1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Ovals not coming out right in Phlatcode

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Bugs' started by Gefahren, May 9, 2010.

1. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

Ok, heres what I do to get this error.

In SU I draw a circle, lets say 2" radius. Then I use the scale tool to stretch the circle to 6 times its lenght. That gives us a 12" X 2" oval. Then I apply an outside cut to it and generate the code. When I view the code in Mach3 it comes out as several arcs each with the same radius and looks kinda like a cloud. If in SU I draw a line accros one end of the oval and remove that end then apply the outside cut it comes out the same in the G-code except all the arcs are reversed.

I realize that ovals are actually kinda hard to code as individual arcs but does anyone have a suggestion besides breaking the shape up and using line segments? Attached files OvalExample1.cnc (1.5 KB)Â [​IMG] OvalExample2.cnc (1.3 KB)Â [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Hello Gefahren,
    I think this will be the only way you could do this at this time. You may try to right click on the circle before you scale it and enter a higher number in the entity info, say maybe 144 that way it will come out a smoother. You will need to explode the curve as well before you output to code. Its not idea but it will work.
    Mark

3. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I think it has more to do with the way the script is dealing with the absolute arcs from Sketchup. I bet if you use the explode curve on the circle or oval after the stretch then apply the the Phlatscript lines it will look correct in the gcode. Unfortunately it will be individual segments now making the circle or oval but the problem will be gone. Sorry that is my only suggestion.

4. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

Yes, exploding the oval will make it a bunch of straight line segments, which is ok if I set the number higher than the default 24.

I was really just pointing out that the Phlatscript doesn't handle it correctly. Which I assume to handle it correctly it would still be lots of arc segments, but would have the radii different for each one along with the centerpoint.

5. foamlvr

foamlvr Member

Sketchup has a plugin to draw an ellipse and the code works fine for me. I'm not using 9.23 yet, so I can't say for sure if the ellipse plugin will work for everyone.

6. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I would suggest keeping an eye on the "The Bezier Spline plugin created by Fredo6 ". http://sketchuppluginreviews.com/2010/0 ... in-review/
    The perfect feature is "Convert to Catmull Spline" (look at the last pic for the cnc sim), but I just realized it has a bug and leaves one of the segment unconverted. I've just posted on the sketchucation thread about the bug, so hopefully it will be fixed in the next release. There are many nice tools in this plugin.

The 1st two pictures show the bug. It seems to show up random places depending on where you right click. The worst is, pic #2 when at a highly curved end. That is the oval you described, 2 inch radius and stretch 6X. The circle was originally 24 segments. Converted spine was 139 segments.

-Kwok Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Ok, I got a reply back. Apparently it's not a bug. You just have to close the loop, manually. I tried it and it works perfectly!