1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

SANDBOX - Please post your PhlatscripT bugs

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Bugs' started by kram242, Jan 17, 2009.

1. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

OK, now that you've mentioned it I played around with it a bit and it is a problem.

Sometimes, when you generate the g-code you get a 0° arc if the bit diameter is the same for the bone and for the outside cut. To get around it you make the bone diameter 0.01 bigger. With the bone tool now you can't do it anymore. swarfer had integrated the bone tool with SketchUcam and made the bone tool pick up the tool diameter from SketchUcam and now you can't make the changes any more.

You are still right though, Kenn, that it is a bug that the bone tool diameter is in millimeter only and doesn't change when you specify inches, which results in a big circle as you show in your example.

2. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

This is what it is supposed to do, ie grab the current tool diameter from sketchucam settings, add a little bit(1), and display it. if you use the exact tool diameter, inside cut offsets will probably generate some very weird lines, so you have to add a little to the bit so the offsets work properly. In particular the pocket tool will struggle if the bone size is not bigger than the bit size. I plan to recode the pocket tool to use the inside cut offset algorithm which appears to work better, but right now I don't have time for that.

if you change the tool diameter you will see that in the phlatbone setting dialog, but you won't see it in drawn bones unless you first visit the dialog.

it is supposed to detect the metric/inch mode in use and display appropriately, if you change the units then you must change the numbers to match, the dialog cannot do that level of computation.

(1) the 'little bit' was determined by trying various sizes in tiny increments until one was found that worked most of the time for common bit sizes. There are still bit sizes that need a little more bone size increase to enable the offset generator to work properly, in particular the pockettool will struggle if the increment is too small, insidecut will probably work even for exact bit diameter.

3. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

yes you can make changes. each time you open the settings dialog it grabs the current bit diameter (in case you changed the bit diameter), but if you change it in the dialog and 'ok' , that is what it will draw with. try it and see.

mm/inch. having trouble testing this since my Sketchup sensibly defaults to mm (-: however, it doesn't detect that the units got changed, which may be a bug to some people who change units often. why would you do that?
    I have an inch system Myford lathe and a metric vernier caliper so I am very adept at both systems, and when using the lathe I convert back and forth with a calculator all the time. When doing a drawing I use mm and cannot think of a reason to switch to inch for some part of it and switch back to mm.

4. Kenn Oldfield

Kenn Oldfield New Member

I don't switch back and forth between units very much at all. I am old enough that I grew up with inches and fractionals, and am very adept at thinking in 1/8ths and 1/16ths. Also, being in Canada, most of the material I work with is in inches, despite the fact that we have been metric for over 40 yrs. Believe it or not, 48/16ths (3 inches) are easier to work with than 75 mm. 48 divides into half, thirds, quarters, sixths, eighths, 16ths, and 24ths. 75 divides into thirds, fifths, and 25ths, none of which are particularly useful. Also, my bits are 1/8th inch mostly, so it helps with planning the cuts.

But then when working with my machine, its parts are metric, so if I am building a new tool, I work in mm, and do the math.

All in all, the Boning issue is only minor for me, and does not take away at all from how good and useful SketchUCam is. Thanks guys, for your great work.

5. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Let me start by saying that I use both, metric and inches, in my SketchUp drawings depending on my needs in that moment. If I have to make the safe area it's easier to make it 30" x 20", dollar tree board, than to make it in metric. If I measure a diameter of something, and then draw it, I'll measure it in mm.

I have a ruby plugin that converts my drawing, with a click of a button, from metric to inches and vice versa. If the drawing is in metric and I open the SketchUcam parameter box, everything is in metric. If the drawing is in inches and I open the parameter box, everything is in inches. Can the bone tool parameter box made to react the same way? It's not a big deal if it doesn't. The few times I used the bone tool I didn't even noticed the problem since it defaulted to the correct bit diameter and worked fine, after you integrated it.

EDIT: I was typing while you posted, Kenn. :) Actually, 3" are 76.2mm and can be halved, quartet and so on. :D I don't like to use inches on my digital caliper. The results in thous are, to me, meaningless. 36.5mm mean more to me. :)

6. Kenn Oldfield

Kenn Oldfield New Member

Yoram, you are right of course. On the computer, whole fractions really do not matter. My dad taught me on a tape measure, carpenter square and tri-square. Old habits for this old dog. My caliper is also in mm.