1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

The Invasion is emminent. The Mother Ship is being built.

Discussion in 'Strange Aircraft' started by KX-5, Sep 13, 2009.

1. KX-5

KX-5 Member

Here are some photos of the expanding invasion fleet. The 18" and 24" support ships. And, the 45" Mother Ship currently under construction. The 45" saucer takes 7 sheets of 48" foam from RCFoam and will weigh in at about 48oz. It will use dual 2217/6 motors with 7x4 counter rotating 3 bladed props and will have steerable landing gear. The 18" takes only 1 sheet of 39" x 6mm depron. I have revised the 24" and 18" versions to be FLAT profile style saucers that do not require covering. The profile versions fly very similar to the symetrical ribbed versions. Also, the 24" is set up for rudders if desired. The profile versions are very easy to build and fly very well. The 18" with a B2208/12 (1800kv) brushless motor and an APC 7x4 prop trimmed down to fit is a rocket. I covered the 18" saucer because I like the look, but, it is not required. The 24" shows covering ironed on to the disc for visibility but is also not required.

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

This is great KX-5! The covering is where I was stalled out on this project and you have fixed that! Thank you Thank you Thank you.
    I love the looks of this aircraft. Is the 18" one I should be able to fly indoors?
    Can you post the codes please ?
    Thanks again KX-5
    Mark

3. KX-5

KX-5 Member

Mark. Your welcome. I did get the feeling early that the covering was a major problem. As it turns out, I like flying the profile version as much as the covered version. Both profiles in the pics have at least 30 flights. I'll be posting the code for the 18" and the 24" soon. I don't know if the 18" is an indoor candidate or not. I designed it with 6mm depron. The AUW is about 10oz with a 3 cell 800 lipo. With the motor I used, it's more of a racer than a floater. It's sturdy enough without the usual center spar. The indoor version may need to be made out of 3mm to loose a bit of weight?? I do hope more will be able to enjoy this model using the profile type design.

4. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

ditto... the covering looked like more than I wanted to tackle. The profile version should be an easier build.

5. KX-5

KX-5 Member

Here are the files for the profile versions of the saucers. The 18" saucer was created using PhlatScript V921. The 24" saucer was created using V918. As mentioned before, the 18" uses a single 6mm sheet, and the 24" uses two sheets. Let me know if you have any questions on construction.

Attached files FS-5.18Disc_ProfileV921.skp (1.7 MB)Â FS-5.18_Disc_ProfileV921.cnc (96.9 KB)Â KX-5.24Disc_Profile5.skp (923.5 KB)Â KX-5.24R3-R7_Profile3.cnc (57.8 KB)Â KX-5.24R3-R7_Profile3.skp (1.4 MB)Â KX-5.24_Disc_Profile5.cnc (21.6 KB)Â

6. kram242

Very cool KX-5 Thank you for sharing
    The gcode output for these are awesome! You even have parts within parts!
    Once the Phlatscripts inside cuts are ordered like the center-lines and fold lines this will be a perfect design. Super nice work
    Mark

7. KX-5

KX-5 Member

Mark, thanks for the comments. It's great fun to post the saucer. I hope to hear that someone has tried a profile version. Are you refering to an enhancement to Phlatscript relating to ordering the inside cuts?

8. kram242

:D
    Yes as for the Phlatscript I was just saying that the gcode will look much cleaner with less travel lines once the inside cuts are added to the algorithm that optimizes the cut order.
    gasmasher is working on a way to solve this and I think in the long run it will save so much cut time.
    Mark

9. Spadman82

Spadman82 New Member

those sausers are so cool! ok, the 44'' sauser falls about #1660000225 in line behined the other few trillion airplanes i want to try out in foam. i guess i should get back to work on the ones i have. :roll:

10. KX-5

KX-5 Member

Thanks Spadman82. I'm still working on the 45" version. It is going to be a very expensive plane for a foam version. 7 sheets of depron, dual motors/ESCs, about $30. worth of carbon fiber, a couple rolls of film covering, plus all the other items that add up. I'm betting this plane is going to cost about $300 to get into the air. It will be a sight to see in the air. :)