1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

The Micro Illusion is here

Discussion in 'Micros' started by ewo, Jun 6, 2010.

1. ewo

ewo Moderator Staff Member

Soon my friend ! Im kinda up in arms over weather to add the cutouts for the motor.
    If i add them then the suki motor and gearbox wont fit. ?

Im thinking about just letting you guys cut that area with a knife. So then it wouldnt matter :shock:

Im using the 4Site motor and gearbox and have been cutting the motor cutout by hand....

2. ewo

These files are for the full sheet 3mm depron. I will be posting files for the smaller 13" wide foam a little later.....................

I hope you find it as much fun to build and fly as i have..... I have been flying mine almost every day now .

just print the decal 's on Avery clear label sheets and you have the decals for the plane already at the right size ! Stick em on and enjoy !

Attached Files:

3. ewo

I wonder if this thread can be moved :(

4. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Nice job ewo! Thanks for sharing this cool design with us.
    Cool 4th of July present :D
    Mark and Trish

5. RC-Rerun

RC-Rerun New Member

Ewo,
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you... I know what I'll be doing tomorrow!!!
    Dell

6. ewo

Micro Illusion 1.jpg
    Huston, We have an imposter ! :)

7. kram242

They look awesome Bruce!

8. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

Twins! Looks great ewo.

9. ewo

Haha. Yes twins but one is obviously a girl ! ;) :D
    See the shiney nose ? :D

10. thatovalguy

thatovalguy New Member

Dude I'm really liking the Illusion Micro. Give me some spec's. Boy I really feel out of the loop here. :eek:

11. ewo

Hey Howard !, Its wonderfull to see you here ! :D

It uses the parts from the micro sukhoi from horizon hobbie .

It flys pretty well but it could be better if i used the guts from the micro 4-site i have !
    Just cant bring myself to kill the 4-site yet...... It flys so good

If theres anything i can do for you............. Please just let me know ! ;)

you have many friends and admirors here ! just want you to know that ! :)

12. kram242

Welcome to the Phlatforum Howard! :)
    I don't mean to break in here but just want to thank you for all that you have shared with us over on rcgroups you really helped me out when I was just getting started.
    So thank you and welcome friend
    Mark and Trish

13. thatovalguy

thatovalguy New Member

Mark, love your 51 also and thanks. Too bad I have a laser at my disposal or I might have built one of your machines a while ago.

ewo, you got me thinking in a direction here. I can feel it. But I might just have to do things a little differant, as far as gear, but the plane is perfect, you did a great job. Love the size. I have a little brushless outrunner, a few micro servo's, and the wife and kids will be gone for the next week starting Friday, I have a new airbrush to break in, so I'm thinking it just may be time to build something for myself.

14. ewo

Im glad i got you thinking!!!
    Do youself a favor and build this little guy !

I thought you mite like this little gewel . you have the time by youself and the tools you need i know.

I cant wait to see your version

I did not do a great job here my friend ! ;) You did !! :)

The Illusion is my favorite plane ever. You cant go wrong in any size

15. thatovalguy

thatovalguy New Member

what size you using for the foam? I need to dig out and blow off the dust and see what I have left.

16. ewo

Im using the 3mm depron for every thing right now , I bought a full case of full size sheets last august or september .

My next order will be next month as i think i have 12 sheets left. I need to build up my winter time stash but this time im buying the 1mm and 2mm as well as some more 3mm

17. ewo

I just ordered 2 long throw servos and a bunch of other stuff for the newest version of this plane. Soon to be released in Phlatcode ! ;)

18. thatovalguy

thatovalguy New Member

Well I built a 20 inch version, not so micro but for the gear and motor I have I figured its the right size. I think I could have gone down to maybe 16-17 inch but was afraid of being to heavy for the wing area, want a floater. Have a double wopper motor to put in it and some brandy new HES-490's. Now really wishing for a JR9503 like I have at work so I could go out and buy the 4-site gear and make a really light version like yours. But in time.

