1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Unable to watch Phlatformer machine videos

Discussion in 'PhlatFORMER General Chat' started by Chuck, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Chuck

Chuck New Member

I am unable to watch videos demonstrating this machine so I do not know what it does or how it does it. I read something about needing a "heat source" and a "vacuum", but don't have a clue what I am heating or vacuuming. Please post some specs which explain how this machine works and what it will do. I like the introductory price offer but from where I sit I would be buying a pig in a poke. Any information would be great and I like the concept.

Chuck
    ...somewhere in Indiana...

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Why can't you watch the videos Chuck?
    I ask because there are lots of videos here on the Forum and I believe the instructions for assembly of the PhlatFormer will be in video format, just like it is for the PP MKI and MKII. I think if we can help you with the video problem, it will solve other problems that will crop up later.
    Is it just the vids from UStream that are a problem? I can't watch them at work because they have some sort of netnanny filter that won't allow UStream vids to play - I hope yours is not the same problem. I do know you need Adobe Flash Player installed for it to work.

By the way, the "heating source" is a hot-plate or toaster oven or some means of heating the 10X10 sheets of plastic film to their forming temperature.
    The "vacuum pump" is a vacuum cleaner, shop vac or such, that will apply the vacuum to form the plastic sheet over whatever mold you have made.

3. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Dennis...I can't watch the videos (or any other videos for that matter) because nobody in the area in which I live offers high speed internet. I am on dial-up and in the past I have tried to view videos and the download time was five or six hours. I am unable to really take advantage of all of the instructional videos and tutorials that are available. This explains why I am so dumb when it comes to learning my way around this whole business. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy it, but miss out on a lot. The only high speed connection I can get is Hughs which requires a satellite dish on my house and there is no line of sight which will allow for that. I know this because they have been out here and told me that. Thanks for the info on the vacuum and heater.

Thanks again,

Chuck

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Ahhh - I remember the years when all I had was a dial-up connection, so I definitely understand your troubles. (I think we need to pester M&T for some still photos of all the pieces they have formed.)
    As you know M&T ship a CD with the instructional videos with the PP s and I expect they'll do the same with the Phlatformer. I will get more info when I meet them in Toledo next week and I plan to share any interesting tidbits.

5. Chuck

Chuck New Member

Going to Toledo, huh? Great. Actually I wanted to go and even planned on going in order to meet Mark and Trish but realized the show dates were in conflict with previous (paid for) commitments so I can't go. Mark and Trish have been great and patient with me and the dial up stuff. I know they are busy, especially now. Thinking about my situation makes me wonder how many other out there are in the same boat. There must be a lot of places in the country without any high speed connections. I am certain a assembly and "how to" video would come with the kit but I just have not seen one work and don't really know what a person can make with it.
    Enjoy Toledo and please give my regards to Mark and Trish. Thanks!

Chuck
    ...somewhere in Indiana...

6. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Hi Chuck,
    Did you try watching the new video Mark made for Youtube? It is only a 2 min video, so on dialup you should be able to watch it.
    Here is the link:
    http://phlatforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=216&t=1630&p=18116#p18111

Also I edited your title so it wouldn't get confused with the actual Phlatformer thread. Hope you don't mind.

7. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

It is amazing and a shame that in the US there are still places where you can't get high-speed Internet. I just read yesterday that South Korea has the fastest connections and that the US is only ranked 17th. They said, in that report, that the main reason for it is, from all things, lack of competition. Who new!!!

8. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Yoram thats unreal!