1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Multipass mod

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Help' started by TigerPilot, Aug 2, 2011.

1. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I've been cutting some wood and I used the multipass. The problem with it is that every time it finishes a pass it retracts to the safe height and plunges again. If you have to cut something with many parts that adds up fast. Since most of the mutipass cuts are on the same part before they move to another I don't think that there is a need for the retract to safe height. I took it out by going into the GcodeUtil.rb and changing line 240, in NotePad++, by adding a '#' before the word 'aMill' and now the cut is continuous.

#aMill.retract()
    aMill.move(point.x, point.y)
    aMill.plung(cut_depth)

If you use it too make sure, before you run the code, that it will not run a cut across your work and destroying your work or your tool. This change works for me and may not work for you. It's your responsibility to make sure it's safe for you. If you are not sure, leave it alone.

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Good idea Yoram. I think the main advantage to having it retract would mainly be for peck drilling options but other than that this is perfect.

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Great Mod Yoram! this will save a lot of time and should be added to the next release of SketchUcam

4. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Mark, if it is added please consider it to be an option. The drill tool needs to retract when multipass is on. Just my :02cents:

5. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Good idea Shaun I do like the way it works now like its peck drilling. There may be a way to always have the drill points retract but have the cut lines continue like they should.
    Mark and Trish

6. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Turns out the above fix had caused a problem. I didn't realize it was this fix until Mark suggested to re-install SketchUcam. I didn't bother to post here anything since no-one complained, meaning no-one cared about the retract. Now someone did and here is a better solution.

Replace the three lines mentioned in the OP with these:

if PhlatScript.useMultipass?
    aMill.plung(cut_depth)
    else
    aMill.retract()
    aMill.plung(cut_depth)
    end

or just replace the attached .rb file. It still doesn't have the plunge tool option but it's a start. And this time it works with no problem, I think. :D Attached files GcodeUtil.rb (11.2 KB)Â