1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

TAS Foamies hovercraft! Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Airboats' started by TAS Foamies, Mar 23, 2012.

1. TAS Foamies

TAS Foamies New Member

Thinking of distributing a TAS Foamies hovercraft, thoughts? Size reccomendations? What would you like to see in one? Thanks in advance!

2. symekutz

symekutz New Member

I love to see a hovercraft...

I'd be looking for one about 1.5 - 2 ft long with separate lift and trust motors. It would be nice if you could shut it down and it floated...

Cheers!

3. TAS Foamies

TAS Foamies New Member

sweet! I am hoping to have a few different sizes, but I mainly want to design a sporty hovercraft. In my opinion, The one that will work the best will have the farward thrust in front, lift in dead center, and steering fin rear. It should be way easier to control this way. Ive tried everything else and nothing works as well as this! Ill be working on a few designs!
    My first design will be in the 1ft range built out of 3mm depron! Looking for a good skirt material, reccomendations?

4. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Looking forward to this project Tomas
    I like the look of these bad boyz!
    [​IMG]
    I started to make a few designs of these a while back . I will post the files.
    I also have to say CG matters a lot with these craft especially if you are using one shared motor that pumps up the skirt as well as propels the craft forward. I like the fingered skirt design but they are hard to make

Here is a link to an attempt at a flying hovercraft the hoverhopper that may help
    viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1563&start=0&hilit=hover+craft
    Hope this can be a help Attached files HC.skp (227.7 KB)Â [​IMG] HoverCraft 3B.skp (63.2 KB)Â [​IMG]

5. Helno

Helno Member

I made one that had a shared lift and thrust motor. Didn't work out all that well.

The next one I design will separate the fucntions. That way you can adjust the lift for the conditions and not have big changes in control based on speed.

6. rescue911

rescue911 Active Member

This is going to be fun.

7. foamlvr

foamlvr Member

Just a thought, I have wondered about the skirt on model hovercraft many times, but never followed through. It just occured to me, why not try a bycycle inner tube? I always gave up on the Idea, because I couldn't think of a practical way to feed the lift air through the tube then under the hovercraft.

I have two Ideas on the inner tube.

1. Leave it intact, just inflate to 1 or 2 psi

2. Direct enough air into the inner tube to blow it up, and most of the air to the bottom of the hovercraft.

I've seen EPP foam used on hovercraft skirts, but if ran on anything but a very smooth surface, they would get hung up.

8. rcflyboynj

rcflyboynj Member

Make it run on a Blue Wonder motor. :)

This might be helpful too.

~ Nathan

9. TAS Foamies

TAS Foamies New Member

THAT IS NICE! Seems to be a nice and easy set up! I think i will incorporate the thrust vectoring and a gyro in my design, for something as fun as this, the cheap gyros on hobbyking should do the trick! I need to find out what kind of cooling fan that was and the rating on it, because If its a 12v fan, I cant get that much power out of it. Im going to mess around with it! Ill post some concepts I have! Oh, and the bicycle inner tube is the way to go. I need to find that material in sheets to make my own shape and sizes, a little Welders glue here and there and BAM! You have an awesome ATV skirt!!!! This is going to be fun! Maybe I can have a few at RCX to be sold in april! Looking forward to it! :doubleup:

10. foamlvr

foamlvr Member

Rubber roof membrane. Any home improvement store, has it. I Havn't used any in a long time, but I think it's heavier than bicycle inner tubes.

11. TAS Foamies

TAS Foamies New Member

should be fine! I want it to be tough! Haha its not going to fly, just be a drifter, racer, atv for fun! Ill look it up!

12. TAS Foamies

TAS Foamies New Member

So my gears are turning for this project! Im going to have various sizes, and 3 styles: cargo, race (drift) and atv!!! I want to make a platform for some parkzone electronics! I might just use poly tubing for the skirts, unless it's cargo and drift. Im looking into the rubber roof membrane!!!

13. symekutz

symekutz New Member

The ones I've made so far (rc that is) I have used 3 to 6 mil black plastic from lowes...

I can't remember what the material was on the full sized one I made was but it was like a=n inner tube with string embedded in it. On hard ground and water the skirt only touched i someone moved around in the vehicle. Grass was te thing that wore out skirts FAST...

:02cents: