1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Size of the electronics box

Discussion in 'GENERAL Phlatprinter MKII Talk' started by Gefahren, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

Can someone give me the dimensions of the electronics box on the back of the MKII? Also, what voltage is the included fan, I think I read 24V but can't find that now. And how deep is the little shelf that's underneath the electronics box, the one on the bottom half of the MKII? Thanks, I'm trying to make sure the Opto-Breakout board I'm laying out will fit, it's kinda hard from the build pictures to estimate its size.

2. iflyos

iflyos Member

Fan is 24 volts, the box is 7x6x4"deep

The bottom shelf is 4 1/8th" wide at the widest point, and is 3 3/8ths where it narrows down in the center!

HTH!

Tim
    AG4RZ

3. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

Thanks, that does help. The Opto-Breakoutboard I'm doing also has 3 gecko drives on it (G250's). I've only done a rough layout so far in a 4.5 x 6 inch space, but I know I can make it smaller if needed, the only thing really driving the space after the gecko's is the screw terminals for the extra outputs and I can double them up. Just gotta make sure I have enough room for the Smoothstepper too.

4. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Gefahren, This sounds like a cool project in the making! :)
    What are you up to Gefahren? :D Are you going to add geckos to the MKII!!!!
    It would be a first!! :mrgreen:
    Mark

5. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

really? I thought someone else would have used them by now. Yes, I've already bought 3 G250's, a smoothstepper, and some 180 oz-in Keling steppers. I also alread got all the limit switches, e-stop, relays, power switches, ect... and already had a 800W 24V vicor power supply laying around. Thanks to the sales rep of one of the distributors we use at work, I got almost all of the electronics and stuff I need to make the breakout board as a sample. I'm almost done laying it out. I have to do it after work since I'm using all the software we have up there. But the breakout board will have the three G250's plugged directly into it and have all the inputs/outputs from port 1 of the smoothstepper opto-isolated. I also got some relays that I can drive with it to turn the power on and off to the Rotozip so that Mach3 can start/stop the spindle.

I would have just gotten a G540 but I didn't really want to pay for a 4 axis setup if I only needed 3. Of course I'm not really saving much money when it's all said and done, and I would have bought a G530 3-axis for about $250 if they existed, but they don't. Hmm, maybe I'll go suggest that on his forums.

BTW, these are the smaller Gecko's, only 3.5A, not the bigger 7A+ ones.