1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Phlat3D Trials

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Related Software' started by kram242, Dec 4, 2010.

1. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

:shock: That is SWEET! Way to go guys! that turned out great and I think is the single longest 3D carving completed on a Phlatprinter yet! :D
    This was the first post Trish and I looked at this morning and I have to to tell you it really got us going and we are super happy thank you for sharing this :D
    Mark and Trish

2. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

jovian, very nice work man!!! looks great. randy.

3. blindflight

blindflight Moderator Staff Member

Great job Jovian !!!! What a way to break in a new machine :eek: ...

4. Darwin

Darwin Member

I've already e-mailed Kwok about this, but Mark said I should add a post here so Jovian would see it too:

I am cutting a rectangular tool board intended to carry 1/4" light ply as my first 3D project. I've had some issues getting going mostly related to attempting to use a Netbook as a control computer, I suspect. However, one thing that stood out as independent of the computer was that the program seems to be adding 1 bit width to all plunge cuts.

The gap between the "carrier" and my tool is supposed to be 1/4". It measures out at 3/8" both for the gaps on the side and the gaps on the front. Second, the "pocket" on the top of the tool is supposed to be 12" wide. It measures out at 12.125". I don't have a length on the pocket because the netbook kept crashing out on me. I'm cutting right now with the new notebook so we'll see what happens there.

regards,

Darwin

5. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Darwin,

I don't have an email from you? But regardless, it probably does no good to email me. It's Jovian's plugin and I am not that intimate with the real guts of it. And it changes all the time. I have made the same observation, as you. The question is if it is designed to be 100% accurate like that. For 1 thing, if it's taking equal distance slices along the x direction, then it can only be accurate up to the overstep distance and other factors.

-Kwok

6. jovian

jovian Member

Kwok, I think that he emailed me about it and just mixed up our names.

All, I am working on the issue but sketchup refuses to cooperate with me. I guess the only thing I can say right now is that I know about it and that I am working the problem. It occurs only in the x and y axis not the z though the height may be affected due to the overcut.

The issue occurs because the cut line defines the center of the bit and adjustments for its thickness need to be made. Unfortunately when I try testing for the distance and correcting I get shark teeth very similar to what was shown in the intial dome posting on this thread. To complicate matters debugging in Ruby and Sketchup is virtually non existent so that makes this whole thing take 1000x+ longer. Without knowing the conditions that cause the problem its guess work trying to find the cause and its fix/workaround.

If someone knows a way to get proper debugging tools (even basic ones, like break points, viewing variable values etc) please let me know. Simple print lines don't cut it for more than basic code at least for doing things rapidly.

7. Darwin

Darwin Member

Sorry about the mixup, guys. I'm losing my mind a bit.

Anyway, here are a couple of pictures of my first cuts generated from Phlat3D. I corrected the width and length of the pocket manually in SketcUp to allow for the bit issue and didn't bother with correcting the "carrier" gap.

This is simply a basic tool to allow the Phlatprinter to feed my wood stock through without having to dink with the rollers. The wood stock is taped into the blue foam carrier and then sent through the Phlatprinter. This makes it so that I don't have to have a sacrificial piece of 1/4" fanfold for every wood cut plus allows me to cut wood parts without tabs. Also, I'd like to introduce Indy the Shop Puppy who appears for the first time in the first photo.

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. kram242

I found this post that basic says no
    Are there any debugging tools available for Ruby?
    Not that are commonly used with SketchUp. Debugging Ruby is a challenge that typically requires a lot of puts() statements to print things to the Ruby console and watch what's going on, or even using Ruby's file access capabilities to write to log files. If you're really stuck on something, post your problem to the google group or Ruby forum on Sketchucation.com. We're all happy to help.

But then I found this and I think it may work
    SuRDebug is a Microsoft Windows GUI editor and shell surrounding Google SketchUp and the Ruby-Debug debugger.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Programmin ... ebug.shtml
    Hope this helps
    Mark and Trish

9. kram242

Darwin that is a great idea! I think this will work well and you my find that you don't even need to tape it. Very cool!
    Hi to Indy :) Everyone needs a good shop puppy :)
    Thanks for sharing
    Mark and Trish

10. jovian

jovian Member

hmm that sounds interesting Mark. I will have to try it out.

