1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Metric Gcode - the patches

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Help' started by swarfer, Aug 20, 2009.

1. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

I posted a couple of weeks back (in the bugs section) about mods I made to Phlatscript to output metric gcode.
    At that time I simply put the files on my web site for download, which was probably a bit hard to use.

I have now made an actual web page that explains how to install them, and a zip file for downloading the
    4 files. Hopefully this makes it simpler for folks who need metric gcode to get going sooner, and I hope this can be merged into the next release.

The page is at http://iwr.ru.ac.za/~david/phlat/
    (removed from that server 20 May 2013 - superceded a few times over by more recent code)

gasmasher, I have made some further mods to my local copy that allows the gcode to have different precision depending on the output mode. Few metric machines will need more than 2 decimals (hundredths of a millimeter), while imperial machines will be happier with 3 or 4 digits (thous or tenths of thous) after the point. Let me know if you want the code.

I've been working on pocketing too, but so far my level of computational geometry has been way exceeded by the complexity and I'll have to come back to it unless someone else gets to it first.
    I envision pocketing being useful for lightening balsa ribs, yet without cutting all the way through.

For the curious, my machine build (not a phlatprinter) has got as far as finding all the stepper motors in the garage, and ordering the driver boards, then figuring out that the earmarked laptop has a parallel port that cannto drive the optoisolators, so next up is finding a PC to run TurboCNC and testing the electronics with that. Once the motors all move, I'll design and build the Z axis for the gantry mill.

2. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Thanks for the sharing. While I don't use metric, I download the files for future reference. I am sure it will help those that do.

I'm not sure, but I heard pocketing might be included in the next update of the phlatscript. Gashmasher will have to confirm? There is a pocketing script posted here. The are bugs, but it does works: viewtopic.php?f=101&t=302&start=25#p6975

You might check out the Dell Optiplex SX260, if looking for a small pc: viewtopic.php?f=141&p=9173

And also Ubuntu/EMC2 for free os & control software: http://www.linuxcnc.org/

By the way, I heard laptops are not recommended for various reasons. One is that some use lower than normal signal voltage in the parallel port.

-Kwok

3. gasmasher

gasmasher New Member

Thank you for the modifications. I've been very busy lately and haven't had much time to work on the script but I will be incorporating your changes. It's always nice to see some new patches.

As far as pocketing goes it will have to wait for the next next release and not the one coming soon. That is when I plan to fix those overlaps that happen on offset cuts near acute angles and once that is done the pocket tool is trivial. It will basically just be a series of nested offset cuts.

4. swarfer

Indeed I found this out last weekend when I tried to drive a stepper with my old laptop and it would not drive the step pin low enough. As I saidm I have some old PC's so a solvable problem, I just wanted to use the laptop due to space restrictions.

5. swarfer

My pleasure on the patches. Pocketing can be trivial but watch out for the acute angles where it will tend to leave an island. Google will bring up a lot of learned papers on the topic of optimizing for speed and eliminating islands. My plan was to split the polygon into triangles and then pocket each triangle optimally (the easiest case it seems), but I got lost in the geometry stuff, math is not my strong point. If you just keep offsetting into the poly your cut lines will eventually cross and cut air for some polys, and yes that will happen so you cannot ignore it.

I'll have a look at that other code mentioend above and see if I can use it as a starting point.