1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

ToxicToast projects

Discussion in '* Scratch Built Section *' started by ToxicToast, Feb 27, 2010.

1. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

Haha! <big smiles> I can see a lot of repairs in my future if I keep flying like that.

I learned the hard way that 2.4 just doesnt work well with video lower than the 5.8 stuff. Even my JR9503 with a R291 DSMX + satellite rx was going into failsafe a little too often when only about 1200' with clean LOS.

I now have a UHF transmitter modded to my old DX6 radio, and although I don't plan to go long ranges, I really can't wait to legally use it for a much more robust link. I need to be a licensed HAM to legally use it, however. Besides, reading through the question pool I am pretty sure I can pass the test easily. Its interesting reading, though!

2. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

It's not hard to get a General ticket nowadays. It's almost to easy IMO provided the equipment you can now use and what you can do with it. All in all it's a great stepping stone to a valuable hobby/service that may save the world someday.

Back in the day, which for me was only 13 years ago it took four tests to go for a full ticket of Extra. I notice only 4 per month were coming out of my area so I planned my testing date to get a certain call I really liked because it's math related. Four months and many dots and dashes later I got the one I wanted :dance3: The moment I left the testing place I'd already forgot that Morse Code :oops: So much for be captured and blinking my location out on the ransom video. :nervous:

It was soooo cool.
    AB7XY

3. ToxicToast

I bought a Skysurfer (Bixler) about a month ago for migration to it as an FPV platform. Its a pretty nice easy star style plane. Made of EPO foam in a pusher config, these are often sold as beginner planes. I wanted to try it for FPV flight as the SlowSticks, while fun and all, are not exactly aerodynamic with all the gangling bits and they really don't like the weight of additional FPV gear.

I saw several neat custom pods designed for adding cameras and protecting gear, but one really caught my eye. Unfortunately, they guy was preparing to sell it through readymaderc.com (good vendor, btw) but it looks like that plan is in a holding pattern. So I took it on myself to design one that was similar, but satisfied my personal needs (like an on-board battery for the video, and support for a gopro optionally). After much contemplation, this is what I came up with:

I cut out a set of pieces in 3mm birch ply. I had some strange skewing and it had me scratching my head. After fiddling with the mechanicals, I couldn't figure out why I was getting misaligned pieces and cuts that should be straight coming out with diagonal angles. Then it dawned on me, the bit (1/16th chipbreaker) had a worn out tip and that was causing the bit to bite and twist a bit on the surface! I switched out to a new bit and the problem went away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My son helped me hotwire cut the canopy area of the plane. I used tongue depressors for quick and dirty guides. I also designed and cut a motor mount/ESC tray for the plane.

Pod assembly required a few bits of work with the dremel to get a good fit. I have the changes noted so that if I make another, it will go together easier.

So, I came up with an AUW of 1070g w/3000mAh 3S pack, 2212-6 motor with 6x5 APC, 30A ESC, Chainlink UHF system, 600TVL Sony SuperHAD DWDR, 800mw 1.3 vTX, homemade RHCP antenna.

I flew it LOS last night. I was by myself at the field so I didn't dare try FPV. Despite the full AUW (I understand that I could go up to 1.25 kilos on this frame), it flew like a buttery smooth plane. Handled 10-15mph winds nicely and had no lack of power to gain altitude. I flew for 3.5 minutes and use 370mAh of the pack! That works out to potentially 27 minutes of flight time. Really not too shabby as I like to fly local and low.

FYI, the CG balancer/stand is the one posted here: viewtopic.php?f=213&t=1942
    I'm going to order another in anticipation of the inevitable, however :fugly: :nervous: Attached files [​IMG] om/PhlatforumVB/converted_files/38222=14645-2012-05-11_23-50-48_593 (1024x577).jpg">[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Wow.. That's really cool. I have one of the Easy Stars, and it's a really nice controllable floater stock... I was thinking about the weight being a problem as I was reading the post, but glad to hear it wasn't an issue.

That sure is an awful lot of down thrust, or is that just an optical illusion?
    Can't wait to see some video out of this one.....

5. Evil-Tunes

Evil-Tunes Moderator Staff Member

Because of being behind the CG the down is needed.

Cheers
    E-T

6. ToxicToast

yeah, what ET said. easy star is a fair bit smaller, as well. I was surprised when I needed no trim for the test flight. Have to try it in low wind still. No ballooning on throttle changes and forgiving stall character. Good stable plane so far, I probably want to get another.

Thanks for the feedback.

7. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Nice work. I used my easy star a lot for fpv. I now have been flying the epp fpv from hobbyking. I like both planes but I still wish I had a different plane. I may end up designing my own.

Your gonna enjoy the Skysurfer for sure.

8. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

Yea, I knew that part.... it just seemed like a lot to me.... but hay what works works :D

9. ToxicToast

Thanks Tim. Should be fun.

Yeah, I'd like to have a small EPP trasher plane for FPV. One that I could just get jiggy down low and not care if I smash it into a light pole or the side of a parked semi-trailer. Perhaps a mini flying wing that can take some abuse?

10. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

I think I like where this is going! :doubleup:
    Awesome project on all sides with this one Chris Nice job!
    Mark and Trish

11. ToxicToast

Update: Flew two FPV flights for a combined 35 minutes of flight time. All I can say is....wow. this is the bombdigity! So smooth and easy, and such a floater-even at this weight. I was considering adding a gyro to the ailerons, but after flying it fpv, I can see no need to do so.

I kinda wish I'd just gone to this platform for my first FPV flights. I don't think I could ever go back to a slow stick for fpv again. Best $49.00 airframe I've ever bought!

12. Crash

Crash Moderator Staff Member

This is very timely, Chris! I just ordered a SkySurfer PnP (with the motor/ESC/servos) just for MY FPV endeavor. I do, however, suspect that with the PnP I may have to split the fuse apart as I think it may already be glued up. If it is, I will just use it for my fixed camera and by another "Kit Only" to do the FPV as you have done here.

Thanks so much for sharing!

13. ToxicToast

Thanks guys. I've tweaked the design with lessons learned and posted it to the VIP lounge for Phlat owners exclusively.

viewtopic.php?f=242&t=7319

Enjoy!

14. kram242

Thank you Chris! Being VIP has its perks! :doubleup:

15. ToxicToast

Not much by way of updates to projects or anything, but I have been enjoying the heck out the Skysurfer FPV and pod posted earlier. Some people have questioned about the weight impact on the airframe, and truth be told, it adds about 70g to the overall weight. Adding a gopro and with crash case beefs this up even more. AUW with a 3300 is around 1250g (almost 3lbs). That sounds like a ton, but the airframe handles it very nicely. Aggressive flight times are around 15 minutes, and going easy on the throttle gets me about 25 min. The vertical suffers as does the roll response, but it gets 45mph on a straight line and can crawl at a gentle 8-10mph.

I've been updating my youtube channel with raw recordings of the flights, if anyone is interested in following along. Here's one of my favorite flights that shows the envelope of the skysurfer with the pod:

I'm having a blast with this setup!

16. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Way cool, Toxic

17. ToxicToast

Thanks, Yoram.

18. kram242

Looks like your having a great time with the FPV flying Chris! Great video thanks for sharing.
    On a side note: That terrain makes me want to build a mars rover! :D
    Mark and Trish

19. ToxicToast

Speaking of mars rovers! It does look a bit like an alien landscape there and was the first time I'd flown at that spot. It is like a big playground with a little bit of everything.

Thanks for watching!

20. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Oh oh...here we go again. :D :D :D

21. kram242