1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Yoram's Mods

Discussion in 'Phlatprinter 3 MODS' started by TigerPilot, Jul 31, 2011.

1. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

In my other thread, about the limit switches, I've said that I might relocate my power supply today, and that's what I did. It's now in the cabinet under the printer.

Attached files [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

nice job Yoram! :doubleup:
    Mark and Trish

3. TigerPilot

When I posted the above picture no one asked why I need two power-supplies. Now you know why. The video is the maiden cut with the new motor. I'm disappointed with the noise. I guess the added two bearings made it loud. I must say that when I ran the motor on the bench, just the naked motor, it was not as quite as I thought it would be and now with the added two bearing it is LOUD. I used 5/16 router bearings but still, it's not what I hoped for. If anyone has an idea how to make it quieter, I'm open to suggestions.

In the video I show the two power supplies. Number two is the one for the motor. It's a24V 14.5A power supply. It's all just temporary installed to see how it works. I'll have to find a better solution for the servo controller. The ESC will be mounted on the plate you see. It's a fire barrier of sort. For just in case. I most likely will install the servo control on top of the PP somewhere near the E-Switch. I also have some heat-shrink coming and will use it on all the connection. The cutting speed is in mm which works out to about 30ipm. It cuts faster but than the corners are round. I'm cutting, BTW, Dollar Tree foam and it is the Piaget 3D.

I also show the z-axis mod I made. I changed the x-axis pulley to an aluminum one and had this pulley so I mounted it on the z-axis. I didn't like the big pulley idea from day one. I had to get a smaller belt. It's a 10.4" belt I got form Amazon. It's way cheaper than the one form SDI place, or what ever they are called, that rips you off. I paid for one belt about $2,40 and shipping was $5.50. It would have been more than $12 total at the ripoff place. Amazon had also some other similar belts, one for $0.60 and one for, I think, $0.40. I got them all for a total of less than $9.00 Might as well, for that price.

Tomorrow I'll cut some wood and I'll see how it goes.

Attached files [​IMG]

4. kram242

Yoram! this is awesome! Phlatprinting with and RC brushless motor :banger:
    Need more pics/info on how you made the chuck and spindle shaft please?
    Nice work brother!
    Mark and Trish

5. blindflight

blindflight Moderator Staff Member

Very nice set up.. :idea:

6. hawk flyer

hawk flyer Member

It's nice to see it in action Yoram, Great job!

Eric

7. TigerPilot

The replacement shaft is the one I found here, on this forum. viewtopic.php?f=107&t=805. I ordered with it the collet, 3mm-3.5mm, for a total of just over 27 shipped from China. Shipping was a bit slow, though.

I had Eric, hawk flyer, over to see how I do it and swore him to secrecy. :D Now the cat can be let out of the bag. :dance3:

8. EdwardG

EdwardG New Member

I would try isolation dampers on the bearings as the noise you are hearing might be vibration being translated to the mount :twitch:

9. 7up

7up Moderator Staff Member

Very nice job Yoram! :doubleup:

10. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Very nice. :good:

11. thunder hawk

thunder hawk Member

G.H. Boyd Systems, P.O. Box 235 Griffith, IN 46319
    Cool. :good: :cool:

GHB :D

12. TigerPilot

That's most likely what it is, my question is, what are these isolation dampers?

13. Jnida63

Jnida63 Member

14. thunder hawk

thunder hawk Member

G.H. Boyd Systems, P.O. Box 235 Griffith, IN 46319
    I have some questions.

What is the advantage of using a brushless motor over a standard router?
    Is the torque better ?
    Do you get better control over RPM's ?

If it is better than a router, then my thought is, put a rotary encoder on the
    brushless motor spindle and program a PIC chip to control the RPM's of the spindle.

Very cool concept to explore.

Thanks.
    George :D

15. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Down in the weeds. Staff Member

Very cool work, Yoram! I also like thunderhawk's idea to take it to the next level!

16. TigerPilot

thunder hawk, the speed control of the spindle is amazing. That alone made it worth it. I also hoped it will be much quieter which was my main reason to start this undertaking. I commented a few times that I don't quiet trust the flex shaft and I didn't want to put a router upfront, again because they are loud. I will look into the rotary encoder, down the road, and might implement it.

17. TigerPilot

Jeff, these are not bearing isolators they are motor isolators. The bearings are to take the side-moment load of the motor, since it was not designed for that kind of force. They are not supporting the motor at all. You can see that the top bearing is way above the motor. I may need different kind of bearings. I don't know if there are quite running bearings.

18. TigerPilot

I know that the problem with the noise is not just one item but I still have to start looking and isolating as many problems as I can. One that I most likely will not eliminate is the fact that when the key-plate with the motor on it is mounted on the gantry the gantry acts as a sound-box in a guitar. To eliminate that I'll have to use rubber padding between the gantry and the key-plate which will cause problems with the precision of the PP, so that is out.

I suspected bearing form the beginning. I took the motor off and installed the original shaft back on. While installing it I fixed the bell to the shaft and slipped the shaft through the top bearing and tried to twist the bell to see how it runs. Immediately I could hear the rough run of the bearing. I assembled the motor and run it to see if it will get as hot as it does when I'm cutting. I let it run a few minutes and it was loud and when I shut it off I couldn't touch the motor. The wires weren't even a little warm. I suspect that the bad bearing is causing my noise and heat problems. I took out the bearing and found out that they are two bearings and not one. The third bearing, the one on the bottom of the motor is a bigger bearing and runs quiet.

Where can I get good bearing like the ones in the picture? The shaft is 8mm and the O.D. is 12mm. These are very small bearings. I wonder if I can get good quality bearings in this size. Attached files [​IMG]

19. dugd1013

dugd1013 Member

20. TigerPilot

Thanks, dugd1013.

21. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

I'm surprised for such a big motor they would put such small bearings on there. I think you will still run into issues even if you put new bearings in. It might be best to find a motor with larger bearings on the top and bottom.

22. kram242

23. rcav8r

rcav8r Moderator Staff Member

You may also want to check Boca bearings. http://www.bocabearings.com
    When I modded my MKI machine I got all my bearings there. I though the quality was very good, price was very reasonable, and service was quick.

24. TigerPilot

I was surprised too when I had them out, Shaun. You may be right and I may have to go with a different motor. I'll look into it before I buy some bearings. The bearings Mark found are $30 for ten. If I buy a motor I may have to add $20 to it and may not have these problems any more. Something to ponder on. Thanks all for your input and help.

25. kram242

I wonder if it would be possible to use a smaller shaft diameter. So than you could find a bearing with the same OD and a smaller ID would give you more of a bearing then this little guys? Just a thought may not be worth the extra hassle if you can find a motor with bigger bearings from the start.
    Good luck with the project Yoram :good: (subscribed)
    Mark and Trish