1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Tab width: not always .25

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Help' started by Stelio, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Stelio

Stelio New Member

Anyone else notice that the tabs don't always come out at .25" even if that is specified in the ps parameters screen. It is more noticeable on curved parts.

It seems that the script is coded to apply to one line segment and if it is less than .25" it does not know to add adjacent segments to total .25". Just an observation and something to pass on to the programmer for future refinements.

hint: if the tab tool does not want to apply a tab in an area you want, then zoom in until it finally does. The segment it selects will be short so click to adjacent segments to get a useable length.

Stelio Attached files [​IMG]

2. Crash

Crash Moderator Staff Member

Hey! I noticed that, too! lol

Actually, I figured out what was actually going on when I upgraded to SU 7. For some reason (that I have yet to figure out), my defaults within 7 allow for me to see the "bold ends" of the line segments. When trying to put a tab in a curved line, I was able to see that the tab is less than 0.25" if the line segment is less than 0.25" in length. I actually don't mind this treatment in the PhlatScripT now that I know what's going on. I prefer shorter tab lengths on curved surfaces anyway. I just add extra ones if I think I need them.

I look at this situation as a hidden feature. :cool:

Good catch, Stelio!

3. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

I've noticed it also and have yet to find a simple work around What I've had to do is create a straight line segment the tab width plus the bit diameter in order for a proper size tab to appear on the sheet. I noticed this right off when doing 1/16 ply and a 1/32 bit, (not a pp).

BTW its on the things to fix on my dinos,,, someday :oops: If any one has already fixed a code, PM me and we'll get it straight for everyone.

Another note: a curved tab would be nice in places. ;)

4. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

No biggie to me. I just tab the line right next to it like Stelio suggeted and it works fine.
    This is something to keep an eye on though, because if not sometimes the tab can end up being too small and get cut right out from itself.
    Another way around this is to change how many sides are in the arc or circle (this is done as soon as you select the tool). The downfall is the smoothness of the curves will diminish.

5. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

I'll have to give it another shot because I couldn't put two taps together and make a long tab when I ran a few tests doing dinos.