1. Hey guyz. Welcome to the All New Phlatforum!

The Phlatforum is a place we can all hang out and

have fun sharing our RC adventures!

2. Dismiss Notice

Z-depth and multi-pass?

Discussion in 'SketchUcam Help' started by gizzmo, May 15, 2009.

1. gizzmo

gizzmo New Member

Hi everyone,

I recently discovered this site while looking for a easy way to design and process my CNC drawings for my proxxon mf70 cnc mill.
    I must say there is some great info on this site and forum!
    unfortunately I'm not immediately investing in the Phlatprinter, sinds my mill is still brand new.
    But i really like the plugins for Sketchup, and I'm now looking around to see if i can use them for my needs.
    So my question is, is there a way to set parameters for the Z axis and is there a function to make multi-passes ... so lets say my sheet of styrene is 1.2mm and i would like to cut through in 2 passes so 2 times 0.6 mm?

Hope some one can help me!
    GreetZ
    David

2. 3DMON

3DMON Moderator Staff Member

Multipass setting is done through the Mach3 program. Welcome to the forum!

3. kram242

kram242 Administrator Staff Member

Right now the Phlatscript plug in is set up to do single passes at a particularly depth that you set say for center line cuts.
    You could however, do two centerline cuts say the first at 25% and then the second at say 75% (or 110% if you want the bit to cut all the way through)
    I think this will be a nice feature to be added in the future when we get more into the 3D aspect of the Phlatscript.
    Hope this helps
    Thank you for all the complements, this is truly the greatest group of guys(girl) around and we can't thank them enough for making this forum a great resource for everyone out the wanting to learn. Like me :)
    Mark

4. gizzmo

gizzmo New Member

Do you have a little more information on that one? :eek:

5. 3DMON

On the original Mach3 screenset, there is a button for Multipass. After pressing it, it will ask you how much to drop on each pass before it gets to the final depth.
    Try it without runing an actual part first so you can uderstand how it works.

Shaun

6. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

3-d i looked for the multi-pass button.....man i dont see one, lols. randy.

7. TigerPilot

TigerPilot Well-Known Member

Actually, it's not a button, it's a wizard (could be a button that calls the wizard). Go to the menu line and click on 'wizard' then 'pick wizard'. In the drop-down list look for 'multi pass' and click on it.

8. rjarois

rjarois Moderator Staff Member

thx yoram, i will check it out. randy.

9. 3DMON

My bad. I have been using an older version of Mach and it has a multipass button on it. I checked out the newer version and yes it is in the wizards. In the one in the wizards section you should only need to worry about "step depth" which is how much you want it to drop on each pass and "depth" which is your final depth. Also you might want to consider the "feedrate plunge" if your machine has a fast Z axis. For the phlatprinter users the "depth" setting should be a negative number, and the "step depth" a positive number.

One thing I noticed when using this wizard is if you want tabs it will wipe them out unlike the older version that I was originally using. I don't know why they messed it up like that. I will check and see if we can somehow get the old version into the newest Mach3 version.

I hope this info will help you guys out. Sorry for the confusion in my earlier post.