1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Sketchup to DXF plugin! 3D or 2D :)

Discussion in 'Other Sketchup related softwares/plugins' started by kram242, Mar 12, 2009.

1. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

This is a plugin script for Google's free 3D design program Sketchup. The free version of Sketchup has limited file export options. Most CAM programs will not recognise the native Sketchup (SKP) file format. This plugin allows you to export your Sketchup model as a DXF/STL triangular mesh or as DXF lines, which should be readable by most CAM software.

To use the plugin, download the file below (sketchup_to_dxf_stl.rb) to the Sketchup plugins folder on your computer. If you have installed Sketchup on the C: drive then this folder will be at C:program filesgooglegoogle sketchup 7plugins. After copying this file, start Sketchup and you should now have extra menu options in the Sketchup Tools menu.

There are four export options:

* DXF triangular mesh
    * DXF lines.
    This option exports the outline of your model. Some 2D or 2.5D CAD/CAM programs will not import DXF meshes (like the free version of CamBam), so you can use this option. I found that some programs ignore the Z-value of the lines - so you end up with a plan view of your model. To get around this you could rotate it before you export it (I may build this option into the script if it is useful)
    * DXF polylines:
    exports the outlines of each face as a polyline, useful for CAM toolpaths.
    * STL triangular mesh

Link to author's site http://www.guitar-list.com/download-sof ... dxf-or-stl

I have not tested it out yet but give it a try it may become very useful for us in the future for the Phlatscript able to produce 3D code :D
    Mark Attached files sketchup_to_dxf_stl.rb (10.4 KB)Â

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I've played around with this plugin before and it works pretty good. Nice work around so you don't need Sketchup pro.

3. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

Thank you Mark, can't believe I missed this thread.

4. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

You welcome guys hope it helps out :)
    Mark

5. tvcasualty

tvcasualty New Member

Wow, I need another day off to play with this!