1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Tool Storage

Discussion in 'Sketchup Gallery' started by SilverFox, Dec 20, 2011.

1. SilverFox

SilverFox Member

I've always had organization problems, but ever since I started scratch building and using my PP 3 it has gotten worse. I needed a better way to use and store all of my power tools. I saw this system in the October 2007 issue of Wood Magazine. I decided to make some changes to it and now the building has begun.

The universal bench is 4' x 2' 3" and it is 34" high. The left and right sides are made out of Pegboard to store all of the tool related stuff, like sand paper, adjustment wrench, bits, etc. The storage underneath is huge, it's ~21ft^3. It is almost complete, all I need to do is make the cutout on top for the tool base. I'll be adding power outlets, switches, and attachment points for various add ons.

The Tool rack has not been modeled yet, but it will be very similar to the original one picture below. Both units are on wheels for easy movement.

With all of the tools in their proper place, I'll be able to use my hobby table for assembly instead of the dinning room table. :D

Once I get everything worked out, I'll post the sketchup file.

Let me know what you think. Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

I remember seeing this in the magazine, and I think I only ever saw one issue.

Looks neat... looking forward to the progress.

I gave up on trying to be neat ;)

3. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I've seen something similar a long time ago and thought one day I'd do one too. I'm sure I would still clutter my shop up though. :)

You design looks good. Waiting to see it finished...

4. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

It seems like the dinning table is the universal assembly table worldwide, we do the same thing here :D
    This is the a great idea SliverFox and the build is along nicely.
    I think the main thing about this concept is you have to be disciplined enough to keep the bench clean and not allow it to become a catchall, so that when you want to use it for the tools you can grab them and go. I find myself trying to do that around here and it can be tough at times.
    Mark and Trish

5. thunder hawk

thunder hawk Member

G.H. Boyd Systems, P.O. Box 235 Griffith, IN 46319
    I think this a great way to get the most out of your work space. :doubleup:

6. SilverFox

SilverFox Member

I think my problem has been that most of my tools do not have their own place. So, over time everything just starts to pile up everywhere. Hopefully this will be the start of some organization. I have other storage plans, but I have to take one step at a time.

Before I started building planes, I used to do a lot of woodworking. I have not built anything significant lately, so I'm hoping this will help kick things off.

7. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

I am in the same boat. :)
    I will need more space soon.
    Mark and Trish