1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

PhlatCode Multipass Manglerizer NOW V 1.2.0

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Related Software' started by FozzyTheBear, Nov 17, 2009.

1. FozzyTheBear

FozzyTheBear Member

[​IMG]

Mwwwwwahhhh Haaaaaa Haaaaaa Haaaaaaaa!!!!
    Dr Frankenbear Is back!!!!

Egor!!! Get off my computer!!! Stop playing "Call Of Duty", you fool!! We need to finish this software! Throw the switches, we need more power!! Mmmwwaah Haa Haa Haa Haaaaaaaa!!!

What is The Phlatcode Multipass Manglerizer??....... It's a stand alone utility that allows you to turn ordinary PhlatCode into MultiPass Phlatcode.

Why do I need it?? Because it massively expands the capabilities of even the stock Phlatprinter, by allowing even the stock machine, to cut thicker and harder materials.

How does it work?? It takes your Phlatcode which has been output by the PhlatScript and runs a conversion on it, that means that when it's cut on the Phlatprinter, instead of doing the whole cut in one bite, it takes multiple passes over the cut and takes a smaller depth cut at the material on each pass.

Why Is It a Stand Alone Utility?? Because the development will be ongoing!! ..... Subject to support from you guys! And as a stand alone it will be able to process not just PhlatCode but other G-code files! and there are thousands of those out on the web... Not to mention that I have plans to expand this utility to include some additional REALLY COOL stuff!!.. More about that later.

What are the benefits??

1) You can cut much thicker and harder materials. Imagine that your Daughter wants a Dolls House... But you've seen the stupid prices that fancy dolls houses sell for.... NO PROBLEMO!! Cut one out on the PhlatPrinter!! But Dr FrankenBear those dolls houses are made from 1/4" and 1/2" Hard Plywood!!! My Phlatprinter will choke and die if I feed it that stuff!!
    That's simply not a problem any more!! Turn your Phlatcode into Multipass Phlatcode and there's no reason why even the stock machine can't cut 1" thick solid timber!!!.

2) A Multipass Cut will often finish "FASTER!"
    than a single pass cut.
    How can that be true???!! Dr Frankenbear, you're raving mad!!!
    Yes.. I Am... Wonderful isn't it :lol: But enough about me..... Look at it this way! Lets say you have a cut on 1/4" Plywood. Lets say the maximum speed you can take that single pass cut at, is 10IPM. Lets say this cut takes 30mins to complete.

Now lets look at the equivalent cut as a 3 pass Multipass. Although the cut will pass over the material 3 times, it's only taking a shallow cut on each pass and because cut pressures increase exponentially the deeper you cut, these shallow cuts will now allow you to run the machine much faster!! and still not put any strain on it... So you can now run this cut at 60IPM.... So although you're taking three passes at it, because of the higher speed it will complete in HALF THE TIME!!

Here's a screen-shot of the interface actually running a conversion.. just to wet your appetite!!
    [​IMG]

="color: #0000FF;">Dr Frankenbear!! PLEASE TELL ME WHERE I CAN PURCHASE THIS WONDEROUS PIECE OF SOFTWARE!!!??? You can't purchase it anywhere!!! you will never be able to purchase it!! Mwaaaahhh Haaaa Haaaaa Haaaaaaaaaa!!! because it's FREE to download and FREE to use

EGOR!!! Get out of here and procure 15 more Hamsters!!! set them to work in their cute little wheels, powering the generator, for the computational device!!!! And no eating them this time!!!!! We need to get this done!!

DOWNLOAD AVAILABLE NOW!!

Right Egor!! hamster sandwich time!! :D
    See attached file! this is a zip file containing a self extracting archive and licence agreement. Extract it to a folder on your computer and run the program. That's all there is to it. I included all the required .DLL files so even if you don't have Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 installed on your machine it should still run. If not! then just download the free .NET Framework 3.5 addon from Microsoft.

The software will in no way damage your computer, it does not mess with your registry or any other system files. I hate that in software! so I never write it that way.

