1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Most wanted PhlatscripT Feature

Discussion in 'SketchUcam 'Most wanted Feature'' started by kram242, Jan 17, 2009.

1. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Brian,

That would be great for step pocketing! Logos panels etc..This will be a great addition to the Phlatscript. :)
    The reason I would like to see the step over added to help in creating finer carvings for the future, I know its not a necessary step for the goal you have in mind but when you are carving a 3d model the less you step the bit over the better the out come you will get (less sanding/longer runtime) in the over all finish cut.
    Now that I have typed it out loud I realize that its not even necessary right now. Please disregard that until later down the road :D
    Thanks again for all your help
    Mark

2. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

I would like to see a right click menu for removing Phlatboyz grouped cut lines, instead of all Phlatboyz lines.
    Say I want to just delete the tabs portion of them, or just all inside or outside cuts.
    But really the option just to delete the tabs would be awesome.

It can be tedious to make a change, then have to delete all lines and redo every one of them esp. if I have to redo something like the 3 centerline cuts I do for my control surfaces. The outside cut tool wants to make them separate parts since they have separate faces.

3. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

If your wanting to get rid of the tabs, another way to do it is erase one tab, then double click on the line the tab was on and delete it. This will get rid of the inside or outside cut line and the tabs that were on the line so you will have to redo the inside or outside line. Just one way of not having to "erase all phlatboyz lines".
    That would be a nice feature though.

4. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

ok mark, the more i mess with my printer the more i need to be able to program the exact z-depth, also the way it jerks around the circles and arc's......besides being hard on the printer, it adds alot of extra cut time. so as of now i would like to see 3 things...

exact z-depth control, instead of material thickness. and option for controlling z-depth. not having the code add any extra. some may not like to have to add ther "poke thru" value, but personally i think it would be better. like cutting a form you dont want thru part and holding a certian depth, then cutting thru and tabbing the outside.

having the phlatcode spit out true circles and arcs. get rid of the herkey jerk cut

pocket clearing, with its own depth control.

i want to thank you guys agian for the v-tabs....way, way, better...in 18 tabs i tested its five seconds faster than the regular ones. on a program with lots o tabs, this alone will be a great time saver. also, i do realize modding the phlatcode is alot of work and time. you fellas that are modding the code are great.....i only wish i was smart enough to help, lols. peace, randy.

5. 3DMON

Hey Randy one way to help smooth your circles out would be add more sides to the arc or circles in Sketchup. This should help smooth it out a little.

6. iflyos

iflyos Member

What about a "Hinge" tool? Instead of doing a centerline cut, or doing a fold that you hand cut later, how about the ability to define a line as a hinge line, and have the script generate the beveled cut automatically...

Tim
    AG4RZ

7. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

I'm with randy on this. Maybe make an advanced mode if others still want/need simple?

8. toba

toba New Member

I wrote a simple ruby script for Sketchup to pcoket.
    It creates a pocket face and zigzag edges.

Usage:
    1. Install into the plugins directory.
    2. Select "Pocket" from the Plugins menu.
    3. Click the face to pocket.
    4. Select "CenterLine Tool" from menu or toolbar
    5. Click the zigzag edge first, the face edge second.

I hope that this code merged in the PhlatscripT,
    and step 4 and 5 executed automatically.

NOTE:
    Do not use Centerline from context menu.
    It breaks the zigzag edge.

Limitations:
    Simple convex face only

Thanks.

Kats. Attached files PocketTool.rb (6.1 KB)Â

9. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

toba,
    Cool beans! we will have to check this one out :)
    Thank you for sharing

10. 3DMON

Thanks Toba! I did a little test on it and it works great. This is a great leap towards pocketing.

11. firetrappe

firetrappe Member

Kats, the new version of your script is awsome! Thanks for making it even better :)

I've been using a beta version of this script for about a month now, and it really does work well and saves loads of time.

A point worth mentioning is that the zig-zag lines are created to provide a 50% stepover relative to the cutting bit diameter. The bit diameter is defined in the first line of the script and the default value is 3.175mm (1/8"). If using a different diameter bit then make sure you edit the script to reflect this.

Ps. Kats, you should post some photos of the Kingyo kit you are developing using the Phlatprinter, I think everyone would be very interested.

12. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I did just as it says above and when I click on the 'center line' tool and hover over the face to be pocketed and before I have a chance to click on the face or the line SU crashes. I tried it three times and three times it crashed at the same step.

I'm using SU 7 on Window XP

13. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Worked for me, tigerpilot. I also have winxp sp2 and sketchup7. Tried it a few days ago when, I saw Mark playing with it. I just tried something simple, a circle with a circular pocket in the middle.

14. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Kats! Happy to have another programmer on the Phlatforum. Great work :D

15. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

You know, kyyu, now that you've mentioned it, I have SP3 for Windows XP and had in the past a lot of problem with it . At one point I had to uninstall it. I had it reinstalled after I reinstalled Windows some time ago. I don't know if that is the problem but I may look into it.

Don't you have the 'automatic update' turned on on your computer? You never were prompted to upgrade to SP3?

16. 3DMON

I have SP3 with Sketchup 7 and have no problems using the pocket script.

17. Biggles1212

Biggles1212 New Member

First off...PhlatscripT is amazing as is.

Thanks to all the effort that has gone into this amazing script. I can see there are huge man hours in this.

It would be nice to be able to cut profiles and do pockets though. If you wanted to recess a window on a plane, a pocket would be wonderful.

I cut wood with a router and so would like the ability to make multiple cuts and hence the pocketing and profiling function.

Also I have been seriously busy trying to find a way to work start to finish in mm and its been a battle.

Perhaps the ability to cut 3D surfaces would be nice too. My mates and I build slope soarers and a fuselage would be easier if we could just take it straight off this model. I know using slices is an option, but were almost there anyway.

Cheers to all

Barry

18. Klondar

Klondar Member

First, as others have said, Thanks, this script is amazing...

But I do have one feature that I would find Handy, The ability to mouse over a Tab (PhlatTab) and delete it. To me if there was a mode in the Tab Tool Like the T/V that was a delete mode.

I find that a times I have worked up models and then when I go to cut them Find that they are not in the best places. It would be nice to explode the group. delete the offending tab/s and add new ones then re-group and be off and running. Right now I have to ungroup, delete all the edges on the part and re apply. Granted its not hard, but at times a pain...

Thanks
    -Glen

19. gasmasher

gasmasher New Member

This is in the works for the next version. The new eraser tool can be set to only delete a specific kind of cut. You can set it to tabs and then use it just like the Sketchup eraser and the only thing it will delete are tabs. It also filters on All, Inside, Outside, Centerline and Fold cuts.

20. gasmasher

gasmasher New Member

There is at least one place in the tool ruby files where inch is hardcoded. I will put a ticket in so that we can take a look after the next release to eliminate the dependency on inches.

21. Klondar

Klondar Member

Cool, that will be great, How soon before the new one will be available? I know you've been hard at work and am not pushing, but it sounds like it will be great.

22. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

I know this seems small, but I would like to be able to have a comment line where a new group starts. If I name the groups, I would like the comment line to put the name of the group in the comment line. Preferably, the format would be something like:

(Horizontal Stabilizer ****************************************)

The length of the comment would make it much easier to find in the code when tweaking.

Thanks,
    Tim

23. gasmasher

gasmasher New Member

Good news! That happened to be added in the latest version ;)

Here is a sample of a square outside cut that was grouped and then named "test group".
    [pre]%
    (Generated by PhlatscripT {trunk})
    (File: tab_test.skp)
    (Bit diameter: 0.125)
    (Feed rate: 200)
    (Material Thickness: 0.25)
    (Material length: 22.0 X width: 42.0)
    (www.PhlatBoyz.com)
    (Comment or Remark)
    G90 G20 G49
    M3 S8000
    (Group: test group)
    G0 Z 0.050
    X 12.881256 Y 9.445003
    G1 Z -0.350 F 200
    Y 14.445227
    X 17.443960
    Y 9.445003
    X 12.881256
    (Group complete: test group)
    G0 Z 0.050
    G0 X0 Y0
    M05
    G0 Z0
    M30
    %[/pre]

24. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Tim, that's great! You gotta let us know about these cool things. If I had not read this latest post I would not have known about it at all. Maybe a one liner in the help file for those who don't follow the forum posts.

This is just fabulous. Now I can grab a chunk of CNC code from a marked up version and transfer it to another without having to regenerate anything!

Very Nice!

25. iflyos

iflyos Member

Tim,

How about adding the option to turn on/off the G61 Tool Path in the PhlatScript. This is also known as Exact Stop in Mach 3. If it were in the PhlatScript generated G-Code, when turned on, it wouldn't matter what cam software one was running. You wouldn't have to look for the spot to turn it on in your cam package.

It would be helpful for all of us to eliminate the rounding of corners. Also, since EMC doesn't have an easy place (that I have found) to force this option, it would save having to manually edit the G-Code and add it there.

Thanks!!!

Tim
    AG4RZ