1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

NiteOWL

Discussion in 'Strange Aircraft' started by kram242, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Kinda my first experience as well.

I think you have to pull a lot of up elevator because the CG would tend to have it fly horizontal like a plane. It should fly in a high alpha state like a pizza box flyer.

I had better success hand tossing it horizontally, but it was a very short flight as I was in my living room and no room to experiment.

Too much torque may be a problem. Probably correctable by moving the battery further towards the outside.

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

On mine I would always gas it and get off the ground fast then throttle back and fly in a very high alpha. Once you have the battery set off towards the belly of the craft and down a little less then halfway of the craft not counting the ring. You should be able find the spot where you are always pulling back on the stick to keep the high alpha and to move forward you let the stick tilt forward a little. Its kinda strange at first but you will get the hang of it. Basically it always hovers in high alpha, as you get more comfortable with it you can lay it down and fly it like a plane on the wing.
    I'm sorry for the lame explanation but its all I can remember from my flights with this one
    I wish I had all the measurements for the battery placements but I never really marked it down :oops:
    I need to build one and get it going again, all these build are starting to get me going again :)
    Mark

3. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Thanks Flash, thanks Mark. Yeah, I'll mess with it tomorrow. Slight chance weather will let me fly it on Saturday (normal fly day for me) it is supposed to snow between now and then. I see NJ is going to catch it worse than we will. This would be a wild machine with enough lights on it!

Chuck
    ...somewhere in Indiana...

4. meistertek

meistertek Member

Hey guys I have some video of my NiteOwl that may help with your flights and trimming. I flew mine with elevons and rudder which added aileron input, but elevator and rudder were the same as originally designed with this setup. My battery was in the same position as shown in my photos in the my earlier post. Once I was trimmed up I could turn the throttle off and the NiteOwl would glide with a very slight dipping stall.

5. kram242

You guys ROCK!! that was so cool to watch! :mrgreen:
    Thank you for posting this it really made my day! I am going to build one now.
    Mark

6. Flashsolutions

Finally got a chance to fly my nightowl today.

Amazingly rugged little guy! Finding the right battery placement was a bit touchy, but I finally located the sweet spot and had it flying very controllably.

I had taken a video camera and planned to capture the flight on tape, but as luck would have it, I had removed the smart card from the camera to use in my laptop and it refused to record video to tape without it.

I was about to bring it in for a hovercraft landing when the battery decided it was tired and I just could not pull up enough to make a graceful landing, but I am sure with a full charge it would have been a piece of cake.

I can't believe I brought it home in one piece, nothing cracked or broke at all! And this is 2mm Depron!

Tomorrow is another indoor day, but at a much smaller facility. Not sure I have enough room there to fly it. There are tables everywhere and the flying area is about the size of a dance floor. But I will take the camera (this time with the memory stick in it) and try to get video if I do end up flying it.

7. Flashsolutions

Video finally available... Had a blast flying this one today. I just need a handful of batteries for it. By the time I was ready to land, there was not enough battery left to pull up into the hover.

8. kram242

Larry! That was cool! I never thought I would see this little one flying :lol:
    It really works.. I tell you this micro stuff is really starting to appeal to me lately. I have to get some of these electronics and get building my own.
    Nice job guys thank you for sharing this :)
    Mark
    p.s. Your videos are looking really nice!

9. Chuck

Chuck New Member

To all...I completed my NiteOWL. Too nasty out to fly so that will have to wait. I got to looking at this thing after it was done and decided it looked like the machine they used in the movie TWISTER to chase tornados. So...naturally, I named it "Dorothy". I'll get a couple of photos when it flies! In the event it gets airborne and comes back a mess, I will have to conclude it indeed found a tornado!

Chuck

10. kram242

:D looking forward to it Chuck
    Mark