1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Planet CNC-USB Controller/Software Questions?

Discussion in 'Planet CNC USB Controller Card' started by kram242, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Grabo

Grabo New Member

Hi guys this is what i get when i try to maximize screen

and when i press ok the programme shuts down this is only the trail vision could this be my graphics card ? i have down loaded all relevant files Attached files [​IMG]

2. Kroko

Kroko Member

Hi

I implemented some safeguards in DirectX engine.
    If you're having DirectX problems you can try this beta version
    http://www.planet-cnc.com/files/Files20-20101005_BETA.zip.
    If it still doesn't work then there is something wrong with your graphic card, graphic card drivers or DirectX installation. You can check this with DXDiag tool. You can also send me DXDiag report so that I can analyse it.

3. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I tried the beta to see if it would work for me and it is still doing the same thing. I appreciate you doing this though, I was sure hoping it worked. The good thing is the computer I intend to use the card for it works fine on.

4. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

Hey guyz. Just wanted to update everyone on a question we all had on last weeks show.

We had installed the planet-cnc software on our desktop computer. We then attempted to run the Phlatprinter on our lap top. It appeared, at the time, that you could only install your license code on one computer.

We spoke to Kroko about this and his response was:

You have old license which is locked on computer. New license is locked on controller so that you can use on any computer but only with your controller. You can have more than one license installed if you have many controllers.

We have had our board for quite a while. The new boards will allow you to run it on more than one computer.

Just thought you would all like to know.

Thanks,

Mark and Trish

5. blindflight

blindflight Moderator Staff Member

Good info guys, thanks!!!

6. Grabo

Grabo New Member

Thank you Kroko
    It was my Graphics card i renewed card as i only use computer for my office work and had only installed a basic card (about 4-5 years ago).

Workshop computer had no problems with program which is the one i use for my phlatprinter

Thanks for your quick response Kroko

7. toadsix

toadsix New Member

Do I need to get a separate driver card for the stepper motors? Or when you say "drivers" are we talking computer software drivers?

8. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

toadsix ,
    You will need a motor driver card for your motors, there are several styles and manufacturers out there Some have all the motor driver circuits on one board and there are even ones that are individual motor drivers separate boards

The USB controller board is linked via a cable between the motor drivers board(s) and has it own software to control the motors

Depending on your motor driver board you choose you will have to make a custom cable to make this link.

We sell a package deal for the USB controller+software with the 3 axis motor driver board cable included here:
    http://www.phlatboyz.com/
    Feel free to send us an email phlatboyz@phlatboyz.com if you have any questions on ordering
    Hope this helps
    Mark and Trish

9. toadsix

toadsix New Member

So If I understand correctly, PC(running software)><--usb cable--><--usb controller--><--stepper motor(s)

Thanks!

10. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

I believe it is...
    PC(Software)----usbcable ---usbcontroller-------custom cable------Motor driver board-------steppers

The way most of us are currently running

PC (Mach3 Software) ------parallel cable-----Motor Driver board ----steppers.

Key difference is we use Mach3 which is (I think) more than that USB controller board/software combination, and from the sounds of things the USB controller/software combo will give more features. With the USB Controller/software, Mach3 isn't needed.

To further cloud the issue, there is an open source (read free) equivalent to Mach3 that runs on Ubuntu - Linux is you wish to use that in place of Mach3.

If I were starting from scratch today, I would go USB controller/Software.

11. toadsix

toadsix New Member

hmmm, ok.

Thanks for that super quick reply :)

I don't see the motor driver board in the store, then again I don't know what I'm looking for :roll:

Ca someone post a link?

Thanks for the help

12. rcav8r

http://www.phlatboyz.com/Driver-Deal_p_56.html

Links shows a picture of the driver board along with steppers, and such.

Please note this at the bottom of the page
    This package includes:

(1) 3 Axis Mechatronics Driver Board
    (1) 24v 6.5A Power Supply
    (1) DB 25 Printer Cable (Parallel Port)
    (3) 127 oz. Torque (166 oz. BiPolar) Stepper Motors

We will have this deal in stock on or before November 1, 2010.
    Thank you,

13. toadsix

toadsix New Member

Ok I was checking that out but wasn't sure if that was the board we are talking about.

That driver board, isn't that the original board for the mark 1 and 2?

Thanks again

14. rcav8r

Yep

15. toadsix

toadsix New Member

That where I'm a little crossed up. I thought the mark 1 and 2 only used that board for both motor driver and software control.
    If that is the case, what is the advantage to have the separate card besides the USB functionality??

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

That board does NOT need a $175 license for Mach3 to process gcode, and comes with some fairly impressive interface software of its own.

17. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

All Phlatprinter versions use the driver board. The common control software used on the MK1 and 2 was Mach3.
    The usb board/software is used in place of Mach3 on the Phlatprinter3 or any cnc machine for that matter.

18. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Also, hopefully there will be increased reliability and performance. There can be timing glitches with the parallel port, even if not using a notebook. Very dependent on the pc's entire system and any software it may be running. With the usb controller adapter, you have a hardware microcontroller that is dedicated to sending the pulses to the driver board. You might want to check out this recent review: viewtopic.php?f=253&t=2240

-Kwok

19. toadsix

toadsix New Member

Ok, thanks for the reply's everyone. That clear's a lot up for me.

20. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

Couple of quick questions. How do you scale a project up or down, and how do you restart the simulator at the beginning?

I bought a card btw and as soon as I get my shop computer working again I'll try it out.

21. Kroko

Kroko Member

You can scale using menu commands "Program/Scale/...".

You can start simulator by pressing F12. Simulator starts from selected g-code line. To restart it just click of first g-code line.
    Speed of simulation can be increased by pressing Shift+F12 and decreased with Ctrl+F12.
    There is also a scrollbar under g-code which can be used for "quick" simulation. I find it very useful.

22. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, I'm doing something wrong on this restart sim thing. I start the sim for the first time on a particular code, (seems any code) Then I stop it. I click on the beginning (or any another line) of the code and that line highlights, 'see attachment 'cnc con pic1'. Then press f12 again and the sim returners to where I stopped it and continuous on. 'see attachment 'cnc con pic2'.

The only key pressed in between pic1 and pic2 was f12.
    Even closing the program then re-opening the program and reloading the code I still start where I left off ;) Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

23. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

I am seeing the same thing. Was not sure how it was supposed to work so did not say anything.

24. Kroko

Kroko Member

Opps. I forget this was changed.
    You can change simulation position with scrollbar under g-code list.
    In new version which I'm about to publish doubleclick on g-code line will also reposition simulation.

Regards
    Andrej

25. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Good work Kroko! I just checked the new version and it's working like you describe.

Here is a tip for everyone. I noticed that clicking on the 1st line "%" doesn't do anything. Possible it has no meaning as far as the plot. So one way to restart is, double click anything at the top besides that line. For example, double clicking one of the comment lines will get you to the beginning.

-Kwok