1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Most wanted PhlatscripT Feature

Discussion in 'SketchUcam 'Most wanted Feature'' started by kram242, Jan 17, 2009.

1. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Not a bad idea but does EMC even have that option? I've yet to see a "rounded corner" in anything I cut. I'm just not sure it exists do you have any more experience with it?

2. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

I had a problem with rounded corners until I got rid of my backlash problems

3. iflyos

iflyos Member

TV, all my "square corners" I draw have been rounded. When I look at the path in the output window, you can see the machine rounding off the corners when it draws the path.

After I went in and added the G61 toolpath to a *.CNC file, it got rid of the rounded corners.

If you look in the EMC manual, it describes some of the tool path options and what they do...thats where I found out about it.

Jnida63..I thought I might have backlash at first, but when the rounding was repeated exactly on several tests, I started looking at configuration options. That's when I found out about the Exact Stop/G61. I also mentioned it in the chat window, and 3DMon told me I needed to turn on "Exact Stop" in Mach...He also mentioned Mark had talked about using it. Since I run EMC, that's when I started reading up and found out about the toolpath option.

Tim
    AG4RZ

4. outland86

outland86 New Member

hi all

i would like to see fuctions called T bone and Dogbone filleting put in

The 'Dog-Bone' and 'T-Bone' fillets allow toolpaths to ‘notch’ the inside corners of slots and grooves, allowing mating parts to fit flush against the true base of the pocket. This technique allows the radius of the cutter to be removed from the bottom of slots.

These filleting tools are perfect for designing model aircraft components etc. where precision fit is needed.

is this possible to add point and click dogbone fillets to inside corners on 2d line drawings in sketchup? this would be helpful for all cnc sheet material cuts

5. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Would it be possible to add a feature that allows you to make a curve from a file that is suppose to be a circle, I know we can explode a curve but it would be helpful when we pull a DXF file in from say Coral Draw, it sees a circle as straight line segments probably because of the default set in sketchup( 24 sides per circle) This would be awesome to have this in the PS!

Thank you
    John

6. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Sorry John the only way to do this is to redraw the circle/curve in Sketchup because of the way Sketchup handles the arcs and circles.
    I am not saying that it is impossible, but I think it would be Xtremely hard to do. :)
    Mark

7. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Thanks Mark, I had a feeling you were going to say that!! I guess there is an incompatibility with the coral software and sketchup, oh how nice it would be if we could figure this out. I just spent many hours redrawing what I already did in coral to make a cut file :( I find coral to be much quicker when trying to trace a pic. Thank you for your help my Friend :)

John

8. kram242

No problem John, maybe some day we will be able to do this :)
    Mark

9. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Outland86,

Good work. I see because of your request at SketchUcation, Fredo6 now has the Tbone and Dogbone in the latest version 1.3 of his Bezier Splines Plugin. -Kwok

10. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Oh wow.
    That is gonna be awesome to use for wood parts.
    Thanks for posting that Kwok.

Mark you know your gonna want to do this to the Phlatprinter kits to eliminate filing the corners. :idea:

11. kram242

Very cool! Its much easier then doing it by hand :)
    I need a tool like this for autocad
    Mark

12. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I just got a chance to play with the dogbones in Sketchup.
    This is super cool.
    I found the easiest way is to highlight the 2 lines that make the corner you want dogboned, right click the selection and dog bone it from there using the radius of your tool for the raidus of the dogbone.
    Thanks Outland86 for pursuing this more.

13. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

He's got the chamfer and arc polylines, too. Great for drawing cutouts or shapes. I remember, his was the only chamfer tool, I could find. Now it's like the real chamfer tool, I was looking for with the right click context menu to convert regular lines. Don't remember if it was like that before, but I used to work around it by deleting the two corner lines and redrawing a chamfer polyline. I think chamfer was a addon extension to his old bezier plugin, before. That guy, Fredo6, has some nice plugins. I am sure he spends alot of time on them, but then gives them away for free.

-Kwok

14. firetrappe

firetrappe Member

John, I didn't know you used Corel Draw. I've been using it for the past 14 years at work, so I also use it for tracing drawings to pull into SU as I find it much quicker to use.
    I've been using a workflow which eliminates the 24 segment issue with circles in SU (works for bezier curves too).

Trace or draw your design in Corel as usual.
    Export as a PLT (HPGL Plotter File).
    When the 'Export' dialog box appears select the 'Advanced' tab and change the 'Curve Resolution' to zero (this is the highest resolution).
    Create a new blank Corel document and import your saved PLT file.
    You should notice now that the curves are segmented and have many more 'nodes'.
    Export this document as a DXF as you usually do and you will find that when you import it into SU the curves/circles are much smoother.

You can experiment with different PLT curve resolutions to get the amount of segments that you prefer. For example, with the curve resolution set at zero a circle will have 512 segments when imported into SU. With the curve resolution set to 0.1mm a circle will have 256 segments.
    This method can create quite large gcode files, but is a quick way to accurately transfer drawings from Corel into SU.

Hope this helps.

Si.

15. kram242

Great tip Si thank you!
    Mark

16. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

WOW, Thank you Si, that is good to know!! I cant wait to try this out, I have been baffled with this issue for a while and really like working with coral!! Sketchup is great for basic drawing but when you have alot of curves, this is the ticket!! Also a good Friend of mine has a graphics shop and he turned me on to Coral so if I have a problem I have someone local to brainstorm with :D

Thank you again!
    John

17. ely862me

ely862me New Member

Any way of making the plugin to write 3d gcode ? for 3axis cnc router?
    Or do you know an existent plugin which do this in sketchup?
    Thank you!

18. kram242

ely862me,
    Right now the Phlatscript can only do 2.5D but we are hoping that the future version will be 3D capable.
    There are a lot of programs out there now that will do 3d for you now though.'
    Check out meshcam
    Mark

19. ely862me

ely862me New Member

I see. Good luck!

Thank you for the tip!

Hope u have a blessed day!

20. kram242

Thank you ely862me
    You 2 :)
    Mark

21. gizzmo

gizzmo New Member

Hi Mark & Trish,

I was just wondering if there is any news on the next version of the script, I really hope the metric conversion will be in there ... :p

Keep up the good work!
    GreetZ
    David

22. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

......and auto Tabbing :D
    Please have your paypal account open for donations !!! :p

John

23. kram242

:D We were trying to get it ready to go out this weekend but got tied up with business. I talked with Kwok and he says its ready but wanted to ask about a few files that seem to be there and are not needed. I will give him a call as soon as I get the chance and we will set it up. Thanks guys
    Mark and Trish

24. phoenix

phoenix New Member

There is a home 3D printer called the BFB 3000 that has an SD card reader built in so it doesn't need a computer connected to it, you just plug in an SD card and use the small LCD display to select the file you want to print. A 3D printer is basicaly the same as a CNC machine only with a different tool attatchment, so it shouldn't be that different to do the same on the Phlatprinter. This is a feature I would like to see incorperated.

25. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I have a feature I would like to see. I would like it to be so that when I press OK on the button in the setup window, after choosing my bit size or material thickness or what ever, the safe area doesn't automatically comes up. I can put it where I want it when I want it, I hate it when it jumps into the drawing every time I make adjustment to the setup. Please, Kwok, please, please, pretty please, turn that feature off, or at least make it optional. It drives me bananas.