Oh, first time I cut depron out on the laser at work or a plane for that matter. Man this automated cutting is it. If I ever leave this job I know I'm going to need one of these printers.

19. Flashsolutions

Flashsolutions Active Member

I built the micro version in 3mm Depron this past week and did the maiden on it Sunday.

It is still a bit heavy, 1.5 oz with battery so I cut some holes in the fuse but only could get the weight down to 1.4 oz, still too heavy.

I think it is going to need some serious milling.

The AR6400 and 2 long throw servos and the 4site motor plus the control rods make up the bulk of the weight. The graphics probably didn't help either.

It flies very well, but too heavy to hover on the prop without some lightening up of the airframe.

Some time this week, I hope to get some free time to add some pocket milling to the fuse and wings to see if I can get the weight down some more. Might have to go to 2mm foam as another option.

I really like this design. It could become a favorite if I can make it a bit lighter.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Flash, using a smaller battery, a lighter motor or lighter servos will reduce the weight more quickly than milling a bunch of 1.3 pound-per-cubic-foot foam.
    For every cubic inch of Depron removed, you will only reduce the weight by 0.012037 ounces = 0.3412 grams. Do the math, then get lighter hardware. :geek:

21. Flashsolutions

Can't really reduce the hardware weight. Need the 160mah batteries to get the 30c discharge rate.

The motors and servos are from the 4site micro so can't do much about them either.

Only thing we have to play with is maybe leaving off some of the graphics or milling the foam.

I suppose could go with one aileron servo instead of two, but not a lot of options.

22. thatovalguy

thatovalguy New Member

Always found the second heaviest part of construction besides the gear is the glue. Glue most times is heavier than the foam used.

I was looking at weight on mine and opted to go back old school and use sharpies for this first one. Paint adds weight even when you do go thin with it.

I learned from the old timers that fly micro film planes, make and collect all your parts, weigh each pc, than figure out where you can save real weight.

Milling takes strength out of the frame so you'll need to add the strength back some how so did you really save weight? What you use to stiffen the wings will make a bigger savings. I'm going for thread in place of carbon. Thread is strong enough and weighs less than half of carbon.

23. Flashsolutions

Good point regarding the glue. I used Aileens Tacky glue on mine, but I also added some fillets (triangle stock made from 6mm Depron) which may have added some additional weight I could do away with. I suspect I could lighten up on the glue by being more careful with my construction.

I used the flames graphics on both sides of the wing. I suspect that too added a bit more weight that I can eliminate.

Like you said, I should have weighed everything before I assembled it, but I did not have all of the electronics for it until after the foam was assembled.

Even with all the extra weight I ended up with, the plane flies very well! I can sustain a short hover with it when the battery is fully charged but I know it could be better if I could loose a bit more of weight (from my body as well as the planes :lol: )

24. ewo

Here is s a couple other things to look for .

while holding the plane virtically , look across the prop with it at half throttle
    If the blades arent tracking straight you will see 2 prop arcs . If they are out even just a bit it robs you of power. Any small chips or cracks can throw the little prop out of ballance. also robbing you of power. Chips and cracks cannot be fixed without replacing the prop but one that just isnt tracking straight can !
    Also an occasional drop of very light machine oil on the shaft bushings can help.
    these little motors loose a little power i hear with every run so it pays to keep a couple on hand.

I use gorilla glue a drop here and a drop there to build. and i also use UHU Creative very sparingly..... My planes after some tweeking have all been abel to sustain a hover even with the 130 mah batterys that come with the Sukhoi.

Horizen hobbie says these little batteries wont work with the 4-site motor. But i know for a fact they do ! They just dont fly as long as the 150 !

25. thatovalguy

thatovalguy New Member

Well, it goes like this. Built the plane, 20in version, and finally got to fly her for a brief time on Saturday till the motor/esc burnt up. We have had issue's with the double wopper lately like this. So now I'm going to have to buy a new motor just haven't figured which one yet.