1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Yoram's Mods

Discussion in 'Phlatprinter 3 MODS' started by TigerPilot, Jul 31, 2011.

1. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Most likely Yoram is using the ER Collet adapter that has an 8mm shaft. It's cool because you can just swap the motor shaft with the collet adapter.

2. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Shaun, you are correct, the Collete adapter is an ER11 and can take various collets up to 7mm, I think.

Mark, I could machine the shaft down on a lathe and look for a better bearing. I will have to change the top bearing too. But for goodness sake, these motors ALL come like this. ALL of them. Makes no difference in the price or manufacturer. I understand that they do it to keep it compact. The stock bearings, if you hold them on the shaft, like in the picture, in your hand and twist the shaft while holding the outer bearing ring you can feel how rough it runs. The bearings that you mentioned, Mark, are sold for $36 shipped. I need only two and will have to buy ten. I'll have at least eight laying around for nothing, that is if they are good. If they are not good, I'll have ten laying around. :girl_cray2:

Edit: In hindsight, I can't machine the shaft down since the bell has to fit on the shaft and I can't add to it, I'll have to make a custom bell, which is way beyond my scope of capabilities.

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

4. TigerPilot

After all the help everyone gave me I have to admit I gave you false information. My only excuse is that all the data I got said 8mm. The motor data and the replacement shaft data but the real measurement is 5/16". I had bought before 8mm bearings and they come in at 8.1mm which is a totally unacceptable play. I had to get new bearings which where 5/16" and they fit just perfect. The problem is that the OD of the bearing I need is true 12mm, measured with a digital caliper and the ID is 0.313" measured, which is 5/16. So I'm back to square one! :girl_cray2:

5. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

aggg, I hate when that happens, and it happens a lot around here.
    but on a good note it does build up the stock pile of misc parts around the shop :D
    Mark and Trish

6. TigerPilot

The new bearings came today. The motor turns now much smoother. Now when it runs I can feel the vibrations which also make the noise. I'm sure it's because of the bell. I don't know how to dynamically balance the bell. I tried to statically balance it but I couldn't fine a heavy spot. It just turns on the shaft and stops at a different spot every time. I'm sure that if I get the vibrations out this setup will be quite. Anybody knows how to balance this motor? Pic of it is on the first page.

7. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

To dynamically balance it, just put a small piece of tape on one side, spin it up and see if vibrations are better or worse. If things are worse move the tape around. You might need a few pieces of tape and it can take a while to get it right. The first thing though would be remove the label or add the first piece of tape to fill the gap the label makes.

8. TigerPilot

Good idea, Shaun. Thanks. Will try and we'll see what will happen. In the meantime I will have to return the bearings. I ordered the high quality bearings Mark suggested and paid the higher price but go inferior bearings. I paid $30 for them and they shipped me the ones that cost $20.