1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Mach3 Remote Keypad or Control

Discussion in 'General Phlatprinter Stuff' started by johnbernard36, Jun 6, 2009.

1. johnbernard36

johnbernard36 Member

I quickly got sick of having to go back to the keyboard/mouse to adjust the bit position, reset my 0,0,0, coordinates, or just use the machines manually. The wireless keypads were ok (some of them) but most seemed to have either range problems, noise/interference problems, or just felt like they were not making a solid link all the time.

I've been using a Targus PAUK10U usb keypad for a while now, and it seems very solid. It's about $18 and comes with two usb ports on it. Handy for plugging in that flash drive for a quick plans upload/download, or just quickly backing up your work. I usually use an 8' usb extension cable on it, but have used 16' extensions (two 8' extensions) with no problem. A side benefit to a wired remote is that you don't lose it!

I currently have the x,y,z axis and home all keys programed, and stop. I'm looking to find out how to assign a hotkey from the keypad to control step, jog type, and a couple of other items. I may have to so that in a custom screen set, not sure now.

Just thought I'd share this.

John Attached files [​IMG]

2. foamlvr

foamlvr Member

John,
    I am very interested in this. I bought the exact same key pad when I bought my laptop, because it has a small keyboard without the numbers on the right. I havn't needed it, and thought I wasted my money. I never even thought about it, then reading this post, I dug it from the clutter on my bench, and there it is.

I am waiting for the MKII, so I havn't really played with Mach yet. When I get going I will probably have a lot of questions for you. I am planning on mounting a monitor on the MKII, and hiding a computer in the bottom cabinet. If I could get away with not having a full keyboard hanging off the side of the MKII, that would be great.

Jeff

3. johnbernard36

johnbernard36 Member

Jeff,

Right now it does the 6 basic moves and Home all to zero. When I figure out how to assign other hotkeys to it beyond those in the hotkey config screen, I pass on the info. I think some kind of keyboard remapper for the keypad on the pc rather than changing the screen .set file would probably be easier.

The keypad is handy with just the axis movement keys though...

John

4. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

I have a Kensington wireless keyboard with a wireless numeric keypad. It is made for a laptop computer so the keyboard is quite small and easy to carry around.

I don't use the keypad much because there is no shift key on it to accelerate the axis movements. But since the keyboard is so small anyway, I end up using it most of the time.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

6. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

I think, you set the Trigger # to the correct OEM code # under config-system hotkeys tab... Then you can set up a hotkey for the trigger# under config-ports & pins-input signals.

You don't need to change the Screen.

The OEM# list is herehttp://www.machsupport.com/MachCustomizeWiki/index.php?title=OEM_Buttons

Cheers
    E-T

7. johnbernard36

johnbernard36 Member

ET

That did it! Thanks for the pointer! I always forget about the Mach wiki.
    The keypad now does everything I want it to by using the num lock/unlock. I just need to label all the keys so I remember what I have assigned to what key. I can now do away with the hotley mapper I was running in the background.

Thanks again!

8. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

9. johnbernard36

johnbernard36 Member

Looks good! I like the fact that in simulates an MPG as well. From the Mach3 forum, it looks like the plug-in is almost ready to go to support this. I'll have to give it a try. Good find and great info!

10. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member