1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Rats just blew another chip

Discussion in 'Easy CNC Driver Card' started by frankrcfc, Jan 31, 2009.

1. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

yea, dennis thanks man....i didnt think of that.. i will try. randy.

2. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

Make sure the board is off. I lost a chip that way!!

Hope I'm not too late!!!

Cheers
    E-T

3. rjarois

fellas, the electrical idiot is back....i was just trying to pry the heatsink off, and the whole chip poped out. i didnt mark, or get any orientation the way it poped outta the socket...my question is when i get my new chip, is ther a certain way it will install?? is it directional like a cpu in its socket?. man i know nothing about the electrical stuff end of the phlatty. thanks, randy.

4. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Yes there is,(I have done the same thing)
    Here are couple pictures to show you
    The first pic just shows the orientation of the board so you can see how I have it setup for the picture and the next picture is zoomed in. The main thing to look for is that little angle and that will help you line it up.
    Hope this helps
    Mark

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. rjarois

thanks mark...man the village idiot would have messed something up. lols, randy.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

If you look closely at the lower photo above - in the lower right corner of the socket there is a chamfer across the corner (the round hole in the socket marks the corner) (not a pointy corner like the other three). Now look at your chip - it also has a single chamfered corner.
    Put on your good glasses and line up the chamfered corners when you re-install the chips. :geek:

7. rjarois

great, i got it fellas. thanks for the help. i got them hi temp chips coming someone was talking about.....hope ther the right ones and work ok. randy.

8. rjarois

hey mark, i just wanted to report in to tell you i got my phaltty back up and runnin...the high-temp version of the stock chip works great. dennis, mark thank for the chip orientation answers....man i would of been cookin, lols.randy.
    high-temp version part number...
    [​IMG]

9. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Just wanted give you an udpated. If you are looking for chips for the easy-cnc board, you can find them here. Just wanted to post the high temp version that Randy gave us. Thanks Randy

Need a new driver chip for your Easy-CNC driver card?
    Go here http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... 20-1078-ND
    Go here for the Hi-Temp version of this same chip
    http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=620-1076-ND
    Both chips are reported to work fine. The Hi-Temp version cost a little more but may be your choice for a driver chip as these chips do heat up. If you have more question about the Hi-Temp version ask around the forum some of the guys here are using them and can let you know how they like them.

10. rjarois

mark, this is the fella, that posted that info....im just the monkey that tried them, lols. they work great.... randy.

11. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

Just ordered some more chips for the control board a few minutes ago from Digikey. Going with the hi temp ones as stated in this post. There is another updated number (according to the tech I talked to there) to use for the hi temp version. 620-1144-1-ND. the other numer has been discontinued at least through them I was told. This new number reflects a tape and roll number. That just means they have rolls of these chips and will be cut off that roll. ;) I grabbed 5 what the heck :D

12. rjarois

frank, make a foam fan cooler, it works great .....a lil foam a 120mm pc fan quick ans simple...get some thermal epoxy for the heatsinks, dont use the cheezy tape....randy.

13. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

I actually have a 12" fan right on them. It actually goes up under the printer also. Y chip gets just warm the reas are cool. The Steppers all stay cool to touch. The Y is the one that has blown 2 chips. Voltages are are fine. The Y is the more powerful of the steppers.
    http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll30 ... G_0001.jpg

14. rjarois

cool frank....looks like your all set man....if you still have trobs, you can gat more robust heat-sinks to draw the heat away...but with the high temp chips you problems should be gone, randy.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

@Mark - When you get a chance, you really ought to fix this photo, because the arrow doesn't point to the corner of the chip and socket that actually have the "angle".

16. rjarois

Dennis, the photo is rite...he was pointing to the angle along the entire edge for me. he knew the little corner angle would be something the old monkey could not even see, lols...

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Eh? I've had my chips out and back in and never noticed a chamfer along the entire edge - but I sure noticed that lower-right corner where the chamfer of the chip matches the chamfer of the socket. Well, they tried to make the orientation marks doubly fool-proof, didn't they? It worked! :eek:

18. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

That's what I'm hoping for ;) Royal oak huh. I have to run around there on my daily route. Lately through Romulus off Middlebelt road though.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Hey frankrcfc, you got some of those chips back in February, right? Just how many of those poor little innocent chips (violins playing gently in the background) have you fried? :?:

20. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

argh...can't believe I am admitting this....I'm on my 4th one actually. I did a no no on one of them and did just what was explained earlier I put the chip in wrong. It slid right into place but what a nasty little bit of fireworks I had for a brief moment :roll: But this was happening when I was trying to get the default steppers to perform. Then I got the stronger motors and pushed them a bit and the chip got hot while trying to get more speed.

21. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Well Frank, at least you're frying the chips instead of the motors, they are a lot cheaper. :lol:

22. Crash

Crash Moderator Staff Member

23. frankrcfc

frankrcfc New Member

24. Crash

Crash Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the info. I'm actually looking at that board for a future project, but haven't found anyone that's used it yet. I may give ol' Brian a shout later to find out if he's tested it out yet.