Here's a screenshot of the output running inside Mach3.
    [​IMG]
    You can see here, that it leaves all your tabs and centreline cuts intact. In this cut you can see how it evenly steps down through the material, until the last cut where it does the same even sized step + allows the overcut that was in the original PhlatCode.

if you have any problems or it falls over with one of your PhlatCode files! PLEASE!! let me know straight away so I can look at getting a fix out.

NEW VERSION! 1.2.0

Now includes the Phlatcode Editor requested by three people. This works in a very similar way to notepad, but also has some extra features. Also includes default save file names, requested by KWOK...
    1) This is now a Multi Tabed Application.... at the top of the screen are three tabs one for the Manglerizer one for the Editor and one for the Drag and Drop 3D Sign Maker and 3D Carving Creator. (this last one is still under development and not active in this version, but coming soon....)
    2) You can pass PhlatCode backwards and forwards between the Editor and the Manglerizer at the click of a single button
    3) Includes quick edit buttons with 10 of the most used G-code lines, so that you don't have to remember the correct syntax for them
    4) You can now load and save your PhlatCode directly in the editor OR load it in the Manglerizer and flop it into the editor with a single click.
    5) Default file names are provided in the save dialog boxes of the Manglerizer with "MPS_yourfilename.cnc" as the format... where the "yourfilename" bit, is the file you originally loaded.
    6) Now has the option to Print a copy of your Phlatcode on your default printer.

[​IMG]

Change Log:
    V1.0 (original release)
    V1.0.1 Various bug fixes
    V1.1.0 Unreleased development version.
    V1.2.0 Current release version. (Download Attached)

In Development:
    1) Beefing up the parser to make it more bullet proof, replacing the case based decisions with an algorithm that searches, captures and replaces the z moves faster and more accurately.
    2) 3D Carving and Sign Making Drag And Drop Designer. Work in progress... could take a while to get this one right. That said I'm working on a cut down development version that produces 3D text signs right now. may release that first.

ENJOY!! :D

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear) Attached files Multipass_Manglerizer_1_2_0.zip (3.4 MB)Â

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    TOO COOL FOZZY!!!!
    This is going to be AWESOME brother!

The fact that you kept this free says a lot about your character.. Very cool indeed Fozzy way to go!
    Wonderful presentation as well. You have me hooked I can't wait to give this a go!
    Mark

3. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

bear, man this is great!! it will really open up the printer capability big time...also you can forget about what i said about bending the linear rods, lols...i will be looking forward to trying this on my overhead phlatprinter..now its really time for EXACT decimal pocket depth control...randy.

4. kram242

Randy he had us both fooled :D This is all too cool!
    Mark

5. rjarois

yea mark, i can hear him giggling at us with that frankenstein laugh, lols......

6. ApachePilot

ApachePilot New Member

wonderful job!!! Thankyou for sharing
    :p

7. blindflight

blindflight Moderator Staff Member

This is great!!!!! Thanks!!!

8. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Cool! Fozzy, what programming software are you using to write this?

9. FozzyTheBear

FozzyTheBear Member

That's a very sore point :lol: mostly because I hate the software! it made my job much harder. It was written in Microsoft Visual Basic.... but it really could have been written in C# or C++ or even Delphi as Tim is trying to persuade me to convert myself to it.

To be honest I could have written it much faster in a DOS based language. Probably about two days to write it that way. But I had to spend over a week fighting with the horrible Visual Basic and Microsoft .NET Framework..... Mind you that said I learned the new version of VB quite quickly, it's a swine to use but it is very powerful.

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

10. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

I can't BEAR waiting any longer!!! Get busy you silly fool. Crack that whip, tote that barge, get on with it man! Don't tease us like that :mrgreen: We lowlifes have no patience!

