1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for Cutting 2mm Carbon Sheet?

Discussion in 'General Phlatprinter 3 Chat' started by dugd1013, Jun 13, 2011.

1. dugd1013

dugd1013 Member

I am getting ready to cut a few projects in 2mm carbon sheet. Has anyone tried this material on the Phlatprinter 3 yet? I'm interested on what might be a ball park feed rate and what kind of bit might work the best in this material to get a nice clean edge. I'm planning to do these cuts without tabs as the edge finish is pretty important. I'm willing to buy the correct bit for this application if anyone has experience or ideas for this project. I do have a pair of bore holes in the parts that are the perfect finish size using the 1/8" tile cut bit. Those bore holes are critical to the finished parts fit.

My prototype pieces were worked up with a 1/8" tile cut bit on 1/8" plywood cutting at 20 ipm using a .250 mutipass. I was pretty happy with those cuts. Hopefully, the carbon pieces will come out as well.

:questions:

2. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

I can't comment on cutting the carbon, but are you planning on using a sacrificial backer board for tabless cutting? I do this when cutting see-temp when making paint stencils. A VERY light mist coat of Elmer's Spray mount (or any spray glues I guess) works great to prevent the pieces from shifting while being cut.
    If not using a backer board, are you planning anything special for the tabbless cuts?

Also not sure about the hazards of the carbon dust, but I hear it's nasty. Do you plan on doing anything special for dust handling?

3. dugd1013

dugd1013 Member

I am planning to use a 1/8" plywood backer and some spray adhesive. I have both the low adhesion loctite spray and the 3M 77 high adhesion spray. One of two should work well enough.

On my prototype pieces I was running a 12 x 16 piece of 1/8" ply through the machine without any other aides. No problems at all, the new drive rollers and tape configuation worked very well.

Nothing special planned for the tabless cutting. I had placed small, thin tabs in the prototype but, they didn't hold and the cut outs either dropped through or held in place without issue. I don't see that being a problem.

I have a converted dust devil home vac attached to my machine. I don't know if the carbon dust will escape the filtration system or not. With the phlatboyz dust shoe and the vacs hepafilter I was thinking I would be OK for a few cuts and go from there. I'll be keeping this in mind for sure.

4. dkirtley

dkirtley New Member

2mm carbon sheet should be minimal resistance with a sharp carbide cutter. You might get a cleaner edge with a spiral bit. I doubt that you will see much difference from cutting wood or thin lexan. Just don't let the cutter sit in one place to generate enough heat to melt the epoxy. I also would not worry too much about the dust beyond regular dust precautions as it is in an epoxy matrix. It should not be nearly as troublesome as working with the raw tow.

5. dugd1013

dugd1013 Member

Thanks for the information. Six sheets of 2mm carbon sheet arriving next week. Looks like all I need is a new bit and the electricity to stay on between those ever present thunderstorms!

6. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I would use a fishtail type point instead of the ball nose like what is on the stock bit. Also I would go with a smaller bit like a 1/16". My main thing is to be aware of the dangers of carbon fiber dust. That stuff is nasty.

So where did you get your carbon sheets?

7. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

i would use a 1/16dia. tool from this link....http://www.precisebits.com/products/car ... router.asp
    also i would use a 10ipm feed rate, with tool rpm figured for a .001 feed per tooth. one cut with no multi-pass. that fiber is awefull costly to mess up. randy.

8. dugd1013

dugd1013 Member

Thanks Randy!