1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

SketchUcam Download

Discussion in 'SketchUcam DOWNLOAD' started by kram242, Jun 24, 2013.

1. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Sorry, I couldn't remember at the time I posted it, lol. Glad you found it.

2. ewo

ewo Moderator Staff Member

I like that ........... Very Nice ability being able to swap directions !
    :good:

3. swarfer

swarfer Moderator Staff Member

not only in the help, but also in the status line at the bottom of the screen.
    you can also set the default via the Options menu.

4. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Yes, swarfer, you did excellent on the SketchUcam. It's now a great tool. If you ever get the 3d to work perfect you'll hit the ball out of the park!

swarfer likes this.
  5. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Awesome job on the new version David! :doubleup: Thank you

swarfer likes this.
  6. swarfer

How to Install or Upgrade SketchUcam, a short video..

7. swarfer

What is new in SketchUcam V1.3

8. swarfer

9. 3DMON

Great job on 1.3 David! Thank you for all your work.

10. swarfer

SketchUcam 1.3a now available
    http://www.phlatforum.com/xenforo/threads/sketchucam-download.3128/
    • Bugfix: concave arcs on the edge of rectangle were not cut in the correct direction, causing scalloped edges.
    • Pocket zigzags now use fuzzy stepover. A new stepover is calculated from the given stepover such that the zigzag always starts and ends at the given offset from the edges. This prevents leaving large gaps at the end of the zigzag which might break a tool in hard materials. Note that complicated shapes can still leave oversize (larger than stepover) nubs that will be removed by the final outline pass. To mitigate this effect, use small stepovers in hard materials.
    • Pocket zigzag offset (the gap between the edge of the face and the edges of the zigzag) is now related to stepover instead of being a fixed 10%. This means that for large stepovers the cut takes less time, and for small stepovers the final outline cut is <=50% of the stepover value. Read here for details
    • Pocket tool now uses the same offset routine as the inside and outside cut tools making it much less prone to folded corners and other artifacts.
    • G-code Joiner will not output any comments if Use Comments is false. However, it will not remove comments already in the files being joined.
    • G-code Joiner now has an icon on the toolbar.
    • New 'Quick Tools' toolbar that allows you to quickly toggle the status of the 'Use Comments' and 'Comment Style' options. Using these will NOT affect the default settings set via the Tools|Phlatboyz|Options|Machine Options menu. Activate this toolbar by ticking the View|Toolbars|SketchUcam Quick Tools item. NOTE that these icons have no visible effect until you output Gcode, though you will see the current status of the setting when you hover over the icon (except in SK7).
    • Bug fixes that prevented Gcode generation in Sketchup v7.
    • All Gcodes and axis letters are uppercased in accordance with the RS-274-D standard.
    • Tools|Phlatboyz|Options|Feature Options 'Force all Gcodes on for Marlin' will force the output of a Gcode on every line instead of the normal optimized output.
    With thanks to the beta testers who may have struggled a bit with my 'here try this new version' rate (-:

3DMON and TigerPilot like this.
  11. 3DMON

Great job on all the new features swarfer!
    As always, I was happy to help with the testing.

12. swarfer

Two extra things in 1.3a that I forgot to mention.....

1- way back in history significant changes were made to how cutlines were stored in Sketchup, such that a drawing generated by Phlatscript 0.917
    had to be updated before it could be processed into Gcode by 0.918. The update routine has to process every line segment in the drawing, taking a long time for drawings with a lot of line segments.

A lot of time and versions have passed since that update was required, so we have removed it from the Gcode generator.
    This means that large drawing will process quickly, but it also means that if you have an ancient drawing that used 0.917, you will have to remove and replace all cut lines before generating Gcode.

2 - if you have a large drawing where a *lot of stuff* is outside the safe area, Gcode generation can still take a minute or two.
    To speed it up, SELECT the stuff inside the safe area so that the generator can ignore everything else and it will be much faster.

you can also use this to generate Gcode for a specific part of the drawing by only selecting the cut lines that you need.

However, if you carelessly leave something selected like a face, and then generate Gcode, you will get an empty file.
    The solution is to unselect all (CTRL-T) and then re-generate the Gcode.

13. TigerPilot

I'll have to try this. That will be a great time saver.

The only problem with all this testing is that every time a new version comes I have to go deep into the directory tree to change the g-code plotter address. :(

14. swarfer

not hard to get there for Sketchup after v8, use the 'Tools|phlatboyz|Display profiles folder' menu item and it will take you right there, the plugins folder will be in a folder under Sketchup2014 or Sketchup2015.

what about setting the gplot.rb to read only so it does not get overwritten? I suppose that might interfere with the install though.

what plotter do you use?

15. TigerPilot

I use NCPlot 1.2, I think that's what it's called. I think it's the same that you use, if I read correctly somewhere. :)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  16. swarfer

yes, I have NCPlot 1.2 here but seldom use it since it does not scroll around nicely. I use gplot for initial checks, then also load the code into Planet-CNC and OpenSCAM so I can step through it line by line and see what it is doing in detail. The Planet-CNC program does a nice job of parsing the gcode as well, detecting errors, whereas OpenSCAM is accepting of all errors and will happily try to plot whatever it gets, resulting in some 'interesting' output.

17. TigerPilot

I used to use gplot too and was very happy with it but I'm now on Windows 10 and for some reason gplot doesn't work in Windows 10 (on my computer anyway). That's why I had to look for another option. I don't very much like NCPlot but most other programs take a long while to start and then another while to load the file, especially if it is a big one.

18. forkee

forkee New Member

Thank you

swarfer likes this.
  19. swarfer

Yoram I was experimenting with this on Saturday. I could not get the Planet-cnc program to load from within Sketchup, though when started from an icon with a gcode file as parameter it opens the file without a problem. Weird, and will fiddle more when time allows.
    This does a nice job of displaying the file, and you can step through the code and see exactly what it is doing, very handy if you want to find a place to edit it (-:

TigerPilot likes this.
  20. snooperace

snooperace New Member

at the risk of hi-jacking this thread so please move it if needed. I am a newby so please advise if possible. I am using sketchup 2015 with sketchucam v1.3a. the issue I am having is that clicking on the "?" does not launch any help file and if I draw a 3d object of any sort and use phlatten selected edges I get this. is this something I am doing or has sketchucam not installed correctly. My operating system is windows 7 64.

upload_2015-8-19_9-27-20.png

21. 3DMON

The help file opens in a web browser page. What is your default web browser?
    As far as the phlatten tool. Make sure you have the whole box selected before hitting the phlatten tool. It will only phlatten what is selected.

22. snooperace

snooperace New Member

I am using google chrome as my default browser and with regards to the selection I have tried to use the drag a box around the object to select it as well as triple clicked it but it still has the same issue.

23. swarfer

The help is not opening because your system does not know about a default browser.
    The help files are in
    C:\Users\YOURNAMEHERE\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp 2015\SketchUp\Plugins\Phlatboyz\html\help.html
    You can just create a shortcut to that file and help will always be just a double click away (-:
    (If you have programming experience we can talk about some other options)

Please watch this video about drawing for SketchUcam.... this will set you on the right course...

24. swarfer

also watch this one (-:

25. snooperace

snooperace New Member

@swarfer in your second video link you are using phlatten selected edges at minute 2.19 That is what I am having a problem with it does not work on my install and when running "phlatten selected edges" I do not get a 2d drawing