1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Plunge Tool Issue or Question

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Help' started by HeliSteve, Feb 7, 2016.

1. HeliSteve

HeliSteve New Member

Hi Guys,

My question / issue is when I use the plunge to make holes it will plunge the hole great, but then it will move over about 1/2 the hole diameter, and plunge again. So I end up with egg shaped holes.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thank you for the help.

Steve

2. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

you have an old version of SketchUcam(?)
    and
    you have a line intersecting the hole.
    the little colored line that designates the hole position must not have anything crossing it.

but now, I must ask if you are using the latest version of SketchUcam? V1.4 is what you want.
    I ask because since a few versions back plunge holes get grouped during creation and this solves intersection problems excepting for overlaid horizontal lines which will just prevent the plunge hole being cut at all.

quoted from the help
    if you really have to drill holes on top of an existing line, group the underlying line before adding the plunge holes.

3. HeliSteve

HeliSteve New Member

My bad. I should have said what version I have. It is V1.4-22ee.

I do not have any lines crossing the holes. Aaaahhhhhh, I just figured out what you mean in your fourth sentence.

So is it best to just draw some cross hairs to center the plunge tool on? If you know what I mean.

Thanks.

4. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

yes, I normally draw a triangle toward the lower left, so the hole center is the top right corner of the triangle.
    this way the plunge hole never gets interfered with, and can be deleted and replaced without losing the center.

cross hairs will work, so long as no part of it is horizontal, or if it is, group it before placing the plunge hole.

if you are putting a plunge hole inside a drawn circle of the same size, you can get an intersection at the end of the colored line, and hence 2 holes drilled. remove the drawn circle, replacing it with either a center point (there is a plugin for 'set center point' that will do this for you before you delete the circle) or a triangle that indicates the hole center (smaller than the bit diameter!)