1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Universal Phlatprinter Stand

Discussion in 'Phlatprinter 3 MODS' started by 3DMON, Dec 27, 2010.

1. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Hey guys!
    Here is a stand you can make for your Phlatprinter (any of them).
    I got the idea from Marks MK II stand.

All materials come to under $50. Attached files [​IMG] Universal Phlatprinter Stand.skp (3.4 MB)Â [​IMG]

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Yeah, a rolling microwave stand! Excellent! :D

3. 3DMON

Added finished pic to the first post.
    From designing to completed build, it took me about 6hrs total.

4. kyyu

kyyu Active Member

Nice stand. Thanks! :)

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

Very nice stand, very sturdy, made of common materials.
    Now, attach a power strip along the backside with a cord long enough to reach the wall socket, and add a shelf for extra goodies, and you could start selling these as DIY accessory kits for any PP owner. It's just an idea. ;) :roll:

6. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Good looking stand Shaun. Thanks.

7. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

Nice. That's kind of what I had started as last summer for my MK1.5. Neat, simple and sturdy. But the heat was to much and our brains were fried of logic. This is what things ended up as(old photo of unfinished unit).
    It's now fully APS powered, filtered and AC isolated, has a Dremal speed control, led light control, power drawer-(open/close/lock), dust collector on/off, BT micro keyboard, and quad parallel switch port to run both my cnc rigs and a printer off one cpu. The classic heat induced tinkerer overkill ;)

download/file.php?id=7974&mode=view
    download/file.php?id=7972&mode=view

8. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Wow Tbird, that is the deluxe model, nice.

9. 3DMON

I remember when you built that stand. Gotta love the automatic drawer. :D

10. 3DMON

I decided to add a bottom shelf to give my MK1.5 a home. There is enough room there for the lid to raise all the way up too.
    I love the size comparison. :D Attached files [​IMG]

11. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Shaun that ROCKS! :D
    2x the fun! :mrgreen:
    Thanks brother
    Mark and Trish

12. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

That's darned nice.... and yes love the size comparison. I sold mine well before the PPwas shipped, and rotated the PP on my stand so it was kind of hard to tell.

13. jkarnacki

jkarnacki Member

I've got my table almost done, just need to add the table top. Time for bed, but I had fun rolling it around the garage and admiring my handiwork - I never work with wood so this was a nice easy project to start with!

- Jeff

14. 3DMON

Cool! I hope to see some finished pics.

15. 66tbird

66tbird Moderator Staff Member

:D yep, that how it starts ;) Then you'll need sides down below to keep dust off the Mk1.5, then a shelf/drawer to hold your bits and change tools. Oh :!: then there's lighting, and might as well add a power strip to the show too ;) It's an addictive cycle of solving a build for a mounting growth of simplifying a future work load.

16. 3DMON

LOL, yeah I already had a bunch of ideas in mind. I figured I would get the main part built to get the machines on first. I think the next thing to add will be some sort of fold self for the laptop to sit on. I haven't figured that part out yet though.

17. theothers

theothers Administrator Staff Member

This really turned out great. Mark had considered using the spare attachment mounting holes on the side to mount a lap top "tray.". That would be cool!

Mark and Trish

18. jkarnacki

jkarnacki Member

I mounted two power strips (can you say blown fuse?) on the front of my UPS. Not the mail carrier, the "Universal Phlatprinter Stand," of course. One is next to my work bench to power hot glue guns, TX charger, possibly lipo chargers, etc. On the right is the stock strip that came with the kit that will power my Phlatty's spindle, vacuum, and driver board (and the other power strip). I just need a couple more switches so that I can have power going to the other strip at all times without keeping the phlatty powered up.

When mounted the table top I chose to use the bowed side of the board facing up, so that there would be a small hump towards the ceiling in the middle of the table in hopes it would settled down with the weight of the phlatty on it. The bow seems to have reversed directions, and now there's between 1/32" and 1/16" of light coming through the middle of my phlatprinter. It's a pretty small gap and I highly doubt it will cause any problems even if the phlatty did take on that small bit of warp. But I thought I would mention it just to be safe and get your guyz' opinions.

Unfortunately I burnt an axis on my driver board (don't ask :lol:) but there's a new one in the mail I should have in a couple days. I can't wait to get cutting again. I no longer have to worry about my foam bumping into my computer desk, as there is PLENTY of space for it to move in and out of the machine with no obstructions. I did have to fold both leaves of my workbench in (lost 3 ft of workbench space), but I never built anything on them anyway, they were always just cluttered. This stand is a much better use of my space.

Thanks for the plans, 3Dmon - this was a fun, easy, and very useful build!

- Jeff

[attachment=2]IMG_1118[1].JPG[/attachment]
    [attachment=1]IMG_1119[1].JPG[/attachment]
    [attachment=0]IMG_1120[1].JPG[/attachment] Attached files .JPG][​IMG] .JPG][​IMG] .JPG][​IMG]

19. 3DMON

Your stand turned out great Jeff.
    I like the power strips mounted on the legs.
    I'm surprised your MDF had a bow. Mine didn't have any. If it is sinking down in the middle now then I think you would be fine with that. It is probably matching whatever bow might have been in the 2x4. I spent like 20 min's sorting through the pile of 2x4's to find the straightest ones I could find. It's amazing how almost each one I picked up was warped really bad.

20. jkarnacki

jkarnacki Member

Yea I'm not too concerned about it since the bow is so small but I guess it's worth backing off a couple of the screws a bit. I had to do that on the sides of the table as the wood I was using was pretty sketchy, too.

Oh yea, forgot to mention - I was going to use the included velcro to mount the power strips but I figured bolting them on would be stronger and more permanent. Furthermore, I ALWAYS need more velcro for mounting lipos :D

Am I the only person who's built this stand? Maybe all you previous phatty owners already have one...

- Jeff

21. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

Mine sits on a media center that I cut the top off of :D

22. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

I modified my existing stand I made for my MK1

Thread on PhlatStand for MKI: viewtopic.php?f=107&t=410

Here are some pics of the PP on the modified PhlatStand
    1) Front shot. Notice PP is rotated 90 degrees from the MKI. Also I had to add two 1x3s to get it enough lenght
    2) Close up of lighted switches I have for the steppers, vac, and roto-tool
    3) back (which needs cleaned up) Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]