1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Pocket absolute depth

Discussion in 'SketchUcam 'Most wanted Feature'' started by generalsocial, Mar 7, 2017.

1. generalsocial

generalsocial New Member

I think it'd be nice to be able to set a depth for pocketing.

As things stand it's a percent. So if you want a given depth you have to take the thickness, find the percent that gives the depth and put that in. I have to get out my calculator every time...

And if the material is a bit thicker or thinner then I have to delete all the pockets (and they are hard to delete) and put them all back in again...

It's a lot of work...

2. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

This is on the list for the winter coding spree.

However, there is another way which I have explained several times both here and in my videos (and on http://www.openbuilds.com ).

Set the pocket depth to 100%, then set the material thickness to the depth you want.
    Yes, this means you generate a Gcode file per pocket depth, but you can use the joiner to join them together into one file for cutting.

Remember that Gcode will only be generated for selected items unless nothing is selected.

TigerPilot likes this.
  3. Gary Caruso

Gary Caruso New Member

David, Good tip for the depth and joining, but I agree would be great to have absolute. I just did a project with 3 different depths of pockets on one part..