our local Lowes because they were almost out of the ff and they checked their computer and said all stores in our area have discontinued it. In fact, they are the last store within 50 miles that even has any stock left. We also checked the product number on line and received the same message. So, perhaps if you go online and type in item #127129, it will let you know the status in your area (and you can check surroundings stores in the top right corner).

Frank, Mark had just started talking about a hotwire attachment for the Phlatprinter a couple of days before we found out about the ff, lol. Looks like we need to bump that up on the list a bit. Glad to hear you will still be able to buy ff locally.

Our Lowes is not discounting the last couple of bundles they have so you may not want to assume that your ff isn't being discontinued if you are still paying full price.

17. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

dang it I knew it was too good to be true. Could be they didn't want a scene so told me what I wanted to hear.........oh yeah I would have stood there and cried like a little baby if they would have told me it was going away for good :lol: Oh well looks like, dare I say pink stuff is now in my future. Menards has tons and tons of that stuff available. :|

18. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

The Lowes I went to last night had a ton of PBIII in stock. And it had a whole pallet that was untouched. I had previously stocked up so I didn't want to swing the $40 per bundle. It didn't look like they moved that much product, as most of the stuff was yellowing around the edges. I can't imagine how old the stuff is. The Menards by my house has very poor quality pink ff. I hope yours has better stuff then mine Frank. But as long as you aren't rolling the stuff, the pink is just like depron, so flatties are not an issue..

19. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

Hmmm. Yeah some of that FF at Lowes has bird stuff on it and some of it has caked on dirt too. Have to dig deep to get the good stuff. I'm not much into rolling the foam so not a real problem for me as far as the pink stuff goes. Really use the FF to do workup's before I make the cut with EPP. Be interesting to see what mark and trish come up with for "addon's" :)

20. Eflybob

Eflybob Member

Today, at two local Lowes I found one with 6 bundles of PBIII on clearance at $32.00 (Bought two). At the second only 10 miles away They had at least 15 bundles in better condition on clearance at $15.97 ea. If I can only figure out what I did with my receipt. :oops:
    FYI this is in Trevose, PA 19053 (Neshaminy Mall) which is around 30-40 miles from the home of the Phlatprinter.

21. cptdragn

cptdragn Member

So, If I say that I still have about 15 bundles of the "real" double sided bluecor, Will that mean all of you guys will start saying bad things about me? :oops:

22. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Wow Tony! Thats awesome!
    I still have few sheets of the double sided stuff that I keep on saving.

23. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

cptdragn, Where do you live again?! lol :D
    Man I am really bummed about this but I have found another place that has it around here and that is Universal Supply.
    Mark

24. cptdragn

cptdragn Member

Err, Mark... I live over that way a bit.. no not there..more over yonder. Keeping looking, you'll find it.....eventually :twisted:

Note to self: Time to place land mines around the foam shed

Now, That all the playing is done. I had heard that Lowes was going to start carrying the High Performance Underlayment – LF [Lay Flat]. Thats the two sided BlueCor that does not fold via being creased like the stuff we were used to but by having been cut on one side of the foam so it will lay flat. I have heard that those who have gotten the stuff claim its even better than the normal BlueCor as it doesn't have waves and the ink comes off real easy. I think they were saying that Allied building supply carries it.

Here's the link to show what it is.
    http://www.ebuild.com/ImgRepos%5CBrochure_Dow_DOW%20High%20Performance%20Underlayment-LF%20Prod%20Info%20Sheet.pdf_12302008_133307%5CBrochure_Dow_DOW%20High%20Performance%20Underlayment-LF%20Prod%20Info%20Sheet.pdf

25. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

lol
    Note to self- buy a metal detector to find land mines :)
    Tony that Lay-Phlat sounds promising! :D
    Thanks for the insider info
    Mark