1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Pocketing Help

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Help' started by andy dochterman, Feb 18, 2015.

1. andy dochterman

andy dochterman New Member

See attached Pic. wondering what is going on with trying to pocket the face...looks funny and doesn't work. I have played with it and can manually modify the tool path to make it work, but wondering what you guys thoughts of what I need to do better...

Thanks...AndyDoc Snap7.jpg

2. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the pocket tool is not very good part of the SketchUcam. It makes a great job of simple pockets but if the pocket is a bit more complicated, it fails.

You can try a work-around. Divide the part into many, smaller and more regular, segments and make the pockets in the segments. In the above pic the tail is good so make a line where the pocket fails. Do the same for the legs and eventually you'll have the whole thing pocketed.

3. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

hold down CTRL and add only the boundary to the shape.
    then split it into simple shapes that the pocket tool likes (simple concave shapes, though it does manage some convex shapes if simple enough).
    then hold down SHIFT and zigzag each subarea
    now remove the split lines, you can leave them but the outline will cut as one piece if you remove them, takes less time.

and yes, this is mentioned in the help

watch this for an example of the splitting process

the math for Minimum Convex Decomposition, which would solve the pocket problem, is still beyond me (-:
    I am a programmer not a mathematician. ;)