1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Stepper Motor

Discussion in 'MOTORS - Stepper Motors' started by Navop, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Navop

Navop New Member

Ok been reading that everyone changes thier stepper motor for axis Y-Z for bigger.

My question is should I be looking at the holding Torque Oz-in,and in what mode (bipolar), parallel, (bipolar) series or unipolar.

New at this, sorry for all question.

These are the following I'm looking at

http://www.motiontek.ca/StepperMotor.html

The nema 23 series, but not sure which one would be a good one to use for the Y and Z Axis.

Thanks for all info
    Navop

2. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Some people have used more than 200 oz/in and some have used more. What it really comes down to is what is the best deal you could find for a stepper. The company in the link above is very expensive. There is a link here, in the stepper portion, for a $13 166oz/in stepper. People reported good results with it. Do yourself a favor and get it from there and hook it up in bipolar mode. I think there was no option on these one for parallel or series but I don't remember.

3. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

4. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

I don't think everyone is changing their steppers. Some have. On the other hand, you can probably get even better improvements, just by changing over to acme threaded rod instead of the 1/4" allthread.

As far as bipolar or unipolar, that depends on your controller card. If you are using the easy-cnc mechatronics card, then it's bipolar. Bipolar means the electronics can reverse the current direction, so you only need 4 wires for the motor. If you are using a unipolar controller, then you need a motor with at least 6 wires. That's because they only use half of the coil at a time, hence the much lower torque when wired this way. I don't know about parallel/serial, but you can probably find out easily by googling it

-Kwok