1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Strongest Foam Span Bridge Contest

Discussion in '* Contests * Win Cool Stuff!' started by theothers, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

Well, if anyone remembers this bridge contest, it was about a year ago and by coincidence I've got my MKIII tuned up finaly and decided to cut out that "Improved" bridge I did.
    Here's some results.

By the way, I wieghed my bridge with the piece of plywood and hook in it beforehand and it came out to all of ~5oz/0.13Kg.

The final wieght it held was 27lbs 15oz. After I took the picture of it holding that I was putting the camera back on the shelf before adding more sand and I heard the bridge start creaking. So I watched it and listened for a minute or so before it snapped. If I'd had someone else taking pictures then I'm sure I could have broken 29lbs before it gave up, maybe even 30lbs. I guess that's the difference between maximum load and constant load. I'll go to work later today to wiegh everything on there calibrated scales to make it more official, I've never used that fish scale before.

Now, I think I could still make it stronger, but I have a different challenge in mind now. How big can I make an aeroplane using nothing but FFF and glue? Plywood could only be used for hardpoints, not any structural stuff, and no tape to reinforce things. What do you all think? I've already started designing a 10ft wingspan and then I'll see where it goes from there. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Impressive! :eek:

3. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

Looks like my fish scale is pretty accurate, I checked on the calibrated scales at work and it wieghed in at 27lbs 14.56oz.

4. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

Gefahren, that's an impressive improvement. The fish scale is a great idea! This contest was a lot of fun. We need to do something like this again!

Mark and Trish

5. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Man that was such a fun contest, we may have to do that one again! :D
    Thanks for posting this :good: Make sure you keep your new design a secret for now ;)
    I would love to see a 'How big can you build it airplane challenge" that would be sweet!
    Well done!
    Mark and Trish

6. Gefahren

Gefahren Member

After carfully examining that bridge I figure it was a glue joint that failed first. I think I have enough room on the sheet of foam to give a larger joint for the glue and I'm gonna build another one using CA instead of Hot glue. Then we'll see how strong it is.

7. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Spoken like a true engineer! :good:
    Looking forward to your results Gefahren
    Mark and Trish