1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

My latest Mods

Discussion in 'Original Phlatprinter MODIFICATIONS' started by Anonymous, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Some photos of a couple other changes to my PP. I replaced the 7/16 rods with 1/2" Precision-Ground Case-hardened steel and PTFE flange bushings (from McMaster-Carr).
    I also moved the idler sprocket (from the MK1.5 kit) to the position between the top and bottom block, without changing the height of the sprocket. My idler was leaning toward the gantry at the top, also.
    Oh yeah, I installed a 1/4" tall spacer (tube) onto the 1/4" shaft, above the sprocket, to keep it from rubbing against the bearing block.
    That causes an interference with the gantry, so I sawed a 1/2" tall X 1 1/2" wide piece of MDF from the offending area.
    I also added a small piece of aluminum extrusion atop the outboard end of the Y-stepper, to hold it down and add some screw-tensioners for adjusting the belt. The motor still slides left/right, but the screws do all the tensioning work for me. The photos are fuzzy, but I think you can see what I did. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

dennis lookin good man.....very cleaver and usefull tips for the 1.5 belt kit install.....when my acme screw wears out, i will reference your install mod to install....good work, i bet that y-axis rocks now....randy.

3. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Nice work!

Anyone with the MK1.5 Belt drive mod really needs to do this.

The bearing block just cannot absorb the constant tension being applied to it the way that Eric recommends installing it.

I also like how you made the tension adjustment but many of us would not have the tools to make the tensioner. Business opportunity there...

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Flashsolutions, The only "tools" I used were a hacksaw to make the aluminum extrusion the right length, a drum-sander on the Dremel to make the cutout for the pulley, a drill to make the 1/4" holes for the screws and a tap drill and tap for the #10-32 screws. If the photo wasn't so %^#$% fuzzy you could easily see the "non-machine-shop, non-standard practices" that I used.

5. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

heheheheh, well it looks pretty professional with all that fuzzzzz :lol:

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Naaa - the professional ones either have no fuzz at all, or a topiary. :?: :?: :eek: ;) :cool:

7. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Dorsal,
    These mods are really great looking. I love the use of the screws to tighten the belt slack
    Well done mods Dorsal thank you for sharing
    You guys come up with the coolest ideas :) I love checking out the mods section here :)
    Thanks again
    Mark

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Thanks for the compliments Mark. :)
    I post my photos to help others take up their hacksaw and wood-rasp to make their PP do what THEY want, also. And maybe they can show me how I should have done it, because around here the first innovator doesn't stand a chance! ;)

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

WARNING!!!
    For anyone who was thinking about installing a micro-switch like I did to turn the Dremel on and off, DON'T DO IT!
    Maybe it finally reared it's ugly face with age, but the electrical noise when the switch disconnects the motor is causing my SmoothStepper to lose communication with the Easy-CNC controller board, and the system stops in mid-cut.
    Mach freezes up, and the only way to get it back working (except forcing a hard re-boot) is to unplug the SmoothStepper USB cable, causing Mach to post a "Lost connection" message and allowing me to restart them both.
    I don't know if it's the limit switch wires or the stepper motor wires that are receiving the noise, but as a temporary fix (until I get a set of shielded wires installed), I just disconnected the micro-switch from the Dremel and installed a jumper to complete the motor circuit. Now I just plug the Dremel in before I start the cut and un-plug it when the cut is done. BTW, the way I finally realized the problem is that I installed a "light pipe" so I can see the lights on the SmoothStepper, when the metal case is closed. I noticed the red "data transfer" light on the SmoothStepper had gone out when it froze up - every time.
    I guess I need to find one of those small relays to control the Dremel, after all. :oops: