1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Profile F35 with simple thrust vectoring

Discussion in 'Single Wing Aircraft Plans' started by janbjorn, May 8, 2009.

1. janbjorn

janbjorn Member

My profile F22 designed by tomhe (http://rc.tomhe.net) has been the workhorse in my fleet for about a year now and it starts to show. It's getting pretty dinged up and heavy from all the added glue.

I have found a similar plane (the F35) and decided that's gonna be the next home for the Suppo/GH 2212/6 motor thats currently powering the F22. I have modified the plans slightly and I have also added a thrust vectoring rudder. That's because I have a couple of gyros I want to try out. It would be really cool to truly hover a pusher jet (even if it's done with gyro assist)!

Numbers:
    WS: 593mm
    Length: 750mm
    motor: Suppo 2212/6 2200kv
    prop: 6x4
    Battery: 1500-2200mAh 3S lipo
    AUW target: 350-450g

The F22 I currently have does about 100km/h in level flight (measured with GPS and EagleTree logger) so I hope for similar speed from this one.

/Jan

EDIT: Uploaded a new version of the .skp with some corrections.

EDIT2: Uploaded cut file for 3mm bit and 6mm material. Attached files [​IMG] F35.skp (331.8 KB)Â F35_3mm_bit.cnc (25.9 KB)Â

2. brihoo2k

brihoo2k New Member

nice design

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

janbjorn,
    Nice job man! that thing is looking sharp thanks for sharing!
    Man you have to show a video of that in action!
    Mark

4. janbjorn

janbjorn Member

If i manage to hoover it, I will make a video for shure! I have only managed to cut the parts out yet. And "she who must be obeyed" has decided that we need new wallpaper in our livingroom so I don't expect to get any build time this week at least...

5. kram242

lol!
    Well were looking forward to it! It maybe a good thing to take a break from just jumping in and building it anyway. I find that if I go and do something else while I'm working on a design I can usually come up with better ways to accomplish things just taking a break and thinking of it from a different perspective
    Mark

6. janbjorn

janbjorn Member

Well, now the wallpapers are up, and I have managed to start building this plane. I discovered that some pieces needed adjustment and I will uppdate the sketchup-file soon.

For control surfaces I'm going with elevons (coupled ailerons and tail surfaces) and rudder. At the moment I only have one gyro so I will do some testing on which channel I get most benefit from having it there. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. kram242

janbjorn, man that is looking sharp!
    Please keep us updated with the file as well when you have it complete
    I love that last pic with F353 sitting on the Phlatprinter!
    It looks like all the parts are going together really well?
    Mark

8. meistertek

meistertek Member

Janbjorn, your F35 looks really good!

9. janbjorn

janbjorn Member

kram242, meistertek, thanks!
    It's going together quite well. I have fixed some minor issues in the sketchup file and uploaded it in the first post here. Now it's good to go for anyone wanting to try it out. I will finish installing the electrics this week and hopefully maiden next weekend.

10. kram242

Cool janbjorn thanks for posting the file :D looking forward to your maiden
    It turned out looking great
    Mark

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Well, now I have a project to use the rest of my black Depron. Thanks janbjorn. :D

12. janbjorn

janbjorn Member

That's good to hear Dorsal It will be nice to see someone else building from my plans. Please post pictures if you can. I have one concern though, today I compared the F35 to my F22 and the 35 has smaller wing area. With all the gear in and a 2200mAh lipo auw is 430gram. The F22 was happy at that weight, but I don't know how the smaller F35 will handle with the higher wingloading. Mabye the LSPJ is a better choise for this plane.

I will stick with my suppo 2212/6 but mabye fly more on my smaller 1500-1800 lipos. Dorsal, if you are going with the suppo motor it might be a good idea to scale it up 105-110% or something. That will most definitely decease the stall speed for easier landings.

13. janbjorn

janbjorn Member

Last night I managed to maiden the F35. I gave it a gentle toss at 2/3 throttle (which used to work on the similar F22) over the tallest grass I could find at the field. First 2 tosses resulted in a fligh of about 2 seconds each. CG was way to far back. Adjusted the battery forward and gave it another go. This time the flight lasted about 5 seconds and unfortunately I managed to get enough height to break the front off the plane on impact with mother earth. See pics for damage.

After checking the wreck I found that no control surface or anything vital was damaged so I decided to "go for broke" one last time. I moved the battery as far forward as I could get it, throttled up and away she went. That last flight was really sweet. It flew like on rails. Rolls are almost too quick and loops are really tight on high rates. I was so happy that it flew at all that I forgot to test if the rudder worked. Will do that as soon as I can get to the field again.

I didn't get a measurement on the CG, but t was almost at the root LE of the wing. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. cptdragn

cptdragn Member

Anyone make a cut file of this yet? I have the Skp file but I'm still having fits trying to get goggle to spit out a proper cut file without a lot of extra lines and travel. I have decided that it may just be beyond my ability :? and will have to rely on those who have a better grasp of the program to make the cut files. ( I never did get that star destroyer to work right :x )

15. Thewz

Thewz Moderator

I've been on assignment for a while now....I need to get back into the swing of things and I think this is one that I'll try.

16. kram242

Thewz good to see you again :)
    I love the look of this plane and it has been added to my build fleet!!
    Thanks janbjorn :D
    Mark

17. janbjorn

janbjorn Member

I had a request for cut files this week so I attached it to the first post.

Flew it a couple more times before I retired it and I can say that the thrust vectoring rudder only had some effect when doing high alpha, but for the added complexity of the rudder servo I would not incorporate it on my next build.