11. xtremeRCpilot

xtremeRCpilot Member

Im a little fozzy, What does this do? LOL :D
    Oh, MAN you are one sick Dude, Foz!! You should open a paypal donation page so we can send you some funds for this! Between you and Gasmasher if every Phlathead sent you guys a few bucks, you may be able to retire ;)
    Cant wait to see this in action! :p

John

12. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

This is great Fozzy!
    I've played around with the multipass tool in Mach to cut some 1/4" MDF a while back and it helped a lot. I like the look of your program, as it just simplifies things better than mach.
    Can't wait to play around with it.

13. FozzyTheBear

FozzyTheBear Member

The problem I found with the one in Mach is that it fails to work properly on PhlatCode... When you use it (because PhlatCode uses negative values for its z moves) it knocks all the tabs and centreline cuts out. That's kind of why I wrote this one.

and Flashsolutions... I'm a completely multi tasking 64 bit overloaded Bear :lol: I'm running debug code as I type this :D

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

14. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Heh heh heh..... yeah Fozzy, I'm just teasin ya. Nuttin like a dual processor bear ya know :lol:

15. FozzyTheBear

FozzyTheBear Member

Dual Core me you know!!
    I've got two apple cores on the desk right now! I was thinking about going tripple core but the first of these two is going for a bit of a brown out... :lol:

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

16. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I remember this video from youtube, which I was most impressed with. I wonder if the Balsa Buddy could possibly be able to cut aluminum like this, with multipass cutting? Here is a challenge for Mark & Trish! ;) The guy said he used alcohol for coolant.

17. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

Wow, the hits just keep coming. This is what I need for my small mill. Including making some swash parts for a FBL 450. Looks like it may happen sooner than later :D woohoo

Dual cores are nice. I'm an AMD-3.2ghz guy and I'm watching TV via a card, ripping a movie and burning on the other drive all while my surfing Outlook and Firefox (15 tabs) are open. CPU usage about 75-85% I'll do the quad jump as mutli-threading apps are more popular.

18. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

More videos from the same guy. I just haven't seen anyone else cut metal like this. Looks very hard to do if the aluminum is not stationary?

19. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Whoa! Fozzy this will be a great companion to the Phlatscript. Can't wait to try it out. Thanks!

20. kram242

Kwok, for parts like that I think the lost foam casting may work well too. That would be an easy way to get your nicely milled foam part into aluminum :)
    You never know, the Balsa Buddy may have this potential,as the Phlatprinter was never intended for wood but it seems to do the trick :D
    Mark

21. FozzyTheBear

FozzyTheBear Member

Yes.... it's very nice, but you're not going to get any wood built machine to do that. Not with the precision and cutting forces involved. There's a lot more force involved there than there seems to be from watching the video. It's just that the machine is so solid that it makes it look easy.

The other thing is that he's using Vectric Aspire, software..... Hideously expensive!! and right now, even though it is hideously expensive, it's probably one of the cheaper solutions for that sort of work at a cost of $1,995 just for the software. http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/aspire/aspire_index.html

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

22. kram242

Fozzy,
    Now that is a great idea, because you could keep reusing the same mold!
    Enough of this talk! When Fozzy when will it be ready! :lol:
    Mark

23. rjarois

kwok, this a fairly new machining technique...at least new from when i first started machining, lols. heck i ran machines old school before "cnc" came along for 20 years...back then we would take the biggest cut, at a slow feed and speed...without snappin the cutter, and or rippin the work from the machine...i would say at least 5 or so years went by runnin cnc machines the same way.....then with the tool technology and coating development, we started to do whats now called "high speed machining"
    ....we found the cutting pressures were were way, way, lower and with the cut being cut easier, the tool deflection was alot less also. with the increased cutting surface feeds, cutter rpm, and small fast feed cuts..the future of tool and coating technologies, tool materials, this will increase at a slower pace, as probably someday it will hit the upper limits...im sure someday, cutting in this fashion will be compared to cave men hunting with stone tools. randy.

24. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Yep, I remember cutting a few things like that, when I was in school. One time I snapped (shattered) a 1/2" endmill, when it hit what must have been a hardened rivot. Was trying to lighten up a weedwacker engine. :D

25. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Sweet! Now I know where the hampsters went!