1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

New feature in the PhlatScripT

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Help' started by 7up, Feb 5, 2009.

1. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Well I thought about this so I tried it . Keep in mind that I cannot try this on my Phlatprinter yet but according to Mach3 it will work.

As you may or may not know I have an idea for a new wing design, the "pocket wing" which I incorporated into the Swoosh. I designed a simpler single wing trainer type plane the "EZ" (nothing special, just simple) to test this wing design out along with other variations of it.

The pocket wing involves cutting the inside of a flat plate wing out and then cutting an exact copy of the hole in the wing but 1/4" bigger which renders the first panel you cut from the wing into a good sized scrap piece of foam.

While lying out my parts in SU I was going to have to use a second sheet for just one or two smaller parts, I hate that. I noticed all the extra space that was left on these wing panels that were going to be cut away and just discarded so the picture below probably tells the story better than me but I basically made an outside cut inside of an inside cut. You can check out the Phlacode to better understand but this may come in handy if it cuts right. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] EZ.zip (292.6 KB)Â

2. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

I thought about doing this too, but so far haven't had a need. I did this when I sent away to have parts laser cut, but the guy doing the cutting did the G code, so I never gave it much thought.

I don't see why it won't work.

I also thought about taking parts and nesting them in such a way that the adjacent cut from one part is also a cut for it's neighbor. This eliminates one cut for 2 parts. Maybe make the part over sized by 1/16" (using a 1/8" bit) on the side where they share a cut, and using the center cut tool to make the cut. I did this too when laser cutting, and didn't do anything special, but then again the kerf on the laser is a whole lot less than the kerf we're using ;)

3. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

you must have studied that idea for awhile. That is a neat little trick. For me anyway.

4. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I've done that quite a few times now. Works great. I'm all about getting as many parts with not much wasted space :D

As far as what rcav8r is saying, it works but one part will have a rough edge and the other part will have a clean edge.

5. Thewz

Thewz Moderator

I've used this as well on the F22. I cut the servo doublers out of discarded material from the belly. I cut a second hatch because all I had was a 1/8 bit and that was too big a gap to use.

Works really well.