11. kram242

Cool Jovian, I hope it can work for you. I really have no idea what to look for in a 'good' debugging tool but this one seems to work with Sketchup and from the looks of it very few do?
    Thanks
    Mark and Trish

12. jovian

jovian Member

That certainly has the meeded nasic debug tools but javing problems actually debugging something. Getting an error about the flush method in both 7 and 8. Hopefully more fiddling will help

13. marcomartim

marcomartim Member

This plugin is very good!
    Thank you for providing

I have two questions according to the figure attached

1 - How to cut just the outline of the seat
    2 - In large parts where I need to make small details in opposite extremities, the plugin cuts on the face of the whole number, how to cut it only in details?

Hugs ...

(google translator) Attached files [​IMG]

14. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

1) Can you phlatten that curved part and just used the regular phlatscript to get the 2d outline? Phlat3D can't do that (see #2) and I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to do there.

2) Phlat3D doesn't let you pick. It does everything, and covers the area of the entire bounding box (see 1st picture). From what I can see, it moves in a zig zag pattern and gets the height at every point (ray test).

If it worked on groups then it could do what you want. You just generate gcode seperately for each small area you want. But that's not the way it currently works.

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. kram242

This is something we talked about a little last night with the Wiki Speed car body carving. There are programs out there that will allow you to select two bounded vector loops and generate the carving between them. But like Kwok stated this is not possible with the Phlat3D... Yet! :D
    I like the idea of groups to accomplish this Kwok or maybe even just a set of selected faces?
    Thanks
    Mark and Trish

16. marcomartim

marcomartim Member

Thanks for help.

1 - If the chair seat is not enough to flatten because the court needs to be done in stages and the tool is short.

2 - In this case there are larger pieces that require milling a large area, and then finish on small details.

I figured that a breakthrough similar to what occurred with the new version of phlatscript, and finish one part before proceeding to another would be very welcome.

I'm not complaining, just wishing the evolution of the plugin.
    the developers have done a good job so far.

Hugs

google translator

17. cemal

cemal New Member

You guys are true stars.
    I thank you for showing me, a cnc simpleton a new world and a fantastic product.
    I wish you and all the guys contributing all the best in your work.

Thank you, Thank you and Thank you again

Cemal

18. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I got a chance to finally use this plugin. It worked very nice. On bigger files it does take a while to generate code but that is understandable. The only thing that is off is the tool offset in the Y axis (which Jovian already knows about) The dimensions were spot on for the X and Z directions though.

Thanks again for the awesome plugin Jovian, its :fantastic:

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. kram242

Nice Shaun! I missed this post some how. great job :doubleup:
    Mark and Trish

20. jovian

jovian Member

Well all I made some changes to the 3D portion of sketchucam and I wanted to test them. I have been wanting to get into some EDFs and I had a couple from a Nitroplanes arf that weren't even powerful enough for their model. THought they might work for mine but since I am new to EDFs I wanted to test a couple things in regards to the ducting. So I made a little Ducting Block with the 3D code. Let me tell you this thing fits like a glove. The File is split into 4 layers.

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

21. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Looks good. Have you fixed the offset issue?

You know you need to slap a brushless motor on there. What size fan is that? It looks about a 64mm?

22. jovian

jovian Member

Unfortunately that Offset is being One stinker to get right. I do have something that may help without to many bad artifacts but its not near ready yet. The main change that I have made is that the cuts will only occur on the part and not a whole rectangle. The above part isn't the best to show this but if you notice each halfs right top side isn't milled in the old script this portion would also have been milled even though its useless and just consumes time and electricity. All that said the above I was able to mill out in about 15 - 20 minutes. I am not sure how edfs are measured, and I have long since lost the documentation for the plane. That said the fan itself is 55mm and the outside lip of the shroud is 68mm. Yes I know it needs brushless and in fact the motor burned out when I tested. Unfortunately I can not take the motor out of the shroud/fan Seems to be glued in there really well.

23. kram242

This sounds like we are all going to have to work together on to try and solve.
    Maybe we could start a post here viewforum.php?f=275 in the Ruby section and learn as we go :)
    Mark and Trish

24. jovian

jovian Member

That sounds good mark. I will get a write up made of the problem and post it in the thread you mention.

25. kram242

Thank you Nick :)
    Mark and Trish