1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Which Download's do I need for Sketchup 8

Discussion in 'Sketchup Help' started by sunnybreeze, Apr 26, 2011.

1. sunnybreeze

sunnybreeze New Member

I'm new to this site so be kind to the new guy! I normally work my Cad in Rhino but need a free 2D Gcode generator for my CNC machine. I downloaded Sketchup Version 8 and before I get frustrated which downloads do I need to plug-in for 1: DXF import to Sketchup and 2: for Gcode generator for simple 2D operations. I have a 3D Gcode generator which I'm very happy with but need to DUMB DOWN the operation. If someone could send me in the correct direction that would be great.
    Thanks
    Steve

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Hi Steve welcome to the Phlatforum! :D
    You will need the version 7.1 of SketchUp found here: viewtopic.php?f=96&t=440&start=0 Also download the free dxf/dwg importer plugin.

Once you have those installed you can go here viewforum.php?f=98&start=0 and download the Phlatscript(SketchUcam) plugin that will allow you to mark your files for the desired cuts and output the gcode for your machine.
    Here is a link to other plugins we find useful to have to work up your files as well.
    viewtopic.php?f=185&t=2720&start=0
    Have Fun! and please remember to share, it what keeps the Phlatforum cool! :good:
    Mark and Trish

3. pagercam

pagercam New Member

Does this mean that we shouldn't be using 8.0?

4. dugd1013

dugd1013 Member

I use 8.0 almost exclusively. It works for what I am doing most of the time. One of the biggest troubles I have found with 8.0 is dragging parts over other parts when doing a nesting configuration. 8.0 will likely glitch when the click and drag trail line intersects with another model part. I haven't had any other troubles with 8.0. Like others have said, 8.0 doesn't have some of the file import functions that 7.1 has so you might find 7.1 more user friendly. If you happen to need assistance with your files most other folks are using version 7.

5. sunnybreeze

sunnybreeze New Member

Mark,
    Thank you for the reply. I removed Version 8 and Installed Version 7 with no problem. Spent some time with it and It's not a bad program. Can't beat the price!!

Then I download PhlatscripT 924. I extracted all the files to Google Sketch-up 7. I'm not usually this dim but what am I missing here. Do I extract to Sketchup 7 or straight to the plugin folder? The files are there but I doing something wrong as the Phlatscript taskbar is not coming up in Sketchup 7. Sorry for the newbie questions. How do I go into the files to activate then? I'm not getting the merge files screen popping up. The video is hard to see or hear so it's not working for me.

Thanks for the help.
    Steve

6. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

I think it may be that your Phlatboyz toolbar is not turned on. Try going to View>Toolbars>Phlatboyz once that is checked you should be able to thee the tools
    If not also check Window>Preferences>Extensions and make sure Phlatboyz Tools is Checked there. (you will need to restart Sketchup after that this to make sure its there).
    Hope this helps, let us know please.
    Thanks
    Mark and Trish

7. sunnybreeze

sunnybreeze New Member

Mark,
    You were correct. Just had to Checkmark the Phlatboyz in toolbars and I'm in business.
    Works great. Thanks for the free software and this is a very cool site. Thanks for maintaining it.
    Steve in Maine