1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

n00bie question

Discussion in 'General Talk Forum' started by antslake, Nov 17, 2015.

1. antslake

antslake New Member

Well I got tired of searching for an answer. Should be easy to find, but it isn't. My friend bought a barely used MKll with a mechatronic 3-axis board. It was supposed to have a computer all setup to go with it, long story short, the wrong computer was sent so now I have no software. I am good with sketchup, and I am sure I will have no trouble designing and using sketchUcam, and the plugin. However, just what program do I use to send the gcode to the printer, and how do I set it up? I have a computer running XP, with a parrallel port hooked up, and the computer sees the printer.
    Thanks, Anthony

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I guess you weren't happy with the answers that we gave you on RCgroups? Mach3 and Linuxcnc are the 2 that have been used by most users here. I don't know much about grbl yet but I'm pretty sure it's not compatible with the Mechatronics board so I don't think you have any other options. Why don't you just ask the person you got it from for the user license and a copy of Mach3?
    Oh I forgot that you can also buy the Planetcnc board that makes it so you can plug into a usb port. That board makes it so you do not need Mach3 or Linuxcnc.

3. antslake

antslake New Member

Actually no, I was not happy about having to buy software to make this work. I also went to my shop and got the name of the board in the machine and decided to take my question here as you suggested. I was hoping for an open source or free solution like FCplot that I saw someone using on youtube. If I could contact the person who it was bought from, I would have already.

4. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Linuxcnc is free as we suggested. That is the only free program I know of that will work with the Mechatronics board.

5. antslake

antslake New Member

Linuxcnc is required to run on linux. I do not have time to set up a linux machine or the time to learn how to. I am looking for a simpler solution.

6. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

and, there is TurboCNC which requires DOS (FreeDOS is free) and you would want to spend a little time adding dual boot to your XP machine. (or just add another harddrive and use that instead of the XP disk)
    http://www.dakeng.com/turbo.html

LinuxCNC is very easy to install, they have a CD called the 'brain dead install' or BDI. I recommend putting a new harddrive in the computer (so you don't lose the XP setup, take that drive out) and just do a trial install. it will network and so on without any further setup so all you will need to do is use the stepper setup wizard to configure the parallel port pins to do the right things to drive your steppers.

and then there is Mach3, which it seems you already 'paid for' in terms of getting a PC *with software*. All you really need is the license key from that PC you did not get. meanwhile, Mach3 will run Gcode programs of 500 lines or less just fine, for free. creating a file of more than 500 lines can be quite a big project, but they are just text so are easy to just split into sections, keeping the header and footer of course.

7. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

GRBL is software that runs on an Arduino UNO microcontroller board, and is fed Gcode via the USB cable. it is entirely selfcontained in that any program that can feed strings down the USB cable can 'drive' it, there are many programs for doing this, from basic python scripts to dedicated programs like GRBL-Panel. There are Java based programs like Universal Gcode Sender which is the place to start, and Python things like bCNC which does some very nice things like probe a rough or curved surface and 'wrap' the gcode around it.

This type of USB driven CNC controller has arisen due to the death of the parallel port, you can drive the USB device from a variety of platforms, from your hotshot gaming PC to a laptop to a Android tablet.

8. antslake

antslake New Member

Thank you for all your help guys. I did find the CD's, although they are very badly damaged from being transported across a few states. Someone decided to put all 3 in an envelope, and then got bounced in the bed of a pick-up truck for 14 hours. I did manage to get Mach 3 off the 3rd disk and installed. I watched most of the videos, but can't retrieve all of them. I managed to get the printer working, but I am unsure how to proceed after loading in some gcode. I sent a message to ask about replacements, hopefully someone will respond. I think I need to just watch a few more tutorials from disk2 and then I will know more what I am doing.
    Anthony

9. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Anthony, did you get your machine to manually jog in Mach3? If yes, than getting it to cut g-code is easy. You load the g-code by clicking on the 'load g-code' button. If it's a long file it will take Mach3 a minute or so to make it's calculations and then you click on the green button. I think it says 'start' on it. Make sure that before you start the g-code you jog the gantry to the position you want it to be the 0,0 position and then ZERO THE AXIS'S BY CLICKING THE BUTTON NEXT TO THE DRO (Digital Read Out). Don't even ask how I know how important it is to do that and not to forget.

If you didn't get it to jog manually then you'll have to look at the videos or just RTFM. :rofl:

10. antslake

antslake New Member

Yes, I can get it to jog manually. I even loaded a cnc file from one of the designs in this forum. It started cutting, but it wasn't really doing the right thing. The z axis started slowly going down as it cut, then went all the way past the end of a 4ft sheet. I am also not sure of where 0,0 should be, or what height the bit should be at to start. My first try, I started the bit on the wrong side. Maybe I should try and generate the gcode myself? I 3d print a lot, and before I run a print, I examine the layers in the slicer. Have to figure out how to do that here.

Also, the blue foam I was using seemed to sometimes lose its grip on the rollers. Haven't figured that one out yet either.

11. TigerPilot

First, yes, the blue foam, or pink (for that matter), do lose traction. The rollers are sanding a groove into it. I found it out too. I use dollar tree foam as the carrier and have no more slipping problem.

On the PhlatPrinter III the 0,0 point is on the right bottom corner of the material you cut. I don't know where it is on the MK II since it's 'upside down'.

I don't know which 3d printer you have but mine uses Marlin and it starts by homing all the axis'. You have to do the same on your PhlatPrinter (and any other CNC mahine, for that matter) by determining where you want 'home' to be, where 'home' is the 0,0 point.

BTW, did I mention to look at the videos and RTFM (Read The F***ing Manual)? :rofl:

12. antslake

antslake New Member

The manual is unreadable. I always rtfm. Disk 2 is completely screwd. Fortunately, Mark and Trish are going to make some copies and send them out. I got the reply today.

I am not sure what you mean by using the dollar tree foam as a carrier? You mean tape the 2 foams together to make it thicker and more likely to grab? Which one on top?

13. TigerPilot

Yes, you 'glue' the dollar tree foam to the blue/pink foam. I use spray adhesive. I spray mainly the dollar tree since it has the paper on it. The blue/pink foam melts with the spray foam. So use it very lightly on that foam. The reason the dollar tree foam works good in our printers is the paper. It prevents the rollers from sanding it down which is what had happened to you.

You could use double sided tape just make sure you apply it where you don't cut since it will clog the bit.