1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

plastic film

Discussion in 'Foam Talk' started by swim93, Apr 17, 2010.

1. swim93

swim93 New Member

anyone know a good easy clean way to get the plastic film off of the blue FFF?
    i need to peel it off two sheets cause i don't really want it on my next build.

2. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

I don't know of any easy way. It is a slow tedious process, best done after cutting the foam to shape.

You have to get a start by using an Xacto knife to separate the film and then peal it away. The problem is the indentations which are pressed into the foam by the manufacturing process.

Try pealing the film from different directions. Sometimes it peals more easily in one direction than another.

Have never tried to steam the film to see if it might loosen it, but that might be worth a try.

If anyone does come up with a good solution, I am sure we would all welcome hearing about it.

3. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Try a wood dowel or broom handle and roll the the film onto it. You will need to get a corner up 1st, to get it started.

4. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

I was thinking of building a hot wire slicer to cut down the 2 inch thick foam for stuff I don't want the plastic skin on, you could prob get tons of foam that way

5. swim93

swim93 New Member

good ideas guys thank you.
    i am kind of reconsidering it now though cause i peeled it off of one side entirely and it really really cut down on the strength of the foam.
    i think i will try it anyways though.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

I wonder if anyone has ever peeled an entire sheet and then weighed the ball of film they removed. I'll bet the total weight isn't more than 3 grams.
    I'm too lazy to do it myself - I just leave it on there because it does lend strength and rigidity to the foam.
    Your Opinion May Vary. ;)

7. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

I have been using the floor underlayment and it has the skin on both sides. I love it, really makes for a tough airplane. Of course you could always add tape to both sides at key points to accomplish the same thing if not stronger.
    Mark

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

"floor underlayment" ?? What's that and where did you get it?

9. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

I got some at ABC supply company once, it is really good stuff, some waves but not nearly as wavy as PBIII

10. kram242

I got mine from a place called universal supply. They are a builders supply house.
    In construction I would shop there all the time, but I never knew that they sold fanfold. Evil-Tunes is the one who told me about them carrying fanfold. I have been going there and getting bundles ever since :D
    Mark

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Okay, but what is it? Is there a part number or brand name that I can look it up? A link, maybe?
    (I'm not in the construction trade, and the only "underlayment" I've ever seen is the soft foam/ sound buffer layer under the Pergo-type flooring.)

12. kram242

13. dz1sfb

dz1sfb Member

Swim,
    Here is the method that I subscribe to. Works great, and I never have built a model with the film on with the exception of my first foray into foamies some 10 years ago.

Ken :)

14. kram242

Great tip Ken thank you for sharing this, simple and quick :)
    Mark and Trish

15. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Wow!
    You made that look too easy. Great tip! Thanks!

16. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

That was pretty slick! :D

17. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

Now that's the way to do it! I have never gotten the stuff to peel off like that. I was going to ask if people peel the foam before running it through there Phlatprinters or after since I never leave it on anything I build (or try to build). I'm gonna have to start practiceing that for my MKIII.

18. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

Amazing! Thanks for sharing Ken! I prefer skin off for painting and other issues. It has always been a pain getting the skin off and this will save a bunch of time!

19. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Gee I gotta go try that now. I only have pink foam. Hope it's the same :)

20. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

WOW - If I'd known how to do it that easily, I'd have never cut a model with the film. Now, if we could just talk 3M into putting the printing on that side, it would ALL be good!

21. blindflight

blindflight Moderator Staff Member

That was like a magic show!! Very cool...

22. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Forgot to post last night as I got caught up watching the teaser build of the MK3 off and on last night among other things. (My kids loved the cat in the build video BTW, they would keep going over to the PC to see what he was up to)

Anyway on to the foam...I first tried this with a sheet of pink foam. Not sure if it was because it was my first try, or if it was that the pink is thicker than the blue, but I didn't get it off in one sheet. Sure was a LOT easier than the way I used to do it. One huge sheet of film, with a few smaller pieces. Even these smaller pieces were WAY bigger than my usual method.

I then found an almost full sheet of blue. Came off just like in the video.

Trick is ( as the pros know ;) ) is to get some bow in the foam while removing the film.

GREAT method for sure.