1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

where to start?

Discussion in 'Sketchup Help' started by gizzmo, Mar 28, 2010.

1. gizzmo

gizzmo New Member

Hi everyone,

I would like to use Sketchup to create buildings in N scale for my train layout.
    After seeing a lot of nice drawings here on the forum I think my idea to use Sketchup for this concept part of my cnc code is not such a bad idea.
    Ive seen a lot of tutorials about using Sketchup and some Phlatscript video's, but still I don't know where to start.
    To give you guys a better idea of what I would like to make --> here's a picture of a styreen house kit:
    [​IMG]

As you can see this is build out of different layers you have walls, windows, doors, wall decorations, and so on ...
    So by just drawing a house in Sketchup I don't think I'm able to produce something like a building kit.
    What do you think would be the best way to create a cnc ready kit?

Many thanks for giving your view on this!
    GreetZ,
    David

2. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

I would start with something small and easy. Like say a small shed for the backyard, or something like that.

This will get you used to the Sketchup skills you will need for your hobby. Then just work your way up to the more complicated stuff building on what you have learned on the previous drawings.

N scale is rather small, what will you be using for building materials? The foam we use here would be a bit too big I would think.

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Maybe you could use poster board? I have run that through the Phlatprinter and it cuts good.
    Well actually you can buy 1mm, 2mm 3mm,etc... depron so I think you should be fine there.
    This will be a very cool project! Looking forward to seeing how the designs turn out.
    Here are a few easy to follow video tutorials that cover all the tools that Sketchup has to offer.
    http://sketchup.google.com/training/vid ... o_gsu.html
    Once you get through these short videos you will be well on your way. :)
    Mark