1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Stencils

Discussion in ''Aircraft KITS' you are working on' started by rcav8r, Dec 1, 2010.

1. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

OK, technically not a kit, but I wasn't sure what forum to put this in. Please feel free to move

Right as I was in the middle of selling my MK1.5 a buddy asked me if I could cut stencils for his company. I made a real quick cut out of FFF, and he and the boss really liked.
    Well I got my PP3 running and cut the stencil out of SeeTemp. I wasn't sure how it would work, but I was REALLY PLEASANTLY surprised at how well it turned out. I made a small and large size. The pic is of the large size. I did have to back up the SeeTemp with a sheet of foam as the bit would just push the material down with out it. I used the 1/16" bit from the bit kit Mark and Trish sell, and cut at 35IPM. The cuts were baby butt smooth. I did add some small tabbing. I want to try some spray mount to mount the SeeTemp to the foam and do away with the tabs for an even smoother edges on the stencil.

Now the big question... how much should I charge for these? I used about 1/8th of a sheet of SeeTemp for both the small and large stencil, and took about 4 minutes to cut both. It's $6.50 a sheet + shipping, and I have 2+ full sheets on hand from the old days when I built planes before the PhlatPrinter. As for the foam backing board, I can get 2 uses out of one as the cut does not go all the way through.
    Not that I want to gouge them, but they are a company and not an individual, so I can see charging more. They got a quote of $200 for the large size laser cut from copper. They are estimating they will need at least one a month due to wear and tear on the stencil. As an added bonus paint can easily be peeled from the SeeTemp where it can not from the copper sheet.

THANKS in advance
    Dave Attached files [​IMG]

2. navionflyer

navionflyer New Member

I would put a price on the Phlatprinter time, say $40/hour.

Mark up the material 100%. Make sure your material charge is for replacement cost and not what you paid a few years ago.

Figure out how much time you have into handling to cut out the stencil.

Putting a price on your development time is a little tougher. At work we estimate how many we can sell and divide the development cost by the anticipated number to be sold. If you are pretty sure they'll buy more than 10 just divide your development time by 10.

Add in actual shipping and packaging costs.

Hopefully it adds up to less than $200.

And there you go.

Tim

3. rcav8r

Thanks Tim for the explanation... I think I'll just say $20 a stencil as that will still be more than time and materials. My buddy's in the middle of trying to close on a house, so the few times I had set up to meet with him to show him the stencils haven't worked out. Hopefully this week.

Anyway I cut some out for myself too. I REALLY need so more practice in painting. I'm like Charlie Brown with an airbrush :D I don't think practice will help with my artistic ability ( more like lack of) thought

Here is a wing I did for an old Fancy Foam Edge I had laying around. I had the original one for about 3 or 4 years before the foam just got too weak and wore out. So far THE BEST profile I have ever flow. Lack of artistic and design flair very evident :) Stencils used shown above wing.

If you want to cut stencils, SeeTemp (http://www.seetemp.com) works GREAT in the PP. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

I'm only just finding this post, but I have to say, the stencils you've made look like they've turned out great. I'd like to try this see-temp material soon.

I didn't see that you put the stencils on a spoiler board for cutting, I'd assume you used something right? Biggest problem that I've had was the spoiler material (FFF) getting melted to the plastic. Was this a problem for you?

Thanks!

5. rcav8r

Hay Toast... I did use a spoiler board. Just some scrap FFF. I did a light mist coat of Elmer's spay adhesive ( like 3M77, only about 1/5 the cost). I set the cut depth for 1/16th (material is .01) and didn't use any tabs. I believe I cut at 100ipm with the 1/16th" bit in the bit kit Trish and Mark sell.
    I recently tried to cut out some flames, but the pointy tips of the flames caused an issue; on the way back from the tip of the tip, the bit would cause the SeeTemp to fold over the bit. I think I'll try again by putting a tab at the VERY tip so the bit has to start a new path on it's way back down the flame.

6. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

Thanks for the info! Did you get the material at a local supplier or did you have to order it?

I'm thinking I could try a few stencils for my foamies. Nothing super hot, just some stuff with details that I probably would just get frustrated with a blade.

Wondering how these 1/32 bits I picked up a while back would be on the material. Perhaps that would get the sharp lines? They work great on 3mm foam and wood but are brittle as heck.

Again, thanks for the info!

7. rcav8r

I got mine at Toledo. While there the guy said it was getting hard to get. The red was harder to get. I took 5 rolls of the clear as i really don't need the red. Not sure why it's hard to get as I'm sure what it is sold for (making templates when cutting parts out with the old fashion Xacto/saw) is not it's intended use.
    You can get on line at seetemp.com

Cut lines are really nice and sharp, it's just when the bit has to travel back, almost along the same path is where it fails to make the cut. Kinda hard to explain, but the stuff just folds over the bit. Maybe the 1/32" bit may help that.