1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

MultiPass Depth keeps being changed

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by Robin Mosedale, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Robin Mosedale

Robin Mosedale New Member

I used to be able to maintain multipass depth between saving, and reloading to continue work. Not any more, keeps defaulting to 1/16"

Even setting model-info length units format fractional: precision 1/32" and angle units 0.000, setting 1/32" mulitpass then Ok, add an outside cut or whatever, and Lo! it's back to 1/16" in both the sketchucam profile and the model info.

I've forgotten where I resolved this before

Thanks

Robin

2. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

strange. the multipass depth is saved in the sketchup file, so if other changes to your drawing are being saved, then so should this setting.

With model info not changing, this is maybe not sketchucam specific, but rather something to do with Sketchup itself. maybe the folder or file where it saves settings have become read only? hmmmm, the basic settings are in the template file it loads at starup, then anything you change goes into the file you save. that is what I am seeing here on my PC. maybe your file is faulty and not saving properly. try 'save as' with a new name so it is forced to create a new file.

SketchUcam stores default settings in an ini file in your user folder when you change something via the Tools|Phlatboyz|Options menus.
    Those items set SketchUcam defaults for next time Sketchup starts. Does that still work?

3. Robin Mosedale

I'll have a search/fumble about.

As this was driving me mad I did a uninstall of both all Phlatboyzs add ons and Sketchup, removing all trace files and folders.

Then did a clean install of Sketchup, followed by the download of Sketchucam rb file and associated the Phlatboyz rb in Skethcup.

Doesn't matter if I save it as a new file. It changes within the session.

For example. I open the SketchuCam parameter page. Check that the material thickness is correct, check multipass is set, change the multipass depth to 1/32". Click OK

Select the out edge, and enable outer edge cut. Wait for it to take effect. Open the SketcuCam parameter page, and if I'm lucky, the material thickness hasn't changed, but in any event, the multipass depth has change to ~1/16".

I'll see if it changes if I change the installation directories on a reinstall.

To be honest, it used to work when I stayed with my older version of SketchuCAM, and has transpired since upgrading to the latest. Note I've done a clean uninstall and clean install.

4. swarfer

ok, please change to decimal inches and set the number of decimals (precision) to 3....
    the fractional stuff hides a bunch of 'strangeness' that makes it hard to see what is going on. it may just be rounding off !
    (that is what the ~ 1/16" means, the ~ means approximately)
    inches.png

also, please send me the/a sketchup file that displays this problem so I can look at it more closely.

5. swarfer

Hi
    Just been fiddling with Sketchup. It does appear to be some sort of internal rounding when in fractional mode, even when I set precision to 1/64 it does it. ('it' being Sketchup)
    Set decimal inches and '0.00000' for the precision and you will be able to see 1/32" as 0.03125" without a problem.

Note that you can still enter fractional values when in decimal inch mode, just enter
    1/64"
    and Sketchup will translate it for you, you can do the same with mm
    1mm
    will be translated for you to 0.039"

ah, just discovered that even though it gets displayed as '~ 1/16" the value is actually set correctly so if you generate Gcode after setting it to 1/32" you get the correct pass depth...
    Code:
    (Multipass enabled, Depth = ~ 1/16")
    (Plunge Depth first)
    (Optimization is ON)
    (www.PhlatBoyz.com)
    (Davids defaults)
    G90 G20 G49 G17 F30
    M3 S15000
    G00 Z0.25
    (Pass: 1)
    G00 X0.8755 Y1.8903
    G00 Z0.020
    G01 Z-0.0312 F30    ; correct 1/32" depth
    G01 X4.8817 F40  
    G01 Y5.8965
    G01 X0.8755
    G01 Y1.8903
    (Pass: 2)
    G01 Z-0.0625 F30 

6. Robin Mosedale

Brilliant deduction. I'll do as you advise first before bothering you with diagnosing my file. Late here in the UK so tomorrow.

Very many thanks

Robin

7. Robin Mosedale

Thank you Swarfer. It looks as though you've identified the correct cause.

I've edited 5 drawings (They are all simple steam components) separated into mill operations: spot drill, drill (through to sacrificial table, then bolted down for the last operation): Mill outer profile.

They all seemed to work, but I had to be careful that the Phlatboyz options were all similarly set too, or discarded all but the master component and derived sub copies to ensure consistency of parameters....... much easier since set up once.

I'll need to make a template with the preferred settings, and text as aide memoire..... which needs to remind me that some operations need the component exploded, and some do not..

Thanks again. I can now get on with machining the parts.

Robin