1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

outside cut tool problem

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Help' started by graybeal, Jan 10, 2013.

1. graybeal

graybeal New Member

Most of my outer edges show up like this butterfly. Even if I use the inside tool.
    I have the the ruby editor to look at the Constants.rb but lost from here.
    I use the gcode for a plasma cutter table. 2d look ok until you angle the view. Another clue seems
    to be the two layers in sketchup, whats with that. Importing simple DFX files.
    HELP Attached files Garden Decor 3.dxf (26.5 KB)Â butterfly_1.skp (1.3 MB)Â [​IMG]

2. graybeal

graybeal New Member

Forgot to Thank those pepes that devlope this wonderfull tool. THANKS

For plasma art I don't need inside off-sets

Well in my case the center tool seems to works for my outside edges.
    I found a proccess for Gcode for my (in the works) CnC plasma table.
    1. import dfx to sketchup 7
    2. move #1 layer to #0 layer, use window drop down layer.
    3. select all, repair and label lines.
    4. this is where my process is different, select inside cuts (individually or hold down shift)
    use the left mouse button and select inside cuts with "Phlat inside_edges" needs a key assigned.
    5. select all, "repair and label lines". do this a lot, if rendering stalls there IS a problem.
    6. select all and Now create faces.
    7. Use center tool for outer edges.
    8. make gcode Attached files butterflycentertool.cnc (156.7 KB)Â full moose.skp (3.5 MB)Â

3. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

graybeal, I'm not sure what you did but my guess is that you flipped the drawing after you generated the outside cutlines. When you do this the code generated is going the 'wrong' direction. Cut direction may not matter with plasma cutting but it does matter when you cut with a cutting tool. There is one good edge and one not so good edge. You want the good edge to be on your part. So, inside cuts are made CW and outside cuts CCW. If you flip the the drawing after generating the cutlines it's going to run the other way. To prevent this the code is generated in segments and not in a continues line. Each little segment runs the right direction. After cutting each segment the cutting tool is being retracted and it travels to the beginning of the next little segment where it plunges and cut. This repeats itself until the whole part is cut. When you look at the code in a plotter which has the different lines in different colors you'll see it. What you see in your plotter is exactly that only you don't have different colors.

I hope my rumbling made some sense to you. :D

Unfortunately the drawings that you posted can't be fixed easily. You must have erased the lines of the parts after you generated the cutlines. When you now erase the cutlines there is nothing left. Normally you leave the lines since they don't affect the g-code and you need them if you want to make changes.

4. graybeal

graybeal New Member

OK, from what you posted,the gcode that is generated for the Plhat_cutter, codes the travel of the BIT? (up/down like a sewing machine) as part of the cnc-code. I guess I would expect just a Z down once for each cut out, like for plasma_cnc table..interesting..
    I thought you guys where using a side cut router bit..
    Please fill me in..
    I was going to adapt a side_cut router bit for my cnc_plasma table to do foam.
    I did not flip the model at all.
    I don't use the lines (or faces) I just use the plhat_edge generated lines for my cuts. my second post kind of describes the process..

5. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Hello graybeal,
    I took your butterfly, exploded it and then selected it all and right clicked to pick the Phlat Edge menu and used the Phlatten selected edges tool to drop all the lines flat. I then assigned a 50% depth to the center line tool and this seemed to do the trick.
    Hope this helps
    BTW cool looking drawing, thank you for sharing :good:
    Mark and Trish
    Attached files butterfl54.cnc (155.1 KB)Â butterfly_1_rework.skp (2.3 MB)Â [​IMG]

6. graybeal

graybeal New Member

I want to keep this simple but after selecting with "Phlatten selected edges" what is your next key stroke to "drop flat" I never raise off the red/green plane after import.
    but I do see two layer in the model.

Also do I edit Constants.rb to get the "50% depth"
    Thanks for your replys

the rework is perfect.

7. kram242

Hi graybeal
    When you select the Phlatten tool it tries to makes sure that everything is actually flat by dropping it to zero and adding faces needed if the loop of lines is closed.
    To set the depth of the center line tool you only need to use the left right arrow keys once the tool is selected from the menu. Look in the bottom left hand of the screen for tips on each tool you select. As you use the arrow keys you will notice the depth change in the bottom right side of the screen. You can also type the depth number you would like to use followed with the % sign and then hit enter to set it. Once the depth is set you are ready to use it.
    Here are a few videos to help with using SketchUcam viewforum.php?f=99
    You can also check out the help
    Hope this helps
    Mark and Trish

8. graybeal

graybeal New Member

The clean up video sure helps with sketch up. sure solves my problems.
    I missed understood phlatten I was thinking it just highlighted cuts, makes sense to me now.
    I didn't know about WELD cool app.

Thanks

9. kram242

:good: Glad to be able to help out.
    Looking forward to seeing what you come up with in your designs.
    Mark and Trish

10. graybeal

graybeal New Member

Is there a way to turn (motor or in my case plasma torch) off and on for each edge cut?
    Right now the gcode turns on a relay (break-out board) at start and finish.
    I guess I could use lasycam to add the code manually.

I very thankful that I have people like you guys that are willing to help.

11. graybeal

graybeal New Member

12. kram242

Not being familiar with the coding for a plasma cutter. I would first attempt to use Notepad++ to find and replace all Z+ moves with turning the cutter off and all Z- moves with turning the cutter on. This would be pretty easy and quick. Down the road you could edit the SketchUcam code to do this as well so that you would not have to have that extra step in the future. I think this would be a great addition to a future release of SketchUcam.
    http://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v6.2.3.html
    Mark and Trish

13. graybeal

graybeal New Member

Your sketch-up "tool" and web site, make my life with cnc GREAT.

I'm able to take any silhouette and convert them to gcode instantly.
    I'm using mach3 on my home built cnc plasma table. After importing a bmp into inkscape, then "trace bitmap" and saving as a DXF file, sketch-up and PHLATE tools does the rest perfectly. No other editing needed, z works great. I'm only useing centerline tool.(don't need off-set)
    I knew nothing about cnc plasma tables before starting this project.

Thank You

14. kram242

Awesome to hear graybeal! :doubleup: A true testament to the guyz who worked hard to make SketchUcam what is is today. Thanks for the good feedback it means a lot.
    Mark and Trish
    P.S. can you post some pics of your projects? That would be cool to see.
    Thanks