1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Problem making a face in sketchup after importing DXF

Discussion in 'Sketchup Help' started by gasmasher, Apr 30, 2009.

1. gasmasher

gasmasher New Member

I imported one of the dino DXF files into sketchup and was able to make faces for all the parts but three. I noticed the main difference between those three parts and all the others is they have more than one slot for fitting pieces together. I'm pretty sure those slots (single lines touching the outer edge of the parts) are what is causing the problem. Usually I can just redraw a short line on the part and the face is created.

What is the easiest way to detach the slots from the edge so I can create the face? At this point I am planning to just add some tape measure lines, delete the existing lines, create the face, and then add the slots back. I'm sure someone else has a better method.

edit: I put this in the wrong forum. Please move it to the sketchup forum if you can. Thanks

2. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

gasmasher,

Here is a few suggestions.

Try the stray line plugin to id where the lines are broken:
    http://www.smustard.com/script/StrayLines

for example from a previous post of mine, what the plugin does:
    viewtopic.php?f=34&t=689&p=5375#p5375

Also, there is a plugin that makes the faces for you, you might want to try it first when you start a project. Should save you alot of clicking. It's called makefaces:
    http://www.smustard.com/script/MakeFaces

Converting pdf to dxf can to be a mess. I don't know about other sources of dxfs. Make sure to check out firetrappe's tutorials here. I learned some important things from it:
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=138

-Kwok

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Did you try using the "Flatten to 2D" plugin? I've had those troubles before, and it was because 1 or 2 lines were floating a zillionth of an inch above the 2D plane.
    It's here: http://www.smustard.com/script/Flatten and $10 and worth every penny!

4. gasmasher

gasmasher New Member

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to try them when I get home from work this afternoon. I really should have read more threads before asking.

5. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

I found that the plugins that Kwok mentioned don't always work. I do what Dennis said, I flatten the part. If is still doesn't make a face after I flattened it and redrew a line along the part I make triangles. I make a line from on side to the other. From the last point I make a second line to the base of the first line but a bit away. If I have a face then I continue to make triangles until I have all the part a face and then erase all the lines. If a triangle doesn't turn into a face I zoom in and look for the problem in that area.

Yoram

6. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

You can also try selecting the edges and right click to go to the Phlatscript sub-menus and pick order selected edges.
    Its being worked on but it may just work for you. importing dxf's has always been a problem and so far no one has written a script to solve this, but maybe in the future.
    Right now its a matter of going through and fixing by hand. I have noticed that there are some dxf's that seems to look a lot better when imported then others. I'm not sure what the difference is but you can tell as soon as its imported. It will have very jagged lines.
    In some case I just retrace the whole thing to get it right :)
    Mark

7. gasmasher

gasmasher New Member

Order selected edges did the trick. Thanks for all the options guys.

8. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Good deal, thank Pete hes the one who came up with that one :)
    Thanks Pete!
    Mark